Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Women out there Restoring their Bug
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Any Women out there Restoring their Bug Reply with quote

Ok I've been on this sight for the last couple of months and have learned tons of stuff. But I only see Men chatting? Wondering if their are women out there since I am.

I have owned my 68 bug just over two months had a mechanic work on the engine now I'm taking care of the rest (can't afford the mechanic).

Everytime I think I'm over my head I come here and make it to the next step.

I have done TONS of reading everyday for the last several weeks as of three weeks ago I didn't even know what a pickle fork or a ball joint was.

So to thank all you guys out there for helping me out I do appreciate it.

Kenda
wantsAbugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lets start at the begining. Rome wasn't built in a day so take your time with your project. Do the research and get the right tools and manuals. Do it step by step and take your time.

I know a few women here where I am that work on their cars. 3 that I can think of off the top of my head. 1 of which I have personally watched pull and engine by herself, I was quite impressed.

As for doing the work to your car; only you know it is done right.
73 Westy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
joshuas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know there aren't very many of you on here, start a club for women, i'll let my daughter's join, they're getting their first bugs next year... they'll be ten and nine, it'd be cool to have them in a girls only vw club...
Kenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshuas wrote:
you know there aren't very many of you on here, start a club for women, i'll let my daughter's join, they're getting their first bugs next year... they'll be ten and nine, it'd be cool to have them in a girls only vw club...

I've been looking into creating a VW Club for Women I just don't have time right now all my spare time goes to my BUG! I always wanted a bug for as far back as I can remember and I figured there's no time like the present. All my female friends think I'm NUTS and said they won't drive in the BUG until they know for sure it will be able to stop first...LOL

I have learned so much and actully love working on my bug - When I got the wiring hooked up for the engine - took me forever to figure out everything - Once I was able to turn the engine over I was like a little kid jumping up and down all excited that I DID IT.

Once I get the disc brakes on and I'm able to bleed them correctly I'll feel a lot better.

Kenda
DMC-12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several women on here. They don't post often though. Hopefully they'll see your post and speak up.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are a few over in the T3 forum.
One of them, Avyinc is tackling a job that many men would run from.
Stop in over there and meet the girls. Cool
And welcome to the forums. Since you've been reading for awhile, you know it gets rough at times. Just don't let it get to you. Learn to use the search function, and ask away. Most of the folks here are very helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
I know there are a few over in the T3 forum.
One of them, Avyinc is tackling a job that many men would run from.
Stop in over there and meet the girls. Cool
And welcome to the forums. Since you've been reading for awhile, you know it gets rough at times. Just don't let it get to you. Learn to use the search function, and ask away. Most of the folks here are very helpful.

Most everyones been GREAT and most probably don't know they are speaking with a female - no big deal though.

The only thing I would say is they need to give more information because when you tell a woman that she needs a pickle fork most wil go to the kitchen and get one...LOL

Kenda
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, Kenda
i live at chino too but i only seen couple bug around here. there is a baja bug and a yellow bug within two or three street away from me. i also have seen a pre 67 red bug but he live a block from me. let me know what color is your bug and i said hi, the next time i see you. i won't be drive mine for a while since i still haven't finsih fix it and i'm going back to school this coming week.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Female wrench-turner: do a search for "ghia girl" and you will find a good site for a couple that works together- Skye and Traci. Good read with a lot of tech stuff...
Kenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yiucycle wrote:
hey, Kenda
i live at chino too but i only seen couple bug around here. there is a baja bug and a yellow bug within two or three street away from me. i also have seen a pre 67 red bug but he live a block from me. let me know what color is your bug and i said hi, the next time i see you. i won't be drive mine for a while since i still haven't finsih fix it and i'm going back to school this coming week.

WOW small world - I'm not on the road yet still on jacks with no front suspesion in the driveway - it's primered now but I'm going to paint it the vw beige color.

I saw a bug the other day off walnut that looked AWESOME but a little to low for my taste.

Have you or anyone you know used the vw shop on the corner of Riverside & central? he has tons of vw's in the parking area that he's always working on.

Kenda
Kenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oc92 wrote:
Female wrench-turner: do a search for "ghia girl" and you will find a good site for a couple that works together- Skye and Traci. Good read with a lot of tech stuff...

Really I'll need to check that out.

I'm learning slowly but surely - it helps that my ex-husband was a mechanic so I know some things - (now i wish I got all the tools in the divorce) LOL

Kenda
Katy9532
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a bug girl, (74 standard). I have been lurking on this site for while now, and have pretty much figured out all the answers to my questions by searching older threads. I have never figured out how to introduce myself so I guess I will now!!!!

HI!!!!
Kenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katy9532 wrote:
I too am a bug girl, (74 standard). I have been lurking on this site for while now, and have pretty much figured out all the answers to my questions by searching older threads. I have never figured out how to introduce myself so I guess I will now!!!!

HI!!!!

GREAT to have you - I have learned so much from this site - Do you have any pics?

What kind of work have you done or doing?

Kenda
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenda wrote:
Have you or anyone you know used the vw shop on the corner of Riverside & central? he has tons of vw's in the parking area that he's always working on.

sorry, i have no idea. but you can try posting it at Inland Valley VW forum: www.ivvw.org, they might able to tell you which is a reputable shop around the area.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SandSquid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter (13-3/4, going on 30) is restoring her 71 'Vert. The body is a bare shell and she is now taking it down to bare metal and welding up the few small pin-holes of rust here and there. She is planing to buy all the parts to do a 1776 engine build with her "Christmas cash". We hope to have it "on the road" by her 16th birthday, and ultimately ready for the track for the 2010 SCCA (Solo) season. But she does not hang out on The Samba. She say's there are too many "grumpy old men" here. Wink
1974 Super Beetle, ("Put-Putt")
1971 Super Beetle Convertable (a bare shell.)
1987 Volvo 745Ti 835k Mi. "Grouchy"
1988 Volvo 764Ti 380k Mi. "Speedy"
1988 Volvo 765Ti 160k Mi. "Road Trip!!!"
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there. i'm a girl and i have a bug and a bus. the bug is more mine and the bus is more my husband's but i spend equal amounts of time here and on the bay forum. i guess because of the nature of the topic most people just assume you're a boy unless you say otherwise, but us girls are on here and we're out there working on our cars too.

luckily, i haven't had to do too much mech stuff to my bug but i've torn down the interior and done a lot of body resto stuff to it.

good for you to do your own work!
have fun!
Very Happy
Katy9532
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenda~

I do have photos, but I'm not very computer savvy so I will try to figure out how and post them later.

The ongoing work on the bug...... the PO told me he had done alot of work on the bug like rebuilt the engine, new brakes, new brake lines..... his list went on and on. I found out after a week of owning it IF he did do all that, he did not do a good job, so I have been really cleaning up his mess since I got it!! My boyfriend is teaching me how to do everything so I do have to give him alot of credit.... We have put new brakes on the rear and had to replace the wheel cylinder because it was leaking brake fluid all over my carport. New generator pulley and fan belt because both broke as I was cruising down the highway.
Still to come.... the fan is griding on the fan shroud, and it leaks MASSIVE amounts of oil, so those are the next projects. But to make matters worse, I broke down today as I was driving around town. I think maybe the fuel filter is clogged and it keeps dieing do to fuel starvation (yes I do have gas in the tank, I did not just run out). We shall see.....

What work have/are you doing?

(sorry for the novel length response)
Kenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I made my own mistakes as well. I bought an engine from a guy that said it was all rebuilt it ended up having more issues and was a bad rebuild I had to take it to a mechanic to get the work done since I did not have the experience to work on it myself.

So far I have stripped the interior - took apart all the seats fixed the springs repainted them and had them re-Upholstered.

hooked the electrical only for the engine - I still haven't hooked the lights or anything. I figured before I can do anything more it needs to be able to stop so I have pulled all the front brakes off replaced the tie rod ends and ball joints - this weekend I'll be putting the front disc brakes, and new master cylinder - I'm hoping that I'll get to the back disc brakes this weekend as well. I so want to take it for a short spin around the block heck at this point I would be happy with driving it back and forth on the drive way. LOL

I've only really had it for three weeks before that it was at the mechanic.

Kenda
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lois Grace, who writes the VolksWoman column for the VW CLub of America's newletter, the Autoist, runs a club called the Frau Line (spelling)-you might contact the VW Club of America about it.

I dated a girl who had a 73, did most of her own wrenching and really liked the car. We actually met because at the time I was using a VW bus as the service vehical for my plumbing business, she asked me about it and we got on pretty well. So yeah, fewer women are out there now that are into VWs but they are there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I probably should have said I was a woman. Get more attention that way!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: