Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coleman propane on a Westy stove
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
elstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Coleman propane on a Westy stove Reply with quote

Has anyone adapted their stove to use the little green Coleman disposable propane tanks? I think I saw a picture of this in the gallery, but can't find it now.

Any ideas?
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to abandon the whole gas idea since I don't like the big gas bottles. I got this stove:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=424A700&categoryid=2020

Runs on unleaded gasoline. Cool
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DEadsfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: coleman stove Reply with quote

Ilike theidea,when you cross from the UK to France the connections on the gaz bottles are different so you either have to carry a European bottle taking up valuable space or hope you dont run out of gas obviuosly petrol is available anywhere .I dont know wether driving around with a gallon of petrol in the back of your bus is any more hazadous than a gas bottle
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please only use refillable bottles. No need to add to our landfill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard of people using a regulator from the stove to those little propane tanks. we were looking to buy a bus once where the PO had done that modification. i wish i could tell you more but, honestly, i don't know what a "regulator" really is. i do know that the big tank had been removed from the bottom and i think they ran the "regulator" under there. we were thinking of doing that ourselves but we have the big tank on our bus and have never needed anything but the fire to cook when we camp so we've never gotten around to it.
does your propane tank not work? what are your motivations for wanting to do this? not judging, just curious because we had also thought about it. that big ole tank under under the bottom just kind of gives me the creeps. for that reason we've never even gotten it filled, though i imagine we will at some point just to see what happens.
elstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

static wrote:
Please only use refillable bottles. No need to add to our landfill.

I agree completely, but there's no reason you have to chuck them into a landfill just because they're called "disposable." It's not the easiest thing, but they can be recycled:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/faq/faqreturn.asp?question=26

I use the stove inside the bus so infrequently, I'd rather not have a full tank of propane on the bus for years before I use it all. I'm already carrying the coleman bottles for the portable stove and it would be convenient to be able to use the same thing for both.

Oh yeah, I don't have a fixed tank, so I'd have to install one. I guess the PO removed it. I do have a fairly new regulator and all the propane lines.

As an alternative, does anyone know of a source for similar sized (about 1 or 2 lbs) refillable propane tanks?

Last edited by elstrom on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
renobdarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMax78 wrote:
I decided to abandon the whole gas idea since I don't like the big gas bottles. I got this stove:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=424A700&categoryid=2020

Runs on unleaded gasoline. Cool

I used to have one of the smaller Colemans that ran on unleaded. It made my pots all black. Propane burns much cleaner.
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see if someone actually has been able to do this, as my tank can't be filled, the valves all leak. I can't seem to find them except from bus boys and it's $175 and I'd have to get the whole tank. Only my valves are bad!
I'm beginning to think that my stove is just for looks, and will never function... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Coleman propane on a Westy stove Reply with quote

elstrom wrote:
Has anyone adapted their stove to use the little green Coleman disposable propane tanks? I think I saw a picture of this in the gallery, but can't find it now.

Any ideas?

I have, just put a regulator on the end of the black hose coming from the stove.

I keep the little bottle under the stove/sink unit. but disconnect it when not cooking.

I don't have pics right now I'm afraid, but I got some propane guy in everett to put the regulator on.
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use one of these?
http://www.swego.com/mall/heat_pal_5100.asp

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
missb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Here ya go Reply with quote

Here ya go - this was on an e-bay bus ad. One of the pics shows his rig under the stove cabinet. I tried to post the pic, but it was comming out real small.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...amp;rd=1,1
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Here ya go Reply with quote

missb wrote:
Here ya go - this was on an e-bay bus ad. One of the pics shows his rig under the stove cabinet. I tried to post the pic, but it was comming out real small.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...amp;rd=1,1

Check out that bondo and paint on the pass door Shocked

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wouldn't this work to connect to both your existing propane hookup on the back of the stove unit, and then to the small propane bottles?

It is described as this:

"Low Pressure Regulator Assembly consists of a POL fitting, low pressure PRESET regulator (which reduces the tank pressure to about 6 ounces, 10.5 " WC), and a five foot, 3/8" ID UL approved AGA hose with swivel connection."
jasonious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

Wouldn't this work to connect to both your existing propane hookup on the back of the stove unit, and then to the small propane bottles?

It is described as this:

"Low Pressure Regulator Assembly consists of a POL fitting, low pressure PRESET regulator (which reduces the tank pressure to about 6 ounces, 10.5 " WC), and a five foot, 3/8" ID UL approved AGA hose with swivel connection."

That works the opposite way. It allows you to use a big refillable bottle on a device that normally uses a disposable one.
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Coleman propane on a Westy stove Reply with quote

elstrom wrote:

Any ideas?

here's a pic from my bus

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get this conversion PAWESTY?

1963 Beetle
reasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fitting you need to make the conversion is readily available. Try this link: http://doitbest.com/search-PRODUCT-424935.dib

This adapter takes you to 1/4" mnpt which will fit most of the small regulators.

All of the tanks that were came with our buses are out of compliance. In additon to an inspection required every 12 years, the outlet valve has to be changed to meet current standards. Since my hot water heater requires the small bottles, I am changing the stove and the fridge to match.
1FUNBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the newer OPD valve, tanks that are permanently attached to or inside an RV are exempt.

71 Beetle, 1776, dual Kadrons
77 Westy, Camper Special 2.0 F.I.
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reasley wrote:
The fitting you need to make the conversion is readily available. Try this link: http://doitbest.com/search-PRODUCT-424935.dib

This adapter takes you to 1/4" mnpt which will fit most of the small regulators.

All of the tanks that were came with our buses are out of compliance. In additon to an inspection required every 12 years, the outlet valve has to be changed to meet current standards. Since my hot water heater requires the small bottles, I am changing the stove and the fridge to match.

the tanks are not out of complaince. i have seen these filled at uhaul centers that consider them "grandfathered".

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Coleman propane on a Westy stove Reply with quote

pawesty wrote:
elstrom wrote:

Any ideas?

here's a pic from my bus

Where did you get this conversion piece?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: