Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing cruise control - the never ending story
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Installing cruise control - the never ending story Reply with quote

I'm installing (trying to install?) a cruise control in my '87 Syncro. It did not have a factory cruise control so I had to put a vss in the speedometer. I've finished the install and the cruise control doesn't work. When I do the self test it indicates that I have vss problems. Does anyone know how the vss should be wired? It has two posts and I just ran one of them to the cruise control with nothing on the other. I'm guessing this is incorrect. I know that several folks on Samba have installed this same cruise control (Rostra) so it can be done.

thanks,
r

Ron Tipton
Knoxville, TN
[email protected]
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need a speed sensor with a manual transmission, just use the tach wire.

edit: I actually don't know that specifically about the rostra unit, but you should be able to, and you certainly can with the audiovox one.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grey wire in the connector up front goes to one leg of the VSS. The other leg of the VSS goes to ground. You can check it by putting it in test mode and rolling the car in neutral and watch to see if the LED pulses there by the switches as the car moves (it may only flash once every 5 feet or so). Do hook up the tach as well, it uses both inputs. I didn't hook up a clutch switch.

I believe I owe you the switch settings, which I forgot to give you some time ago.
1. on high
2. on high
3. on
4. off
5. off 6400
6. on
7. on
8. off 4 cyl/high
9. on
10. off sine wave
11. off manual
12. off open circuit (for the Rostra Controller)
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot (and others),

I remember awhile back you posting the make/model of your cruise control system.

Could you repost the link? I'd like to add one to my Vanagon. Will it work if your early Vanagon does not have a speed sensor on the speedo, Such as the pre 86 speedos?

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
The grey wire in the connector up front goes to one leg of the VSS. The other leg of the VSS goes to ground. You can check it by putting it in test mode and rolling the car in neutral and watch to see if the LED pulses there by the switches as the car moves (it may only flash once every 5 feet or so). Do hook up the tach as well, it uses both inputs. I didn't hook up a clutch switch.

Dogpilot you have (once again) saved the day. It works! All I needed to do was to ground the other leg of the VSS. I owe you big time!

r

Ron Tipton
Knoxville, TN
[email protected]
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok maybe a dumb question, but adding an aftermarket cruise control is high on my list, but what is a "VSS", is this part necessary to add the cruise control, and if so, where do I get one? Thanks guys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in the Rostra Cruise Control:

http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm

The Global Cruise come in two model, electric and vacuum. Use electric, far simpler installation. There are a whole host of different stalks, and you can re-use a VW one. I like their digital model best. You can get a magnet kit and put the magnets on the tranny output CV Joint.

I didn't care for having a third stalk, and the VW one not as precise so I made one combining a VW turn signal stalk and some ingenuity. THe cruise control can be had from several vendors or off ebay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
Ok maybe a dumb question, but adding an aftermarket cruise control is high on my list, but what is a "VSS", is this part necessary to add the cruise control, and if so, where do I get one? Thanks guys!

vehicle speed sensor. i guess it comes with the rostra unit.

I used an audiovox vacuum unit. Not sure why it's more difficult to install as the only difference is that you have to tee into the fat vacuum line coming off the manifold. With the audiovox unit and a manual you don't need a vss and the only connections you need are +12v, ignition switched 12v, instrument panel lighting, ground, brake light, and tach wire. It's awfully straightforward. It's also cheaper then the rostra unit. You can find it on amazon. If you have an automatic, you'll need a vss no matter what.
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I have a manual trans and get the Rostra electric unit is everything I need included or do I need to get the VSS from somewhere else? I'm planning on buying a unit soon and just trying to get edumacated. I did run a search on "cruise control" but it did'nt answer all my questions, which is why I'm asking. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VSS kit for a non-VSS equipped car is an option. Summit illustrates most of the options.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=115+400615
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: