Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

Trying to work on the brakes on my brother's '73 Thing. Never done any work on them before other than what a shop that restored it supposibly did. They were supposed to replace pretty much everything but I've found it doesn't look like they did S@#T! Anyways, first thing I was trying to check was the ajustment of the pads but I can't get the drums off the front wheels. Is there a trick to it? Also, if someone knows some other stuff to check or the best place for me to get a manual on this car I'd appreciate it. If you'd like to see some pictures on this work I'm doing or the car itself check out http://www.imagestation.com/member/join_signin_pro...4290848737
TIA
Amos
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

If you want to inspect and adjust the brake linings all you have to do is put the Thing on jackstands,take the four rubber plugs out of the brake backer plate and you will have two holes(one for each shoe)to inspect the lining thickness and two others to adjust the shoes.The two at the bottom are the adjusters,and the two alittle further out are for inspecting the lining thickness.Use either a hazet brake adjustment tool or a screwdriver to adjust each shoe seperately. If you need to pull the drums for other reasons, many times the brake shoes need to be backed off on the adjustment and then they will slide off after the wheel bearing lock nut is removed.The thing brakes are different size than a bug but adjusting them is the same,but you can get a manual for the Thing at www.thethingshop.com Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank you for your help. i didn't see the wheel bearing lock nut cause it was covered in grease. I've ajusted all the brakes now and it didn't help too much. Only thing I can guess now is that the master cyclinder is just bad, I've bleed the brakes and there still just isn't any pressure on the petal till near the floor. Got any suggestions or tips for changing the master cyclinder?
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

Did you adjust both shoes? Each shoe has it's own adjuster that turn in the opposite direction of each other.If adjusted and the rod from the brake pedal has the correct adjustment to the master cylinder (about 1/8" pedal freeplay),has fluid and no leaking brake lines,wheel cylinders and brake hoses then you need a master cylinder.Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

I do have one tip for bleeding the master cylinder after a new one is installed that will save alot of time.
After installation and filling with brake fluid loosen up the brake lines slightly and have someone pump the brakes slowly 6 or 7 times,then tighten the lines back up while the person holds the pedal to the floor.
This will get almost all of the air out of the brakes and makes bleeding much easier. Then bleed them the traditional way. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: