Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Revmaster cranks and 90mm clearencing
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Revmaster cranks and 90mm clearencing Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if they have used a "REVMASTER" flange crankshaft and if so can you tell me what you think about the brand and how did it work for you,I know they make aircraft products and I have recenctly seen the cranks being sold for type 1 automotive use,no one can tell me much about that product,also how much clearencing is needed to make a 90mm crank fit into a raised roof alum. case and is it worth the time and effort and whats the gain?? any response will be appreciated! thanx!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Denham is our resident expert on huge type 1's.I'm sure he can be of the most help.
If that crank is available with Chev rod journals, and you're comfortable with H beam rods that use 5/16's rod bolts, the clearancing isn't that big of a deal.Watch the cam/rod clearinging though.
vwgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx,yes I have emailed Jeff D. a second ago,he said its doable,some others are telling me I have to clearence the cam alot and I have a hardwelded cam,thanx for your comment!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Muffler Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the rod, thats probably going to be a .100"- .120" notch on each side of that cam. (aproximate guess on my part.)
sounds like a fun project.
STUMP PULLER.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Revmaster cranks and 90mm clearencing Reply with quote

vwgearhead wrote:
Can anyone tell me if they have used a "REVMASTER" flange crankshaft and if so can you tell me what you think about the brand and how did it work for you,I know they make aircraft products and I have recenctly seen the cranks being sold for type 1 automotive use,no one can tell me much about that product,also how much clearencing is needed to make a 90mm crank fit into a raised roof alum. case and is it worth the time and effort and whats the gain?? any response will be appreciated! thanx!

I cannot answer your question on the revmaster crank as I have not used one. However on a 90mm stroke crankshaft using H-beam rod with 5/16" bolts and a chevy rod journal your clearancing will be the same as installing an 84mm crank with VW journals. You will need to do a little clearance work on the cam, besides the normal case clearancing you would do for a 84mm crank, thats it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about the long rods, short skirts Very Happy , high pins and long barrels. Long rods to keep the pistons in the cylinders, keep the skirts away from the crank and a favorable rod ratio. Short skirts also for crank clearance. 'B' or even 'C' (if you can find them, probably JE) to help keep the whole package a bit narrower. Long barrels are necessary for the increased piston travel. Count on an engine that's at least 1-1/4" wider than stock.

What are all these extra parts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good info everybody thanx alot,in just the few comments I think I have seen what I want to see,thanx!
Joel Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Revmaster cranks in my drag car, and my street car, both 88's with chevy journal. I use a stock case, and like mentioned before, with a 5/16ths rod bolts, I could have put a 90 stroke in with ease....
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Federolf has been using one in his chop top Unlimted Street car for a few years, but he is also using the whole Revmaster 3 liter engine. 600+ rwhp too!
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx alot!,im looking close into the revmaster crank and flywheel setup!!
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a BOLD individual, aren't you? Laughing

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: