Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how rusty is your bus?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How rusty is your bus?
No rust at all!
20%
 20%  [ 31 ]
Some surface rust on roof, undercarriage or battery trays
48%
 48%  [ 72 ]
Rusty rocker panels
22%
 22%  [ 33 ]
No rocker panels
9%
 9%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 150

bay window dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: how rusty is your bus? Reply with quote

i recently bought a 98% rust free body and transmission for $500 because my old one was really rusty ( $1500 to fix) i want to see what condition other buses are in. feel free to post pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My '69 sc work truck, driven daily.
Redd73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99.5% rust free.

i found a few small patches of surface rust starting on the underside of the battery tray just last week. ill fix those this winter. there is also about a handprint sized patch of surface rust JUST starting on the back of one of the cross beams where the old undercoating has chipped away.

im not 100% sure im going to try it but i MIGHT see if i can remove most of the old old old undercoating this winter and re-spray it with a newer undercoating. i wont really be doing much, if any, winter driving but id like it to look a bit nicer under there. oh yeah, the vent cover on my ac unit underneath also has some surface rust on it but ill be removing it this winter to strip and re-paint as well.

------
73 Westy 2000cc w/dual solex (engine code GE) + aftermarket AC
Tylinol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 1 patch of rust through on the cargo floors, and it was patched by the PO.

Not bad for a bus that's spent its life in the rust belt.

72 Fiat 850 Spider - Finally alive and...oh wait, never mind...wait there it goes!...whoops, false alarm...oh - wait wait...nope, nothing.
DubKru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the windshield and a hefty battery tray rot. Not too bad really.
namwv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: 50 % Rust Free Reply with quote

Both wheel doglegs, inner wheel tub, upper 8" of drivers side sill, sliding door tract complete and last but not forgotten rear corners and rear apron. I have been told a number of times to get a body and swap everything, but it just won't be the same Olde Leroy. Will never be a show bus, just a great old have a lotta fun bus.
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no rockers just bondo...dog legs are shot...inner legs are shot....rear corners have some rust through...no battery boxes...holes in the floor....and i absolutely love driving him around.

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some rust, as I find it I cut it out & weld in new, I am going to put 4 new jacking points on soon, there is a patch on the floor (need to remove Westy cupboard to do it) & there is a patch in the engine bay (engine has to come out to do it)

New rear corner,

New battery tray

Behind Passinger seat by sliding door,

Bottom of fronjt panel,

Inside vents,

Inside headlight bowls,

Under window rubbers

As it looks now, the previous owner changed the front steps, the rear arches, inner & outer sills, done a good job too. I am not happy with the outer sill on the sliding door side cos its not straight so I will cut this out & replace it, taking more care.
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad.

The windshield channel was rusted out, the floor did fred flinstone impressions... those are both fixed. Patched the battery tray, but next time the engine is out its going to get a real fix.

The rocker panels are 100% ferrous oxide. Eventually I'll tear them out, but I'm having to much fun driving her to take her back off the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tom62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was bad

note the board to hold the end of the bumper
now

new doglegs, lower nose, repaired rockers, and dropgates, pass door
patched a couple holes in the floor and in the treasure chest,
now it's mostly rust free!
Saiboogu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got lucky (sorta) with my new bus - PO took fairly good care of the body. Rocker panels and floorboards all rusted in the past, according to the maintenance book, but new panels were welded in. Rocker panels could use some work - straight, but the bead wasn't ground down. I'll probably try to smooth that out soon.

Unfortunately the maintenance seemed to slack some towards the end - significant rot under the windshield. Battery tray also, but I'm not as worried about that. PO put a wooden shelf in that works for now, and included a replacement tray that just needs welded.

Sounds like some of you guys did your own welding - question for you. I have an oxy-acetylene torch that I picked up for some hobby / art work years ago. Played with it enough to get a little comfy with it then boxed it up when I didn't have room to setup. Can I do effective sheet metal welds with this, or do I need to go to a fancier wirefeed or MIG/TIG sort of setup? Can't afford to pay a body shop mucho $$ to repair the front clip, but I do need to get it patched up soon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas is how they did it in the old days.

I haven't messed around with oxy/acetylene rigs enough to be proficient... just enough to be a menace to society. Laughing

Heres the US army tech manual for welding... came in handy firing up my MIG, assume it'd help for gas too. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/US%20Army%20Welding%20Manual.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Househead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusted rockers, rust under windshield & nose a bit, front wheel arches, behind rear bumper almost totally gone, one crossmember rusted

Driver's side is the worst...

Saiboogu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocknrod wrote:
Gas is how they did it in the old days.

I haven't messed around with oxy/acetylene rigs enough to be proficient... just enough to be a menace to society. Laughing

Heres the US army tech manual for welding... came in handy firing up my MIG, assume it'd help for gas too. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/US%20Army%20Welding%20Manual.pdf

Menace to society is probably an accurate description of my welding skills. Smile I guess I'll fill up the tanks, find some scrap metal and start practicing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
California Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rust. My 69 Westy has always been in the dry California Desert.
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well when I got a flat it did this:

see the rust spots on the doglegs? well it wasnt a flat, it was a tread sepearation, belts became giant wire wheels at 60 mph. made what used to be rust spots holes, what used to be paint rust, and what used to be bondo road debris. see the patch over the hole that led behind the spare tire well? 100% virgin olive oil baby!

anyone want a stock jack, my bus has no use for it.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
ruckman101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidental life rust on my bus. I'm the first to address any of it. Needs battery tray, but I haven't had to resort to wood yet, that corner is having issues, too. Uhh, under my feet? Gotta get to that next. It's starting to cave in. The front window? Yikes, bubbling, I should get there sooner rather than later. The car goop might fail this winter, letting the water back in. It was leaking bad enough to short out my ignition.

I have a fantastic patina of roof rust. Very styling. A new undercoating would be wise. I've dealt with the cargo floor. As near as I could ascertain, what did it in was leakage from the side windows. Well, another area of concern, especially with my new floor in. I better get two tubes of car goop and work all the rubber before the rains set in.

Yah, gotta learn the welding. POR-15 and it's ilk can only do so much.

neal
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front floor has been patched, patches in both front wheel wells. The battery tray was replaced poorly, needs to be redone. There are 2 spots on the driver's side where PO hit a pole. The doors (not original) are rusting inside out, I'm picking up replacement doors. Other than that the body is straight, the undercarriage is solid and rust-free. This is a driver, not a show bus. Not bad for an East Coast bus (started out in OR).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Salt n Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: mostly rust free Reply with quote

I have a 74 westfalia, it is all original except for a very old (good) repaint job. I am the second owner and it's been garaged all it's life with 105000 original miles. I pulled the original windshield yesterday due to a badly shrinking spongy seal. I was afraid I might find a mess under there but there was clean paint with a couple of little bubbles in it here and there - whew! There is some light surface rust in the battery tray which I am dealing with before it gets worse and some light perforation in the inner rockers, because the PO never washed underneath it. I cleaned off about a solid inch of caked on mud and grime from the wheel wells when I first bought it a couple of years ago. This is my third westy ('71 and '77) and by far the most rust free of the bunch:) I hope to keep this one forever.

[/img]

'77 Westfalia (1998-2003)
'71 Weekender (rust in peace)
donemoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rust at all,....yet. Bought shell (no Windows), $1000, Camper 75 rotted out exterior-$75. Two weeks of sanding and bodywork, $600 paintjob. $20 roofrack.= FUN.
1966 HD Sprint H
1940 HD ULH Flathead
1985 Electra-glide Classic with Tour-Pac
1968 Harley Rapido

1968 Honda CL Scrambler 175cc
1962 Honda Cub 50 Step-thru
1980 Honda Cub 70
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: