Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chassis worries; can anyone reassure me
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
classicvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Chassis worries; can anyone reassure me Reply with quote

After years of saving I purchased a 15 window splitscreen.

The paintjob is pretty nice, the interior has been replaced, the engine bay and engine are amazing. The electrics work perfectly and then I looked underneath!

The floorpans are good and all the chassis looks good apart from the following:

The centre front chassis cross member is corroded beyond repair and needs
replaced (it crumbles in my hands when I press it; the front left
outrigger is corroded beyond repair and needs replaced. The left hand
main chassis rail is corroded both sides of the join of the left
outrigger and the centre front chassis cross member. I am absolutley gutted.

I am not overly familiar with welding; is this repairable or have I spent £11K on a duff van?

I don't know if this is an easy job or not? I don't know if this is
easy to weld and I don't know if this job will be expensive as I
cannot fix this myself.

Can anyone give me an idea of what this means?

Many thanks

Brioni
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I won't into what you paid (I don't relly know what they go for on that side of the pond) what you discribed is not that bad to replace. It is easy welding though you are upside down and those parts are bad on most busses at this point. My fear is waht is hiding under the outside paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1960bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The centre section and the outrigger are a pretty normal thing to have to replace and it's not that hard. (I've got to replace mine on my bus). The main chassis rails however are a bit more of a problem. How bad it the corrosion? If you can clean them up or sandblast them and there's just a bit of pitting you might be okay to treat them with rust killer if there are holes you will have to either cut out the rust and weld a plate over or section a piece in and butt weld it. None of it sounds terminal I would have though you could get it welded for a few hundred quid.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
classicvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: It doesn't look too bad Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

I bought the bus in South America in an attempt to get something rust free which is annoying.

Where in the UK/Europe would be the best place to get the parts needed?

Thanks

Brioni
dms
Fred G. Sanford

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a mig it's not bad , it easy welding and the parts are resonably priced, a few tools and a welder and your all set . Very Happy
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two cross members are made of sheet metal and hold the heater pipe in place; the outriggers are, also, made of sheet metal and they are all easy to replace. A section of a frame rail isn't too hard to replace if it is the straight part behind the front wheel well.
Sweet Rides
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sound to me like you`ve bough a fleetline bus. There are a few of these turing up in the U.K which, as you described have new paint and interiors etc, but are rotted out underneath.

These buses were not made in Germany and it is my opinion, through looking at various examples at shows, that as you would expect, the quality when new, was a far cry from German standards.

There are a few very clean examples of fleetlines about. They don`t fetch as much as german built VẀ buses so can be a good way of getting into Split buses cheaply. But, and here`s the bad news... Totally rust free, Clean examples of fleetlines, with a years m.o.t, nice paint, interiors etc tend to go for around £8500ish, with the german made equivalent bus going for say £12500ish or maybe a more depending on model/spec.etc

A fleetline that requires the welding you`ve described would be hard pushed to fetch £5000 even with nice paint/interioretc

So yes, at £11K (Thats $22000usd Shocked ) for a Brazilian Fleetline bus requiring some fairly heavy welding, I`m afraid you`ve most definitely been well had Sad Evil or Very Mad

I assume you probably don`t have much comeback on this deal? If that is the case then i can recommend getting in touch with Graham at FBI VW in Swansea (The nearest decent VW repair guy i can think of to you) and take your bus down to him. He`s a well respected VW bus/parts dealer who also carries out quality repair work to Splits at his premises. He wont rip you off with the repairs.

I hope this was of some help, I feel for your situation. Not good Sad
1960bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chassis repair sections are available from Autocraft or Schofields. I'd go with Graham at FBI for the welding as he is a decent guy and knows his buses, I think he's in Swansea.

Last edited by 1960bus on Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what he^ said, a 15 window from south America certainly sounds like a Brazillian Kombi, (Fleetline is a term used to describe South African built splits from CKD kits, derived from Brazil.Very similar but not quite the same.)Brazilian Kombi's certainly aren't built to the same standards as German buses, and any restowork carried out in South America will doubtless need checking thoroughly to say the least.
I'll second the suggestion to talk to Graham at FBI, he's a decent chap.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys thanks for the props for www.fbivw.com I work there and am the resident welder, I am sorry to say that we are so flat out restoring and making roadworthy the buses we import for the customers who have bought them, that we do not currently take on work on other buses.

Feel free to call is you need advice or parts, I would recomend buying the panels you need for repair from http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/

Keith Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Belluc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Brasil buses Reply with quote

If Brazilian splits are not built to the same standard as German ones, why is there so many still on the roads here??

There are good and bad buses here just like any other country. Research is the key before you buy.

Having restoring work done on buses can be a problem here. Finding good skilled workers that do a good job is a problem here but I have finally found a place that does a high quality job. But again I bet this applies to all countries.

Regarding Fleetlines, people should really do a bit of research before typing.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics??

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Belluc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6 door bay that is currently being restored. Should be finished in about a month. Will post pics then.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

er, great, but I was hoping Brioni would post some as well so we can see what he is so worried about.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Belluc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops
Sweet Rides
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brasil buses Reply with quote

Belluc wrote:
If Brazilian splits are not built to the same standard as German ones, why is there so many still on the roads here?

All European countries have some kind of Road saftey test. In England this is known as a M.O.T.

If you took a ramdom selection of say ,100 of the fleetlines that have entered the U.K from being "On the road" in Brazil, at least 95 of them would need some serious ££££ spent on them to get up to being "on the road" over here, and in some cases the cost of the necessary repairs, exceeds the actual value of the bus.

Many fleetlines have so much frame rust that the cab roofs have actually sagged down from lack of support from the non existant chassis underneath the bus Shocked
Nic B-C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brasil buses Reply with quote

Sweet Rides wrote:
Belluc wrote:
If Brazilian splits are not built to the same standard as German ones, why is there so many still on the roads here?

All European countries have some kind of Road saftey test. In England this is known as a M.O.T.

If you took a ramdom selection of say ,100 of the fleetlines that have entered the U.K from being "On the road" in Brazil, at least 95 of them would need some serious ££££ spent on them to get up to being "on the road" over here, and in some cases the cost of the necessary repairs, exceeds the actual value of the bus.

Many fleetlines have so much frame rust that the cab roofs have actually sagged down from lack of support from the non existant chassis underneath the bus Shocked

I dont think Ive ever seen a Fleetline which was no the road in brazil and has entered the UK Rolling Eyes

Might want to do a little reading i think.

Fleetlines are South African buses made from Knock Down kits and imported from South America like that.

Brazillian built buses are a different kettle of fish altogether
Sweet Rides
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brasil buses Reply with quote

Nic B-C wrote:
Sweet Rides wrote:
Belluc wrote:

I dont think Ive ever seen a Fleetline which was no the road in brazil and has entered the UK Rolling Eyes

Might want to do a little reading i think.

Fleetlines are South African buses made from Knock Down kits and imported from South America like that.

Brazillian built buses are a different kettle of fish altogether

WTF or you on about? They`re all Brazilian buses, (15 window, mixmatch of diffent years parts etc), the S.Afriacn ones have "Fleetline" written on the tailgate. Wow! What a totally different kettle of fish! Rolling Eyes

There are hundreds of these types of buses on the road in Brazil, many are bought by U.K buyers and enter the U.K every month. The percentage that ever actually make it to British M.O.T standard, and get to drive on the U.K, roads is not good. Confused
Belluc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: sweet ride Reply with quote

Sweet ride you should really do some research. I have never seen a fleetline here in Brasil! There has been alot of debate here on samba about this, so maybe you should do a search.

I agree one of the reasons alot of old cars are on the road here is the lack of a stringent MOT.

There are vehicle checks here by the police but only when it changes to a new owner.

There are good solid splits here and bad ones, you just need to do some research first and make sure you pay a fair price.

Classicvws bus doesn't sound a bad bus.... but the price seems high for one in this condition.
Sweet Rides
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Belluc, I was purely using the term "fleetline" to describe the 15 window type buses that were made in Brazil. I am aware that these went over to Africa in kit form and were badged up as Fleetlines.

I did not mean to get crossed wires here, and was trying to make a simple generalisation( so it was easy for the person with the rotten bus and avoid confusion) calling the all 15 window Brazilian buses "fleetlines" I am awrae that this is not 100% technically correct and has actually had the opposite effect I intended by causing more confusion... Confused

So to avoid further dispute I shall, in future, refere to them all as Brazilian manufactured 15 window buses, as this covers the whole lot regardless of where they were assembled.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: