Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New here, old thing,
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stapler123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: New here, old thing, Reply with quote

Hey there im Winston from az

I have had a 74 thing for about 6 years now. It has been in the family ever since my gramps traded a truck for it in mexico.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has a squareback front suspension, and bus rear... I think. The engine is a 1835 that is brand new, but wasn't put together all that well (not me but a "pro"). Fiberglass finders all around, Bikini Top. Everything else a purist would denounce I think.

As you can see its in a state of... junk. In mexico the PO the crashed it into a phone pole in the late 70's and completely fabricated his own front end since he couldn't afford the parts or another car. The hood I recently bought since his was not that great looking.

Anyway I was wonding if anybody knows the cost of sheetmetal for the WHOLE front end of the car.

The car has allot of.. . Charachter yeah thats it Charachter, But more than anything else Bondo.
Anyway Howdy yall
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
g1142y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you check with Mike at Things Unlimited. His website store is at thingsunlimited.net. He's a good guy for anything you need, plus he's willing to give advice on how to do things. (no pun intended!) Also, keep checking Samba parts and type181registry.com for items for sale. There seem to be lots of Things in AZ so you might find the body parts you need close by.

I have to do some re-repair on the front myself. Good luck

p.s. I just remembered, look on page 2 of thing parts right here on Samba Classifieds. There is a front clip advertised in NM for $200..... too far for me to pick up. Here's the address..... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200401202114477850
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always keep an eye on ebay, too. Someone was selling a front clip a couple of days ago, but it's not on there now. Also, when I fixed all my rust back in '94, The Thing Shop didn't have a rocker panel source like they do now, so I bought them from a Thing junkyard in Colorado- they cut the panels off one of their Things and shipped them to me. Does anybody remember the name of that place, & know if they're still in business?
Stapler123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll keep a look out. That clip looks interesting, but it still is allot of gas, and I need to go further than the gas spout . All the ribs on mine are bondo up to the front doors.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try asking [email protected] as he has alot of Thing parts. Here's a cut and copy from the Thing owners roll call thread that he posted. Good luck with your search.

[email protected]
Samba Contributor

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had some neighbors with 6 or 7 kids in the family living up to block in 73 and they got a orange thing with side lettering "THE THING" on it. I used to go over there to play just to see the car. Then I had a VW shop and could never keep a thing on the lot, demand was much greater than supply in the warmer climates. One fateful day I heard about 50 181's for sale in Hamburg, I made an inquiry and it was more like 66 cars, then I asked for paperwork and it was 80+ cars and some parts, well it was 82 cars and the parts from 40 more . 15 containers later I had the largest private army in the US of Former German Army Vehicles. Of course I had to buy a warehouse to keep everything in and still look for good examples to trade. I took over Martha's thing owners listserve about 9 years ago and it is now hosted on topica.com under [email protected].
844 members currently signed up. Our Motto" A Thing of beauty is a joy forever."
I have the lowest milage thing sold in North America ( 4551) and I just show it every other year; But like a new love, so sweet, so fresh... here is my latest http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200402200544183171
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! The others have given you some great advice on parts sourcing. Good to see more cars with character!
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: