Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic bus trans to type1 engine...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Automatic bus trans to type1 engine... Reply with quote

I have a guy who has a Trike and he was wondering if it was possible to install a late bay auto trans in it. His age and health issues make it difficult to continue using the manual trans.

I told him I was unsure if the type one engine could be mated to the bus trans/etc unless a type 3 flex plate would work?

I told him a type 3 auto trans might be better but I really don't know the difference in them VS the bus trans.

Anyone have any insight/input on this... unfortunantly he alread jumped the gun and paid too much for a bus trans but he might be able to get the salvage yard to take it back.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know crap about the bus trans but the autostick swap would be nearly a bolt in as long as you found a complete unit w/ all controls. where is he located, I'm about to swap my 72 super to manual and ditch the autostick that is in it, the trans has a synchro or shift fork problem w/ 3rd, won't stay in gear but all the controls still function flawlessly
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned the autostick but he is wanting a fully automatic. Thanks tho Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its cool, I knew an older guy once who had diabetes and couldn't use a clutch, thought maybe it was the same sort of situation.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a corvair powerglide, they are still around, and I think there is an adaptor to mate the two together?
Kinda heavy tho.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to post a link but there was a thread about a guy who did a conversion on a split bus because he was handicapped. Details are hazy but I'll keep looking.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save yourself some trouble and forget the the Autostick. way too much monkey motion going on with that set up. it will just nickle and dime the poor guy in the end. the auto stick requires the mounting of an external oil tank for the ATF. as well as the external mounting of a vacuum reservoir to keep the vacuum supply required to operate the vacuum servo consistent. not to mention mounting the vacuum control solenoid to control the vacuum servo mot to mention etc etc etc...... Shocked you get the idea. see if he can trade in that bus automatic back to the junkyard for a type 3 automatic it is much easier to adapt to the type 1 rear clip of his trike. Idea Smile
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
save yourself some trouble and forget the the Autostick. way too much monkey motion going on with that set up. it will just nickle and dime the poor guy in the end. the auto stick requires the mounting of an external oil tank for the ATF. as well as the external mounting of a vacuum reservoir to keep the vacuum supply required to operate the vacuum servo consistent. not to mention mounting the vacuum control solenoid to control the vacuum servo mot to mention etc etc etc...... Shocked you get the idea. see if he can trade in that bus automatic back to the junkyard for a type 3 automatic it is much easier to adapt to the type 1 rear clip of his trike. Idea Smile

My thoughts exactly... He does not want the auto stick and nor do I want to do the conversion on that on a trike... I am just wanting feed back on if the bus trans can be hooked to a type 1 engine without major mods/fab/hassles ( and I don't think so but wanted confirmation)

I suggested type 3 the best option for him but he is not happy since he made the mistake in getting the bus trans for too much in the first place Rolling Eyes
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Greiner uses a Vanagon automatic in his type 1 turbo street/drag car. Best et is 10.24 @ 128. Hobi Eseguera uses one in his drag car also. That is all the info I have.
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: