Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I got a great paint job on my '73. At least I think I did.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsteelio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: I got a great paint job on my '73. At least I think I did. Reply with quote

From a few feet away the paint job looks great.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But at closer look I see these....

There are a few more dried "dripped paint" spots that aren't as noticeable. Are these types of blemishes to be expected for a paint job on a beetle or should I be upset with the quality of workmanship?

I wanted to get other's opinions who have had their vw's painted before contacting my painter. I spent a little over $2000 for the job which included a little rust work on the bottom of one of the doors. It's quality paint that should last 10-15 years.

Jason
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a great paint job on my '73. At least I think I di Reply with quote

This topic may have you're solution.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256470

If not, there are paint stickies and other topics in that forum pertaining to runs in paint. Its not all that bad IMO, looks like it could easily be color sanded and buffed. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, take it back to the painter and see if he can do this.

With all that said, I love it! Very Happy . One of my 74's is Marina Blue.

*Edit.. Here's the sticky from that forum explaining the color sanding and buffing process!!

oemwolf

Last edited by a.wilson on Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
wantsAbugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you didn't pay for the paint job. Any reputable painter would 1) sand any runs 2) not let it out of the shop with a drip or run 3) not have any runs in the paint to begin with. My 4 year old can paint by numbers better than that. I do like the color though....
73 Westy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some runs are not uncommon, the one on the bottom of the trunl lid is a typical novice beetle painter mistake and comes from painting the trunk lid long ways. The trunk lid should be painted in two directions longways for the top and all the way across the nose for the bottom. No biggie though.
Take it back and politely ask them to sand & buff them out, it isn't a big job for someone that knows what they are doing. They may need to wet sand & buff a bigger portion of the car to even out the orange peel though.

The run on the L/F 1/4 panel was so familiar it made me laugh, I did one myself on a '74 Std beetle I painted recently. After the paint cured I worked on it, got rid of the sag & buffed it out fine.
Fibersport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious the painter did not color sand and buff the paint job, I would not be satisfied with it for what you paid. In my opinion, you should not be able to see the difference between an OEM and a repaint. My guess is that it's an enamel with no clear coat which should be an easy fix.
spotco2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painting a Beetle is like painting a basketball and it's not the easiest thing to do without getting some sags (runs).

But, no reputable painter will ever let anything out the door with a noticable sag espically not for that price. If it had been a $400 blow-n-go, then maybe, but not for $2K+.

I would take it back and be very polite and ask if they could watersand and buf them out.

VW's are not just a car, they're an adventure!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oopseyesharted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said above an shop that wants a good rep will fix that. some color sanding and buffing is definitely needed there. I had a car painted at a shop a cople years ago and the did the same thing to me. 2 spots of obvious runs and sags. I paid 1800. They refused to fix it saying that wet sanding and buffing was "extra". I then proceeded to call my back and they worked with me and my money was returned to me in full. All because they would stand behind a paint job with a "2 year complete satisfaction warranty". I only hope the shop you used will treat you right.
67 Shane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a painter for years before becoming a CAD designer. That is completely unacceptable. The guy "screwed ya" basically if you paid 2K for that kind of work. I would go down and ask him why he would leave runs like that and does he want his name on that kind of work. Call the B.B.B. if he gives you grief about fixing it. That is just a crap paint job (dont mean to hurt your feelings) for the price you paid. #Bad Talk

67 Euro Type 1.
67 SO-42 Westfalia
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $139 Maaco paint job on my convertible in 1978 looked better than that, I didn't have any runs. It still looks OK. For $2K there shouldn't be runs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jsteelio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your responses.

I contacted the painter this morning and he told me to bring by my VW any time this week and he will take care of the runs and look at any other concerns I may have.

I will report back here once the work is done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Budes45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runs and orange peel is unacceptable for the price you paid. I have a similar run on the front of my hood but the only difference is I just paid for the paint and supplies and the car was painted by my father and I, who are not professionals.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
My $139 Maaco paint job on my convertible in 1978 looked better than that, I didn't have any runs. It still looks OK. For $2K there shouldn't be runs.

I seriously doubt that.
Post a bunch of photo's of your $139 Maaco job, and the samba will pick it apart.
Any painter that paints a lot of cars shouldn't get a lot of runs, but humans do make errors.
It is good to hear that the painter is going to make good on the runs, hopefully.
I'm wondering what the shop labor rate was, just so we can see how much time went into that $2000 paint job.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: