Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy grey interior paint color?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Westy grey interior paint color? Reply with quote

Tried searching for this but no luck.

What color grey are the interior parts of an '87 Westy?

I want to repaint the my table legs, brackets, etc so I'm hoping
someone can recommend a color of Krylon or similar that is a close
match that I can shoot them with.

thanks!
John
Benito_del_norte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastikote
Dove gray 364
Available at Napa etc ...

Benito
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yessssssssss. thank you benito. i am going to call my local napa to see if they carry it.

edit: well, I just called the local NAPA. they don't carry it here. i'm gonna try some other locations around me. this came up on the vanagon.com mail list and if i remember, there was not a consensus on brand/color of spray paint.

edit2: well, after getting hung up on at 2 other NAPA's, i googled and came up w/ this from a chevelle message board:

Quote:
270ss
Can anyone tell me who has the correct dove gray wheel paint for the back side of the 70 ss wheel, I have been unable to find anything that looks right, someone said to use shock gray but that looks to dark to me... Thanks Don

1badss396
Krylon's Dove Gray (#1605).
Dove gray valspar #165816
Plasti-kote also has dove gray #364,its also a good match.

fwiw
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy grey interior paint color? Reply with quote

I just used a paint color I like on the rear table leg. It's not a close match for the original leg color, but I like it much better. I find the original too dark and sort of an odd hint of green in it.

The paint is: Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover,
in a color called Stone Gray Satin.

Found at Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-T.../307244952

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've been using this 2X Ultra Cover variety of paint almost exclusively for about 10 years now and have been noticing a greatly expanding pallet of colors over the years.

Hope you might like it too.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Westy grey interior paint color? Reply with quote

I found a great match at Home Depot where they'll mix you a sample can of it you can brush on for $3.75. Here's the thread I posted on this subject: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617369&highlight=hatch+panel
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy grey interior paint color? Reply with quote

Years ago I wrote down these notes from a Samba thread on paint match. Two weeks ago I had the stove off and wanted to get the job done so I used the Rustoleum Smoke Grey 7786.

Resources
- Gray paint: Rustoleum7786 Smoke Grey . . . got it at Lowe's
- SEM 15183 matches the factory grey trim color almost perfectly. 
- SEM 13023 is a low luster clear that will make the grey the same sheen as factory
- SEM 38353 is a cleaner that you use to clean/prep the plastic before painting.

It's a reasonable match and looks waaay better than before but my guess is the the SEM, rustoleum mentioned above and HD paint match would all be closer. I did have HD match the cabinet Formica in a qt of exterior paint and it's a great match!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy grey interior paint color? Reply with quote

Jim, that looks GREAT! Well chosen. Hey - the two knives in sheaths. Are they held on by a magnet that's strong enough to do that, or are they mechanically fastened somehow? What's the magnet?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy grey interior paint color? Reply with quote

Thanks, Doug.

The magnetic knife holder is from Amazon (I shortened it by a few inches to fit the van's kitchen. The knife holder looks decent, is easy to clean and has worked well in the van since 2016 and my house even longer)...

The knives stay secure even held through the plastic sheaths. The big one will occasionally be in the right place to vibrate and make an annoying noise that I'm rewiring my brain to believe is a soothing noise. The screws are concealed behind the stainless cap. Cutting a magnet glued to stainless is a bit of a mess. I believe I used a grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Standard gear: two kitchen knives, a leather man multi tool, a cheap Gerber folding knife and a Japanese utility/box knife that I find to be well made, reasonably priced and versatile so I keep them in many places so I can give them away Very Happy ):

Endurance Deluxe Magnetic Knife Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SPKRTE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EZFYDb4XFATHA

NT Cutter PRO Auto-Lock Stainless Steel Utility Knife (A-1P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J0XDSW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_tkQqVd6zbVK5V

I've used these AAA GE LED lights above the kitchen and in a rear cabinet. No motion detector, flashing or colored lights! Just a simple pushbutton switch that toggles between off, high and low in an extruded aluminum case.

GE Portable LED Light Wand, On / Off, 3 AAA Battery Operated, 35 Lumens, Detachable, Hand-Held, Ideal for Under Cabinet, Closet, Hallway, Work Bench, Washroom, Pantry & Laundry Room, 12747 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2H1XJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AoGYDb9HEE062

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: