Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

International Shipments
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: International Shipments Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying some parts from someone in Canada, but they are saying that they need my Social Security number to be able to ship it into the States because of the new 9-11 rules. Does anyone know if this is the case? Sounds kinda strange to me...
HomespunKustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ship to Canada daily and even receive lots of parts is daily from all over the world and SS# are never needed. What method are they shipping by? Seems a little weird.

'68 type 1 Kit

I am Spiderman. (part deux)
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anything, it's wanted by US customs. i'd ask to see a copy of the form that requires it.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very suspect to me. Is it so they can send you a cheque for $100,000, you send them half & you get to keep the rest? What on earth would they legitimately want that for?

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rooodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a US Customs requirement. A statistics thing. I work for a company that processes items through US Customs everyday. Here is a link to the Code of Federal Regulations that has more info. (For you light reading pleasure) http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010...fr24.5.htm
It is covered under B

Yes, talking about my job makes me the life of all parties Very Happy
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooodie, is that for all stuff coming into the US? I live in the UK & have regularly posted stuff to the States & never had to give them more than "Is it a gift & what's its value".

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never give out my Social Security number to someone wether I needed the part or not. Screw that noise.
nik
Split Decision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nik wrote:
I would never give out my Social Security number to someone wether I needed the part or not. Screw that noise.
nik

I wouldn't either. I bought a speedo last year from one of our Canadian Samba members and it was no different than had I had something shipped inside the states. That's baloney.

Mike

On year seven of the "I'll get it done next week" engine rebuild.

74superTN wrote:
Just seems these days that unless you are dragging your engine on the ground and have crazy negative camber, people seem like you're doing it all wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rooodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rooodie, is that for all stuff coming into the US? I live in the UK & have regularly posted stuff to the States & never had to give them more than "Is it a gift & what's its value".

It all depends on how you ship it. If it is shipped by mail or small courier company there is a good chance it won't get held up because of lack of IRS or SSN number. I only deal with large companies that import commercially into the US and we need the IRS or SSN number of the buyer or ship to party to get them through the border.
I'm with you guys as far as not wanting to hand out my SSN number but then again I don't by stuff I gotta import.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: International Shipments Reply with quote

SDBug wrote:
I'm thinking of buying some parts from someone in Canada, but they are saying that they need my Social Security number to be able to ship it into the States because of the new 9-11 rules. Does anyone know if this is the case? Sounds kinda strange to me...

NO WAY. Don't do it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SDBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the seller said about the SS number...

We use UPS ground from our Toronto, Ontario, Canada location.

To avoid the customs and security delays, our products are then distributed from the Buffalo, New York, A.N. Deringer Co. The UPS hub in Buffalo then sends our packages across the US.

I just called UPS and they said that they need either a Tax ID number for a business or a SS number for an individual...I still don't like it though.
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't know what you're ordering & if you could get it elsewhere, but my gut feel is to tell them to poke it.

www.justbuggin.co.uk

1958 Rag Cal Import
T25 Panel Van
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: