Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1938 VW Cornerstone
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: 1938 VW Cornerstone Reply with quote

Well, this past week i got to see something that people rarely get to see. I got to see the actual 1938 VW cornerstone. I got a chance to interview the historian for VW. He invited me to see a special area of the factory that was set up as a memorial for the forced labor that the factory used in the early years. I was told that after the war, the British removed the stone and buried it many miles away. Then many years later at a construction site the dozer hit hit and dug it up. And it now rests back at the factory. I will try to get some pictures of it, for i was not allowed to bring my camera.

Spanish Flea
"Mr. Ford, i don't think what we are being offered here is worth a damn!" - Ernest Breech (On buying VW, March 1948)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hebman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask to see the brass box that was sealed and place in the top of the cornerstone. Its in the next room
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a tape that was placed in the cornerstone, but when it was recovered they were not able to play it do do it being very damaged.

Spanish Flea
"Mr. Ford, i don't think what we are being offered here is worth a damn!" - Ernest Breech (On buying VW, March 1948)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I remember reading the cornerstone was buried in concrete in the base of the bridge over the canal. I do have a photo of der fuhrer striking the stone.

It would be interesting to see a photo of it now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Hmmm. I remember reading the cornerstone was buried in concrete in the base of the bridge over the canal. I do have a photo of der fuhrer striking the stone.

It would be interesting to see a photo of it now.

I was unable to bring a camera into the bunker, but I will see if i can get a picture sent to me.

Spanish Flea
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: