Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SVX Saga: Installing a Subaru EG33 in an '87 Wolfsburg
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BC Westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I plan to transplant my SVX motor if I ever get smacked up or the Tranny Cacks. The SVX was one hell of a fast car and will do 140MPH. The only problem was the weak tranny's. I have been through one already, prior to the Westy. But my Westy has one eye on the SVX as it sleeps.
1981 Westfalia 300,000kms
1982 Westfalia Cali Import 193,000Miles
1982 Westfalia (Auto) 205,000Kms
1984 Vanagon 306,000kms
1987 Vanagon GL 300,000Kms
tangojeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Another way around smog Reply with quote

In a county like Plumas in northern Calif, the population is small enough that no bi-annual smog inspections are required by "residents". If a friend, that resided in that county, were to help you and your Vanagon "live there", You could never be required to do another smog check.
westy81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: SVX SAGA POST #2 Reply with quote

SVX SAGA POST #2 - GETTING RID OF SVX PARTS

OK. So, I got the SVX. I borrowed a friend's tiny garage for 2 months, and started ripping apart the car.

In this post, I'll discuss the world of SVX parts for people that end up buying an entire car and want to part it out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I initially tried to sell the SVX as an entire car, minus the harness and motor without any luck.

My suggestion is to join the Yahoo! Group "Subaru SVX" - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SubaruSVX/ - and post a message there. It's similar in spirit to the SubaruVanagon Yahoo! mailing list with an enthusiast-only membership.

I'd also suggest posting your parts to the SVX World Network site, an online bulletin board at http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/

Here are pics of my SVX parts:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/youraccount/sets/72157602033487027/

(will add more info and pics to this post within the next couple of days)
nathan@el
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Garnet, how's the engine conversion going anyway? I imagine you must be pretty busy because it seems like I haven't run into you for weeks now. I can't wait to see the end product....or, on the other hand, I can probably wait because I will most likely be blown away by the power, making my puny 67 horses seem pathetic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
westy81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan@el wrote:
Hey Garnet, how's the engine conversion going anyway? I imagine you must be pretty busy because it seems like I haven't run into you for weeks now.

Here's the answer: (click the link and scroll down)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/youraccount/sets/72157601996325738/

(if you'd see how small the garage is I'm working in, you'd laugh your ass off - I've got about 18 inches between the side of the car and the garage wall - it's a tiny carport)
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey be happy
I've got lots of space, and its all outdoors
I'm happy to have my costco carport to keep the rain off...
....althought I had to buy some 2x6x22's to bolt it to and park the bus on some cross boards....so it wouldn't all blow away Shocked
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys related?

Just kidding. I was thinking about going the WRX motored route for the van, but you are making me rethink that. Im wondering how the exhaust will work though, ive looked at the smallcar site, but to no avail. Most importantly, how does the header/cat/muffler attach all together? Theres gotta be some elbows and stuff there someplace. Maybe im just a total JONG and not seeing the obvious.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rmwesty.com/index.php
How come no one ever metions these guys?
vwsyncroguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: "J" Pipe Reply with quote

ProvoCyclist wrote:
Most importantly, how does the header/cat/muffler attach all together? Theres gotta be some elbows and stuff there someplace.

Between the header and the cat and muffler, there's a typical Vanagon style "J" pipe.....either one from Smallcar or the one from your Vanagon.

Warren C.
BIRD84WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: SVX parts Reply with quote

Hi, I own an '84 Westy ~150K miles, a '92 SVX ~75K miles. and a '01 Outback H6 ~80Kmiles. Both suby sixes run great as does the Westy 1.9, but it leaves lots to be desired. Someday I hope to put the 3.3 engine from another donor in my Westy, but may just go the easy route with the 2.2. I have been reading your SVX Saga and noticed your desire to sell the SVX parts. I am interested in the driver's side master window switch and passenger window switch, if you are parting the SVX. I also recommend visiting the SVX World Network, subaru-svx.net to part your car. PM me if you're interested in parting the SVX. Thanks, Erik
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: "J" Pipe Reply with quote

warren C wrote:
ProvoCyclist wrote:
Most importantly, how does the header/cat/muffler attach all together? Theres gotta be some elbows and stuff there someplace.

Between the header and the cat and muffler, there's a typical Vanagon style "J" pipe.....either one from Smallcar or the one from your Vanagon.

Warren C.

Okay, so its header-> cat-> j-pipe-> muffler?
My other question is about the engine mount. On the Vanaru site, it looks like the crossbar sits lower, like its using a Syncro Xb:

Will i need to source one, or can i use my existing Xb?

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
vwsyncroguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "J" Pipe Reply with quote

warren C wrote:

Warren C.

My Bad !! .....I'm thinking of the setup for a 4 cyl not a 6 cyl.....so disregard what I said....so I don't know the answer for sure...but it looks like header to cat to muffler.

And yes you can use your original crossbar.

Warren
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ProvoCyclist"]Are you guys related?

I don't understand?? Confused
westy81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX parts Reply with quote

BIRD84WESTY wrote:
I have been reading your SVX Saga and noticed your desire to sell the SVX parts. I am interested in the driver's side master window switch and passenger window switch, if you are parting the SVX. I also recommend visiting the SVX World Network, subaru-svx.net to part your car. PM me if you're interested in parting the SVX. Thanks, Erik

Erik - the last place I'd imagine selling SVX parts is through Samba... but I've got a mountain of stuff, including passenger window controls. I've also been babysitting a thread over at subaru-svx.net... it's a very good place to get rid of parts. I've PM'd you details.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvoCyclist wrote:
Im wondering how the exhaust will work though, ive looked at the smallcar site, but to no avail. Most importantly, how does the header/cat/muffler attach all together?

Take a look at the second page here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...mp;start=0

There are LOADS of pictures of my install in a Syncro including the exhaust including comments on SmallCar's header/cat/muffler set-up
(basically it sucks!).

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
westy81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: SVX SAGA POST #3 - ENGINE OUT, GIRLFRIEND NOT VERY IMPRESSED Reply with quote

SVX SAGA POST #3 - ENGINE OUT, GIRLFRIEND NOT VERY IMPRESSED

After farting around parting out parts for longer than I should've (I'm a grad student with no real budget so wanted to suck 'er dry of parts), I yanked the motor:

Countdown:

Ignition:

Liftoff:

Entering orbit:

Touching down:

Launchpad remnants:

Girlfriend not very impressed:

Yes, it's resting on a de-luxe cardboard box. I'm doing my last parts strip-down from the SVX this afternoon, mounting the motor on the engine stand and will be getting the car shell towed away on Monday, hopefully.

And did I mention that parting out a car via US Post is a pain in the ass?
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
http://www.rmwesty.com/index.php
How come no one ever metions these guys?

There was a thread on these guys a while ago (like 2 months, maybe) and it seemed to me that generally the pix look good, but no one came forward who had substantial, if any, experience with the company or the product.

So until people who have tried it start speaking up, it's an unknown quantity, and people are notoriously reluctant to throw money at something that has no reputation.

Best,

Lanval
droogvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about RMW but their website doesn't offer much info and there are no customer vehicles shown. Maybe if they posted here once in a while and showed that they're part of the vanagon community I would feel a lot more confident about letting them drain my checking account. Their product appears to be pretty slick. I kinda like the bumper/ engine cradle/ tire carrier but there really isn't any info on their site about that either.
I guess if anyone knows these guys speak up and tell them to introduce themselves!
Krautwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

droogvan wrote:
I'm curious about RMW but their website doesn't offer much info and there are no customer vehicles shown. Maybe if they posted here once in a while and showed that they're part of the vanagon community I would feel a lot more confident about letting them drain my checking account. Their product appears to be pretty slick. I kinda like the bumper/ engine cradle/ tire carrier but there really isn't any info on their site about that either.
I guess if anyone knows these guys speak up and tell them to introduce themselves!

My neighbor has a 1986 7 Passenger Syncro with the RM Westy conversion, it is absolutely SICK! The website accurately shows their products... I was taken back when he brought it home from Ft. Collins, it sounds incredible, and pulls like crazy. The engine carrier is indestructable, and all the hoses are that blue silicon high quality stuff. The coolant expansion tank is from a BMW, and looks great in the engine bay. If I had the money, I would take my Vanagon to RM Westy today!

My neighbor's name is Tim, and I keep meaning to get pictures of his Syncro, so I will try to do that this weekend and post them in a new thread.

Cheers!

Andy
1974 Type 1 Bug
1999 Eurovan MV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTT, how this coming man?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: