Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To Tiico or Not to Tiico
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the VW/Audi inline four has better durability than a wasserboxer, I can see how someone could consider it a step back from a strong running wbx. Tiico basically chose the harshest version of the VW/Audi inline four and mounted it using the most unrefined motor mounts, and then did a poor job of designing the exhaust system, fuel rail, and accessory mounts. They've basically given an engine conversion with some potential a pretty poor reputation.

If you're really set on an inline VW conversion, I'd certainly give the Autobahn Society conversion a good look before putting any money into Tiico.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're really set on an inline VW conversion, I'd certainly give the Autobahn Society conversion a good look before putting any money into Tiico.

I haven't talked to Steve lately at the AutoBahnSociety , BUT last time I talked to him he was shipping some of his kits to the West Coast. I plan on getting his AAZ Diesel setup for my 91 Jetta in the future,he does good work!

anyway..to me..it's the gas engine is the engine,VW should have put in there, they already had the diesel set-up...the gas in-line was a no-brainer

once you drive his 135hp engine...it makes you mad knowing what a chance VW had at the small van market

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
yield27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:
yield27 wrote:
Do the Zetec conversion, it's the cat's meow. So what if it's a Ford, it was designed in Germany. 100,000 mile warranty through Bostig and the best customer support. I have no worries driving mine around and it is quiet with no vibration. I cruise through the mountains and keep up with all the other guys and girls on the interstate no problem.

then why are you selling it?
[img] http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=408997 [/img]

Because I want to go to a bio-diesel rig. I am perfectly happy with the conversion overall and it has been my daily driver for a couple years. I have only had my van in the shop once for a shift linkage problem since putting the Zetec in. I have put 15000 miles on it in that time with only a couple small issues that were easily fixed. The fact that I listed my van does not change the fact that the Zetec is awesome.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yield27 wrote:
Bill W wrote:
yield27 wrote:
Do the Zetec conversion, it's the cat's meow. So what if it's a Ford, it was designed in Germany. 100,000 mile warranty through Bostig and the best customer support. I have no worries driving mine around and it is quiet with no vibration. I cruise through the mountains and keep up with all the other guys and girls on the interstate no problem.

then why are you selling it?
[img] http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=408997 [/img]

Because I want to go to a bio-diesel rig. I am perfectly happy with the conversion overall and it has been my daily driver for a couple years. I have only had my van in the shop once for a shift linkage problem since putting the Zetec in. I have put 15000 miles on it in that time with only a couple small issues that were easily fixed. The fact that I listed my van does not change the fact that the Zetec is awesome.

btw, that's a really nice looking interior there....
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
pdunn13445
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: I would have liked to, but who needs the problems... Reply with quote

The guy is a one man band, and more often than not doesn't answer email inquiries. His warranty is ignored from the word of two people I have talked to. Try calling Mark at Concours Cars (719) 473-6288 in Colorado Springs as he has fixed many malfunctioning Tiicos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, getting back to what D Clymer just said. I agree for the most part. The motor mounts are solid rubber. Not good. The autobahn mercedes hydraulic jobbers are probably nicer. but if you took the "off the rack" tiico kit, put an a2 fuel rail on it (pretty common mod), and the A3 serpentine brackets and engine accessories, you're dealing with a much more "happy" set up. My primary problem is that I live in california. Smog time is about a month away. I dread this routine. Shrugging my shoulders, playing dumb, showing the semi-fraudulent air resources board, bureau of automotive repair executive order stating it's compliance with regulations. The parts list on that EO do not reflect what is supplied with the kit. not only that but there's an addendum, EO 573-1 that says you gotta wire up a check engine light TOO. I love the plucky little motor I've got in there. Looks like it belongs there. But sometimes I wish I had that "known evil" waterboxer in there, in spite of its many many many flaws. Especially around SMOG cert time. Still, it's what I got, I like it well enough. Runs great. (fingers crossed). Everything in life is a mixed bag. I love my dog, but she eats my westfalia interior if I'm not careful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading four cylinders for four cylinders is the same trade.

At least look into the Audi 5 cylinder or move on over to the six's.

IMO, a vehicle of that weight needs at least 150 ft.lbs. 170 would be better.

I have researched for a while and this is how (I) feel about the game.
bread geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: tiico Reply with quote

try getting a vw dealer to look at a subie conv.good luck.if properly installed you should not have any vibration issues from your tiico. i have had my tiico for 3 years and love every minute i drive it.jon at foreign auto is an ace on these motors. he keeps mine dialed in right and tight.tiico all the way.my honest opinion.5 speed trannys,super chargers they do it all.
jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, love my Tiico as well. No bad vibes in my engine compartment!
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bread Geek wrote: "try getting a vw dealer to look at a subie conv.good luck."

Are VW dealers able to work on Tiico motors now? When I had one Tiico had a South African fuel injection system no one had ever seen at my dealer. Nor could they order parts for it because all the part numbers Tiico provided were gibberish in their parts computer.

Has this changed?
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
ebennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to do a conversion myself.

I've got the all the diesel parts I need, less the input shaft and the starter. I am going to install an ABA block with all A3 accessories and serpentine belt.

Not sure how I am going to make the AC work

I am going to install a SOHC big valve head from an A2 jetta/golf. Not sure if I will go CSI, CSI-E or digi injection

Exhaust will be custom made
bread geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: tiico Reply with quote

i belive they are more inclined to work on a jetta motor than a subie.granted some of the conv. parts are hard to find but over all it is still vw.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebennett will do fine on this convert. Homework done, understands the nuts and bolts. Get ready for a true German flip.
The I4's are the bastard child of VW in the Vanagon. Definatly the father but won't admit it.
South African parentship excluded Very Happy
I'll clone my exhaust pipe if you need it, local guy can bend you a new one. Just find a clamp exhaust manifold__flange between 3 and 4. You have seen it__make the call.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: