Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many parts from others are you running with?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: How many parts from others are you running with? Reply with quote

A new topic that might be fun. How many parts from Samba forum members is your Vanagon running with? I'll start:

My 84 Westy is currently on the road and running thanks to R39's headlight grill and headlight buckets, TERRY KAY's parts (several), TENCENTLIFE's cylinder head work, MSINABOTTLE's AC parts, LANVAL's AC parts, DOGPILOT's rear brake backing plates, shoes, and wheel cylinders, MIGHTYART's electronics, and a host of Samba classifieds from folks that post their but not on the forum.

So, my van is on the road today running great, thanks to a lot of parts from sevral of you, and from the great expert advice I've recieved. I suppose you folks are along for the ride each time I take it for a ride!

Any others?

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten some coolant pipes and hoses (yes, I bought used hoses) off The Samba as well as a good, used exhaust system from that dude in Oklahoma whose name I can never remember. I also got a charcoal canister and vacuum valve. All good experiences. I've bought a few things from Terry and although he's grouchy, he sent the stuff right away.

However...

I also got a used throttle body off The Samba which I was assured was in "excellent shape." Judge for yourself:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's shiny because I hosed it down with PB to take it apart. I have it mostly put back together and I've done Tencent's JB-Weld fix! Very cool.

I don't think the seller was trying to screw me - I think he just didn't notice what a rusty POS the TB turned out to be. I think we're pretty lucky, though, that we have such a good resource here and if someone sells crap he'll get outed quick.

I'm with Bucko definitely when he says he takes everyone out on the road because of the advice and support we get here. Some of the time I post things even though my knowledge is limited just so I can put something back into the pool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the thousands of dollars in Van-Cafe parts?.... A TPS from Terry Kay, tires from Izzydog, a car cover and water pump from 2 other samba folk, not to mention tons of little parts that I get from the guy a couple of shops over from mine who usually has a few vanagons lying around....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mines the white 87 on the left. If you are buying any parts off the classifieds from Chico California, chances are you are getting them from him. Very honest guy who specializes in Vanagon and is now making his own suby oil pans and working on several other vanagon mods, including a disc brake kit. He's working on a website, not up yet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my beloved Lola here on Samba years ago. Besides that:

flip window
distributor
double relay
engine shroud
various door handles
center console

Just sealed a deal on some suspension parts Cool

Dubs
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubs,

Time to change the avatar picture, pull off the cover and let Lola breathe! Smile
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: How many parts from others are you running with? Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
A new topic that might be fun. How many parts from Samba forum members is your Vanagon running with?

Any others?

Yes indeed. I got the whole complete caboose, well almost complete, here on Samba (89Van/2.2Sub).
As long as we are on the subject for some reason some of the advertisers for parts never return the emails. I guess the price of cyber stamps is just too much for those.javascript:emoticon('Boo hoo!')
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
Dubs,

Time to change the avatar picture, pull off the cover and let Lola breathe! Smile

Cant remember how to shrink photos Evil or Very Mad I tried just the other day for n hour and gave up. Any hints?
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo resizing, here ya go..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
Photo resizing, here ya go..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

Thanks Kev Wink
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. let's see. Alternator, headlight relays, Bentley, turn signal lens, PS Pump (spare), Screens, front heater.

And a TON of great advice and shared knowledge.

Thanks all.
RIP 1986 Saab turbo
and my daily commuter: a Bicycle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Winstonstein Reply with quote

It's... It's... ALIVE! I've raided the Automotive graveyards... and I've created a MONSTER!!

WINSTONSTEIN!

Shocked

Lessee...

Dogpilot's old alloy 15" Audi TT Turbo Rims--he also sent me some switches and VERY generously, new heater lever handles... Got the central caps from an Audi salvage yard who treated me well...

Buckles from WeinerWagen, never used 'em though, anybody need some extra seatbelt buckles (found another set before he kindly sent 'em.)?

Terry's Headlight Relay Kit, which I can vouch that even an idiot can install.

My late father's set of Hella H4's that he bought in the '80's.

bry8s2003's window crank extenders, and the new instrument cluster
Byan (a very good seller) sold to me off of E-Bay... He also sold me a 2nd sliding door handle before I found out that the previous owner had kept the original one and left in a bag of parts.

A set of Westy latches and a new rear table which turned out to be a new front table from other E-Bayers...

A rear central cabinet door from HowardVW, an online salvage yard and a good source for stuff you just can't find locally... He also sold me the 'Moon' chrome caps I cleaned up and used with Winston's old 14" steel rims...

Stuff from a foundered '84 none-westy, since crushed, at a Salvage Yard in Aurora... Doorhandles and windshield wiper arms that I had powder-coated, did a lot to bring back Winston's self-respect when I bolted 'em on...

Side marker lights from a van on the lot of Blazer Automotive, Larry's always been really great to me... Not to mention the new rebuilt transmission and clutch.

SCADS of bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com...

Handle, interior accessories, and some trim from GoWesty

AFM and scads of oil filters from Van-Cafe... Other good parts. Huge front rubber floor mat.

Front blower and heater core from Frank Condelli. I have to keep those well away from the parts Terry sold me...

Scads of new parts from Arizona PartsHaus, fewer from NAPA...

Side view mirrors and a few knobs, etc., from OEVeeDub. I plan on getting new sheet metal from him, too.

The Late Ugly Bumper off a Toyota Pickup via the Yota Yard. The New Scarey Bumper from Aircooled.net.

And I'm undoubtedly forgetting a lot.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Front blower and heater core from Frank Condelli. I have to keep those well away from the parts Terry sold me...

That is PFF!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: