Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hydraulic Clutch Slave Assembly
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dharma_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Hydraulic Clutch Slave Assembly Reply with quote

Hydraulic Clutch Slave Assembly Question

Long-time bus owner. First Vanagon. Never had to mess with this before…. Not much in the Bentley on this.

I noticed a large puddle of fluid under the engine an hour or so after a drive. Turns out it is hydraulic fluid from the clutch slave assembly. Reservoir was empty of fluid. No pressure on the clutch pedal. No other leaks in the hydraulic clutch system. Fluid drips from the farthest end of the clutch slave assembly. I see there is a circlip on this end of the assembly. Can these be rebuilt or is the fix to replace the entire assembly?

If it is a modular replacement, can anyone provide the part number and a good source? Vehicle is an ’84 Westy.

Thanks
yield27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was leaking so I rebuilt it with a $20 dollar kit from FLAPS but then it started leaking again a year later so I bought a brand new one and replaced the old one a few months ago.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.busdepot.com/catalog.jsp?model=58&category=10
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased both the slave and master clutch. You're lucky: The master went out on mine. Now, must repaint driver's side floorboards and replace carpet.

Most suggest replacing BOTH at the same time as they wear approximately at the same rate. Although I purchased both items, I only replaced the master that was blown, figuring I can replace the slave (given I have a new one) when it malfunctions (even on along the roadside!).

In your case, I'd get the master, too, to forgo any master leakage that will necessitate further repairs (floorboard) and replacement (carpet that is NOT inexpensive).
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slave is about three times harder to replace than the master due to it's position behind the stock coolant hoses at the rear left side of the engine bay. I ended up disconnecting my hoses to gain better access. It's a simple single piece that if I remember correctly cost about $ 50.00. Before you assume it's the slave, it COULD be the flexible line forward of the slave cylinder. That's a dealer only item and costs around $ 80.00.

Good luck.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
Before you assume it's the slave, it COULD be the flexible line forward of the slave cylinder. That's a dealer only item and costs around $ 80.00.

Get a fabricator to make that up for $ 20. A hose shop will tell you who can do it.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh wrote:
Most suggest replacing BOTH at the same time as they wear approximately at the same rate. Although I purchased both items, I only replaced the master that was blown, figuring I can replace the slave (given I have a new one) when it malfunctions (even on along the roadside!).

Word to the wise, I did the same thing with exactly the same intention. My slave cyl went. I bought both and only replaced the slave cyl. A year later the master went and I did that. Whadaya know...I broke the (1 year old) slave cyl bleeder screw while bleeding the system. d'oh!

My $.02, buy AND replace both now and get it out of the way.
I love road side mechanics as much as the next guy...just hope it not raining when that slave finally goes.

Just my $.02 though

Dubs
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right.

It's just I recently purchased the '82 Westy we have and have been doing some repairs to get it road worthy enough to drive to the shop to get front end work done (ball joints/tie rods). When it comes back to me, I will most likely replace the slave as well to avoid EXACTLY what you say. Sure would suck to have a road trip underway, two kids, two dogs and wife saying, "Are you done yet?" in the rain....
Dharma_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Next Question.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. You all beat me to my next question which was going to be “The busdepot website says, ‘we recommend that you also replace your clutch master cylinder at the same time to avoid future hassles.’ It sounds like the group conscience is that this is the way to go.

This does not look line a fun job. Those fittings are never easy to get off and these parts are located in some cramped areas. I got at the rear slave assemble pretty easily. I dropped this and am hitting the fitting with PB Blaster. The Vanagon has a 2.2l Subaru and it was easier to access without the WBX engine. The front looks like much more of a hassle as there is so little room to work in.

I was looking over the hydraulic system this afternoon and am having a little trouble figuring this out…. Here are my assumptions. I am looking for some feedback from the list….

Looks like the brake master cylinder and the clutch master cylinder share the same fluid reservoir. Brake master cylinder appears to be located just below (and attached to) the reservoir. Both of these parts are located in the dash area. The fluid reservoir appears to have a large diameter rubber hose that feeds the right side that goes down to the clutch master cylinder. Clutch master cylinder is located behind the peddles. Does this sound correct.

Thanks again.
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct.

HERE is an excellent, step by step instruction to replacing the clutch master and slave cylinder (with pictures; regarding the slave, I cannot reach mine through the engine compartment and must crawl under the vehicle).

If I also could make a suggestion, other than here at Samba, Westfalia.org is a wonderful site with great information (albeit a different kind of messageboard). I highly encourage you to check it out.

I replaced my clutch master cylinder in less than an hour (including bleeding). While tight in space, it is a very simple job. Just make certain you take that carpet out and protect your floorboards from the paint-eating brake fluid!

Good luck!
Dharma_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Great link... Reply with quote

Sheesh - great link! Thanks. That sure takes the mystery out of it!
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

data pts from my end, Dharma: clutch masters have outlived slaves by magnitudes. In fact, the only clutch master i ever replaced was not 100% necessary, whilst slaves have only seemed to last a few years apiece.

They *can* be rebuilt, and i even got a dedicated small-bore hone for such rebuilding, but the rebuilt ones lived even shorter lives than new slave units.

i've gotten to the point now that i just buy new slave cyls, and rebuild the old ones and keep them under the back seat as spares.

This 'masters wear at the same rate as slaves' has not at all been the case on my 14 years with 2 vans (81 and 85). In this/my experience the masters are outlasting the slaves by huge years

don't forget the necessity for proper bleeding, before you spend any money
Wayland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yield27 wrote:
Mine was leaking so I rebuilt it with a $20 dollar kit from FLAPS but then it started leaking again a year later so I bought a brand new one and replaced the old one a few months ago.

X2
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need the hose buy it from VolksCafe for $27 http://www.volkscafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=598306128&pct=1231009736&ct=1067491453 If you buy the hose and slave you will get something free because of this month's promotion. I bought a hose and slave for my leak this week. I replaced the master 2 years ago and the slave finally gave out.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
If you need the hose buy it from VolksCafe for $27 http://www.volkscafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=598306128&pct=1231009736&ct=1067491453 If you buy the hose and slave you will get something free because of this month's promotion. I bought a hose and slave for my leak this week. I replaced the master 2 years ago and the slave finally gave out.

Wow, I was under the impression that that hose was a dealer-only item and cost around $ 80.00. It's a steal at that price.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Dharma_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: This job is getting more complex… Reply with quote

This job is getting more complex….

I butchered the fitting that goes into the clutch slave master cylinder while removing it from the failed unit. I will have to replace a portion of the metal line that goes from the hydraulic clutch hose to the slave master cylinder. This metal line is not the same size as the brake lines, it is larger, and so are the fittings. They are not available at my FLAPS.

What size is this hydraulic clutch line and fittings?

Thanks.
singlewc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: This job is getting more complex… Reply with quote

I don't know where you are in the process, re: the master, but don't replace it, if its not leaking.

I am on my second one, put in around 120K, now at 175K and am on my third slave cylinder.

I don't care what people say, there is no relationship between one and the other, other than if you get to say, 150K with the originals, they are both likely to fail no matter what you do with one or the other.

Its called wear and tear, and old age.

John
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree. I've never replaced both at the same time, and have never had any problem with the other that related to it not being changed. I also haven't broken a bleed screw in almost a decade (I like to use a little anti-seize on the threads). There is no behavior of the new part that will CAUSE the older other part to fail (there is one extremely unlikely exception that would only happen due to a failing master). Save your money and time...

Andrew
Dharma_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: <<What size is this hydraulic clutch line and fittings Reply with quote

I have not touched the master cylinder yet and will not. I have the new master cylinder but will keep it in the bus as a spare.

Still messing with the rear slave cylinder... any help on my question above -

<<What size is this hydraulic clutch line and fittings?>>

Thanks.
Dharma_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: metal hydraulic line Reply with quote

Thought I would post a follow-up for anyone doing a search on this job….

The short metal hydraulic line that runs from the clutch hose to the clutch slave cylinder is still available new – but it is not cheap - $65 not including shipping. I got one on order from BW Auto Wreckers in Sacramento (916.969.1600). They also had used ones on the shelf - $45.

Use caution when removing the fitting from your old slave cylinder and prep it good with penetrating oil and maybe some heat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: