Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how does this sound compared to single quiet pack mufflers
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: how does this sound compared to single quiet pack mufflers Reply with quote

i am currently running a header with single quiet pack on my 67. the muffler has scraped the ground one to many times and has cracked on the bottom...and my bug is stock height in the rear. so i have been thinking about replacement alternatives. and was wondering how the hide-away or tuck away muffler (seen it called by both names, see pic)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sounds compared to the quiet pack...lounder, deeper, quieter, worth it, not worth it, smart, stupid or what?

not interested in high dollar alternatives, the engine is only a stock single porter. saving the money for the good engine that will eventually be built. Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I heard was louder. But that was 4 years ago and all mufflers are not the same.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just posted this in another thread. Its good, quiet and makes good power. I just took my 69 "pan" for a ride this morning with the bugpack 1 3/8 header and the hideaway - very quiet. and has a better sound than the stock system
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I love mine. It is actually quieter than stock and really smooths out the engine. Plenty of clearance, You'll like it.
Hella-Buggin'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 1/5/8" Bugpack ceramic tucked away and love it. It's quiet and has a deep low tone to it. Much quieter than the QP's.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one yrs ago on my 1776, and loved it. I kept ripping the clamps on my header apart draggin' though driveways. After I got smart and welded flanges on the header, I bought a Hideaway........I loved it! This time around, I bought another one, but I can't use it!!! Embarassed I run CB's wide 5 disc kit front and rear, and it interferes with the caliper. Bastages!! Laughing Time to break out the welder and MAKE it fit....that's how much I like them.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, hotrod, i'm following you....

I ran a bugpack hideaway before i went turbo....a low deep sound, yet not loud.... I liked it and recommend them for the ground clearance... don't be scared off that it blocks the valve cover, removing it is a snap at valve adjustment time..

GEX has. Just sayin
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quieter the the singlge or dual quietpacks due to the long exhaust pipe. Another benefit is that it does not stick outback.

Downside have to remove when checking valves.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, that should work about like the one I run on the baja. I've used it with the stocker and my 1776. It's quiet and seems to flow well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. i think im going to get one. im going to check my local vw flaps on monday to see if they can get me one.
thetravman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One lone vote for the single quiet pak. Theres no way I want to remove a muffler every time I adjust the valves. Don't forget to strip it clean it and then paint it w/1200+ degree paint.
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a ceramic empi one, i wish i didnt buy it, it is louder than my bugpack single qp, and frankly it sound like a riced out honda IMO, im going to see it i can shut it up by reconfiguring the baffles in the muffler. if not then i will design my own hidden set up.

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to go throught that kind of trouble, you may as well use a different muffler....maybe a Dynomax, or 4 chamber Flowmaster.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetravman wrote:
One lone vote for the single quiet pak. Theres no way I want to remove a muffler every time I adjust the valves. Don't forget to strip it clean it and then paint it w/1200+ degree paint.

i like quiet packs alot, either single or dual. but my current quiet pack has cracked on bottom due to bottoming out, and i just moved into a new place with an aggressivly steep driveway. my muffler has cracked and i want to replace it. now i could just slap on another quiet pack and in a matter of months i will be facing the same issue i am now. so i was seeking out alternatives.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, taking the hideaway off does double the time for valve adjustments....it's four minutes with a hideaway instead of two minutes without. Wink

GEX has. Just sayin
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i bought and installed the hide-away today. finally i have no more exhaust leaks. i recently welded flanges to my header/heaterbox connections thinking that was where my leaks were coming from, but right after i discoverd the cracked quiet pack. overall im satisfied with the new hideaway. install was easy at the flange, but a little hard to understand, having never seen one installed before, on how to attatch the muffler supports. i brought it to a muffler shop ran by a friend of a friend. dude looked at it and said whats whith all the flimsy supports? i told him about the chinease standards when it comes to aftermarket and replacement parts for our beloved cars. he hooked my up with a kick ass support welded to the header held on by a u bolt around the pipe leading to the muffler. very solid. Cool

i have to mention the quality and general feel of the new muffler. it felt much more solid and better put together then standard cheapo quiet packs, which most of them feel cheap and somewhat flimsy to me....but i do like the sound. the sound of the new muffle is is a bit deeper sounding then i expected when i get on the gas. at idle it almost sounds just like a quiet pack. cruising at 45+ there is nice low hum that i can definatly get used to. Cool . on a scale of 1-10 i give it a 7.5. pretty good for the money (53 bucks at local vw flaps), appears to be built decently out of decent metal...didnt like the flimsy support hangers it came with, but even when mounted without them it felt more soldly attatched to the car then the quiet pack does. for a good, cheap muffler for a stockish engine i recomend this unit.

one of these days i will have the engine to back up the expense of a really nice exhuast system (A1 perhaps). as it stands now my little basicaly stock single porter just cant justify the expense.

ps, i stripped off the stupid black coating that all mufflers come with and sprayed nearly a full cans worth of high temp 1200 degree paint. so far i have put about 40 miles on it and no sign of it burning off. i do need to touch up where it was welded though.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you - The tone of these is way different that stock and I like it a lot myself.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: