Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problem - heater boxes/header
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Problem - heater boxes/header Reply with quote

As you can see here I've got a problem. The heater hose from the fan shroud will literally wrap around the header which I assume will melt it. This is a Kymco 1.5" system with merged header. Has anyone else run into this problem or have I somehow done something wrong here?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks...
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't melt if you use aluminum tube. Head to Auto Zone, they sell acordian tube.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure that, but what about the aluminum foil tube - like what Cip1.com sells? I'd prefer not to have industrial-looking accordion tube on it. Confused
SGFghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the aluminum "foil" type with success with a couple different exhausts; single tip gt and then merged header. I personally like the more subtle look of the black hose but with the scenario that we have, the foil type will not burn. The trick is to plan for extra length to make the bend and reach your heater box.
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. I'll give it a whirl.

I definitely didn't want to use the paper type for fire concerns, but the foil stuff I thought might be too thin as well because it's literally sitting up against the header. Crappy design...
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I bought a Berg one (made by Phoenix) years ago. It has a metal tube attached at the bend and then you use the stock adapters like you use with a pea shooter exhaust.

You can probably go to the Gene Berg site and view it or if you have a catalog it is in there.

In my experience what happens when you run one hose directly from the fan shroud to the heaterbox is that is eventuall chaffs and cuts a hole in it.

I think there are flexible metal tubes avail at part stores that you can can use for the connection from the heater box to the rear tin-then you can use the adapeter, rubber gaskets and stock plastic hoses in the engine compartment.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=MEB0006&cartid=

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=MES0002&cartid=

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=MES0010&cartid=
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best street headers USED to be made by SCAT believe it or not, they actually had real pre-heaters that wrapped the 2/4 primary just like the stock muffler (they actually fit too), which actually preheated the air before it entered the heat exchanger.

But as usual, cost expectations cause that product to be discontinued. Real shame, they were very nice, and were sold thru the late 80s if I recall.

The Berg ones just have a tube welded to a clamp-wrap thing on the side of the header, these tubes never line-up fit right, you end up rewelding and cutting them anyways.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: