Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

checking voltage draw at battery..
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

already thought of that too...

see the green wire in the pic that goes to the generator ground screw? that runs directly to the tranny ground strap =\

im going to swap out the brushes in a couple hours. im picking them up OMW to work. i know they still have life left but they are almost 5 years old..
im running out of options except to just replace the generator or have it rebuilt

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swapped brushes out for new ones nogo.

any more idea before i go and spend nearly 200bucks on a new alternator?

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
max-five
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace, I'm late to this thread, but before you plunk down your dinero on an alternator/generator, Please be advised Auto Zone will test it for free. It is a process called "growling" whereby they spin it with an electrical load on it. Yes, it makes a growling noise when they do it.
Want to buy your original German black '66 bug front seat upholstery...all or part
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know they will test it, but in order to test it, i have to take it off, remove the fan and bring it in to them.

with my wife workin and driving our 2nd car that makes it somewhat difficult.

however, when i check the voltage on the generator its only putting out around 1.8VDC with the regulator disconnecting and motor at around 2500rpms

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i broke down and got a new (reman) gen.

that seemed to have cured it.

**crosses fingers and hopes it lasts more than 3 days this time**

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimace007 wrote:
however, when i check the voltage on the generator its only putting out around 1.8VDC with the regulator disconnecting and motor at around 2500rpms

Sure sounds like the gen to me.

But I wonder what blows them on your car? Double check when you install your new one... gen no-load V, reg output V, and see if you can put a real load on it and recheck the reg V.
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the one on it when i got the car was bad when i got it, it looks ancient and was actually missing the 2-3 "teeth" for lack of a better description that the brushes ride on..

the one i just replaced was im pretty sure one from my old 69 with low mileage on it but.. then again i couldve gotten the gens mixed up i had like 5 on one shelf and only kept one when i moved a couple months ago

however i am going to double check everything tomorrow and make sure there isnt anything out of spec.

thanks again for all the advice and tips

phil

also keith (keifernet) for helping me with a few other issues i had to work out.

if this genny holds up then i can finally start concetrating on removing some of the severely cancerous rust on the battery tray and floorpan.

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: