Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

locking vs non locking gas cap
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: locking vs non locking gas cap Reply with quote

So I learned the other day, the locking gas cap has a replaceable seal while the original non locking has no such feature.

I was wondering, if the locking gas cap can be used like a non locking cap. Just twist it on for day to day use or lock it up for the weekend etc.

Anyone know?

I'm thinking about getting one, just for the replaceable seal aspect.

I bought a aftermarket from the thing shop, and the seal is torn within 3 years.

There is a advertiser on the classifieds that has them for 60.00

chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: locking vs non locking gas cap Reply with quote

Nope. Can't take the key out of it unless it's locked.

On the flip side, you could buy five non-locking gas caps for the price of one locking one. Shocked I tend to believe that 5 gas caps is a lifetime supply.
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seals are not the same and are not interchangeable. Been there.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt mean interchangeable but replacable.

The locking gas cap has a replacable seal while the locking doesnt.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D201%2D557%2DE

I bought the aftermarket one a few years ago and the seal is torn open inside.

Maybe 5 original gas caps would last a lifetime but not the reproductions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the locking gas cap from the Samba classifieds (vwmotoros a.k.a. Quality German Auto Parts) for $60 bucks. It sounded like a good deal comparatively speaking. It was packed well and shipped quickly.

Unfortunately, the keys do not fit in the key slot all of the way. While the cap will lock, it obviously doesn't operate the way it should. I can use it either locked or unlocked, but I don't know if it supposed to work that way for sure. I never got a chance to send it back, and it kind of works so I'm using it.

It took a little time to get used to (screwing it on and off quickly), but it seals well.

I met a fellow Thing owner at the last show I was at, and he said that all of these chrome aftermarket locking gas caps are actually old Honda motorcycle gas caps. He said that you can tell by the "HK" that's stamped on the black plastic portion of the keys. He said that "HK" stood for Honda something or other.

I did a Google search on it but came up empty.

Has anyone else heard this? And has anyone else picked up a cap from Quality German and/or had any problems with them? Just curious.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through 3 non locking gas caps-the seals kept tearing (probably due to the crappy CA gas formulas). Anyway years ago I ponied up some cash and bought a German locking gas cap from the Thing Shop-never had a problem since-great product.
natnmike58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: locking gas cap Reply with quote

I know that NAPA has an aftermarket locking gas cap for the type 2 for around $12.00. You might check with them before spending $60. Just a thought. I purchased a non locking type 2 cap as a backup for under $6. But then I have been known to leave mine on top of the gas pump on occasion! I guess thats why they are attached to the body of modern cars, idiot proofed. Ah well, I guess I am good for the economy! Just a thought.
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lock isn't as smooth as I'd like either but you can unlock it and run it that way if you want.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone ever installed a fuel door kinda like on modern cars? seen a few in random pics looks sharpe i think . been thinkin bout gettin one but the one site i found um at there fairly expensive.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun 181 wrote:

I met a fellow Thing owner at the last show I was at, and he said that all of these chrome aftermarket locking gas caps are actually old Honda motorcycle gas caps. He said that you can tell by the "HK" that's stamped on the black plastic portion of the keys. He said that "HK" stood for Honda something or other.

Not true. The OEM supplier of genuine VW locking gas caps is HK. I don't know what that stands for, but I have seen that HK logo on caps with a VW logo and VW part number.
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell the reproduction of the HK locking gas cap, in my small shop.
I buy them in a german shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is true that the quality of the gasket supplied originally is not good (thin rubber).

So I found a company that created for my shop a better quality gasket (kind of cork, thickness 2 mm).

I can sell the gasket alone. It is not expensive : 3 euros (about 4.50 US Dollars).

Regards
P-J M.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richtrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Same experience and "Fun 181" Reply with quote

I had same poor luck from the same supplier as Fun 181. One key broke on the first day. The second has a slight bend. It is a brittle metal.

Additionally, the gasket sucked. I would smell gas like the tank was in the passenger seat. I removed the gasket and bought silicon gasket in a tube type product and it works okay. I have applied the gasket material twice and there is still a hint of gas odor. Considering one more thin layer to get rid of odor for good.

I bought the gas cap out of concern of some jerk (teenager most likely) pouring crap into my tank, etc. The way the filler tube protrudes out looks far too tempting being in the L.A. area.
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: locking gas cap Reply with quote

natnmike58 wrote:
But then I have been known to leave mine on top of the gas pump on occasion! I guess thats why they are attached to the body of modern cars, idiot proofed. Ah well, I guess I am good for the economy! Just a thought.
Mike

Mine is attached to the filler neck with a chain. It's non-locking, but at least I don't leave it at the pump like I did many times with my bus.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: