Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hood seal & silicon cement
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: hood seal & silicon cement Reply with quote

I have removed my '72 bug hood seal in order to replace it. How can I remove the old silicon cement which has been used, without damaging the paint ? Is there any chemical for that job ?

Thanks for your help, Phil.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: hood seal & silicon cement Reply with quote

Dude, your're hosed!
Silicone caulk or cement, if that is really what you have on your bug, is impervious to just about any chemical known to man. That is why it is so widely used. It is flexible, inert, and stable. You could try acetone and "orange cleaner" first, it the glue comes off, it probably isn't pure silicone. If it really is silicone, mechanical removal is the only way to get it off. The good news is that the silicone doesn't chemically bond to most smooth surfaces. If your paint in the areas of the glue is in good shape, you should be able to remove it. I would suggest CAREFULLY cutting away as much silicone as possible with a new, sharp razor knife. Then, to remove the rest, use Windex and a coarse cotton fabric rag. Old denim works well for this. Wet the rag, the silicone, and use the rag to rub back and forth over the glue. If you use enough force, you should start the process of peeling back the edges of the silicone, and it will "roll up" and come off. Keep it wet, and work small areas at a time. For areas beneath the fold of the metal seal retainer, just cut away as much as you can, until the new seal can be installed properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: hood seal & silicon cement Reply with quote

Well, to be honest, I am not sure that it is silicone. What product is commonly used to attach seals ? and do you remove it as described above ?

Thanks, Phil.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: hood seal & silicon cement Reply with quote

Gasoline and a rag is about the only thing that I know of will break it down. But it takes alot of elbow grease. If you use gas make sure you do it outside wear gloves and try not to breath it. Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: hood seal & silicon cement Reply with quote

3M weatherstrip adhesive is commonly used for attaching rubber. You can get the 3M brand remover for this at any good auto parts store.
That is certainly worth a try before freaking out. The 3M stuff is tan in color, but can turn almost black with time. If there is a blob of the stuff, rip it open, if it looks light tan inside, that is probably the stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: