Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Drop spindle question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Espinosa
8 Mile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

was just out trying to install my CB drop spindles on my 66 bug and was wondering if they require different wheel bearings.

i was putting on the drums and they wouldn't fit correctly.

i put the micrometer on the race and they are quite a bit larger than the stock spindles.

can anyone give me some input? it would be much appreciated. i had visions of actually being on the road in the next day or so.

thanks

scott
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Espinosa
8 Mile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

wanted to add, that i purchased the spindles off flea-bay and the owner said they were for ball joint, drum brakes.

is it possible that they are actually for disk?

what are my options if these are the wrong spindles?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

hey scott, you will need late wheel bearings(outers i think) and also you will need late tierod ends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Espinosa
8 Mile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

it is the inner wheel bearings that won't fit, will the late bearing still fit properly into the drums from my 66?

i got the correct tierods with the spindles.

thanks rizzag!!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

The BJ spindles they sent you must be later model.

66-68 1/2 (split year change) front spindles had smaller bearings and small shank tie rod ends.

You will need both inner and outer later model bearings and they fit the drums no problems, straight swap

As a side note, you can tell they don't fit, as the drums won't even go on... but when the opposite occurs ( peolple put late model drums/and or bearings on the skinnier early spindles, wierd things happen, like when the wheels are turned to the side and you try and take off it feels like the brake are dragging and or the front end is binding up... this has baffled alot of people!
Espinosa
8 Mile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

thanks keith.

suhhh-wheat

i thought i was going to have to buy another set of spindels and have two really funky heavy paper weights. guess i could have used them as boat anchors.

werd

scott
Espinosa
8 Mile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

jeff and keith!!!

thanks for the help!!!!

you guys have gone out of your way for me numerous times either with some content for www.lowlifeVW.com or here with tech info.

it is not going un-appreciated.

THANK YOU BOTH!!!

scott
www.lowlifeVW.com
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

No problem Scott, LOL! I actually enjoy the abuse of trying to help peolple out online! And having your content scrutinzed and spit/shit on! :D

But after I re read your post I am confused as to which spindles you did get so,

I would say just check whatever bearings your gonna use for fit on the spindles by hand, both inner and outer before drifitng in and out the races ect and getting them all greased up and ready to go.

As I recall I helped someone out one time who ordered a "New" set of dropsie's and he got one of each! talk about a pain in the arse to get that sorted out!
Espinosa
8 Mile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

with a couple emails from rizzag and what was posted here, i think i am sure what is going on.

i ended up with 68 and later spindles. they take a different inner bearing.

it is all gonna work out and this thing will be on the road this weekend.

NARROWED AND DUMPED!!! mmmmmmmmmm

sorry if this is a crappy thread but it was kinda a learning experience for me and i am stoked that things are finally coming together. my car has been sitting for too long!!

scott
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

no problem, anytime scott. we better see some pics of this ride once its on the ground.

p.s. everybody if you havent yet go check out scott and thayers website www.lowlifeVW.com its really cool, plus they featured my bus for the car of the month and thats pretty darn cool in my book!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Espinosa
8 Mile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

even thought it is sitting narrow and low, where it is supposed to be, might i add. the thing is still a buk-it. nothing exciting to look at.

i decided that any pictures i take are going to be with thayers car. that way no one will even notice my roach sitting there.

scott
Espinosa
8 Mile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: CB Drop spindle question Reply with quote

it is finally sitting on four wheels!!!

i am soo stoked even though it is a POS.

check it...

http://www.lowlifevw.com/albums/type1/ahz.sized.jpg

http://www.lowlifevw.com/albums/type1/ahy.sized.jpg

http://www.lowlifevw.com/albums/type1/aib.sized.jpg

http://www.lowlifevw.com/albums/type1/aia.sized.jpg

thanks again everyone for their help.

scott
www.lowlifevw.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: