Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Double Bubble" -72 Double Door panel
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: "Double Bubble" -72 Double Door panel Reply with quote

i found this 72 double door the other day but have no idea what it is worth.i have a deposit to hold it but dont know the price the guy wants out of it.so im interested in its value.it is mostley complete,good floors,motor is in it dont know if it runs and it has a title can anybody help give me some idea's of it's worth.i only have a couple pics at the moment but will have more this weekend.thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Stoney Hawk on Mon May 12, 2008 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they say. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Double doors are rare and VERY COOL Cool

For me it would depend on how much I would need/ want to put into it. If you are keeping it for yourself, I would say that is all that matters.

I love it

Shawn

1973 Westfalia, Camper Special with 75 FI. Automatic 003 . Non-pop top
1977 Porsche 911S Targa, 2.7 L with 5spd
1992 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon (SOLD)
1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to call, not sure if it's on purpose but all the potential bad spots are strangely obscured by gas cans and spare parts. Is that a rag top on it?
A very cool rare bus worth investigating but be careful, if the right sides full of mud the left cant be much better, and the outer floor in the front could be the tip of a really big iceburg. It's a big bonus that it's uncut.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it's not a rag top it's just the way the picture looks.I dont know if im going to keep it or find it a new home for it out of the woods.i would like to find out kinda what its worth incase i do flip it i dont want to over spend on it.like i said i will know more after this weekend and i will have some better pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redd73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like the front driver window is down partially. theres probbably a lot of rust on that side in the floor.

i couldnt give you a set "value" on it as im no appraiser. from what i have seen on the samba since march though this is what i can tell you. ive seen running panels from 72 in better cosmetic condition listed for 3 to 4k. these were single door though. ive also seen a couple in primer with no engine listed for over 5k. then relisted. and relisted. and relisted. i assume they never sold. i have not however seen a double door.

you might do a search for production totals to try and get an idea of what numbers these were produced in. also do a google search for 72 double door panel bus. you never know what might pop up.

to get an accurate "whats it worth" value you would need to know how rusted it is underneath, how rusted the floors are, what condition the engine is in etc.

------
73 Westy 2000cc w/dual solex (engine code GE) + aftermarket AC
Patrick199
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want that bus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a picture of the drivers side floor.i also forgot to mention that it is a walk through

thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! I dont know alot about the early bays but I do know thats a rare bus!!! I'd get it! As for a price...start low and see if he bites...if not..slowly go up! Good luck! That find is worth fighting for!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That right there could well be one of the most rare baywindow busses in the US...

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
Steve White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as mentioned its pretty rare but I personally wouldn't pay more then $500 to $1000 for it the way it sits. I notice the interior has been foam insulated. That is going to be a bugger to clean out and it is likely that there is a ton of rust all along the bottom 1/4 being hidden behind the foam. You might want to dig some of the foam out at the bottom of the panels to try and get a look. As a flip I'd expect you could get $1500 to 2500 depending on how long you are willing to wait for the right buyer. The walk though pretty much limits it to being a cargo van which is not what most people, purists or rodders, are looking for.

One thing to keep in mind is that old, rare and mildly desirable does not alway translate well into money.

Cool old bus. Be a shame if it was left sitting there as it doesn't have long to go before it turns to scrap.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess the question is what is it worth to you? to me that thing is a very very cool worthless double slider bus. to you it may be worth thousands. let's hope so, cause that's what it would take to make it a sweet ride once again.
Patrick199
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go save that bus!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you paid a deposit , you don't know if it runs or has a title and you don't know what price the guy actually wants for it?

sounds like a great deal.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
WOW!!! I dont know alot about the early bays but I do know thats a rare bus!!! I'd get it! As for a price...start low and see if he bites...if not..slowly go up! Good luck! That find is worth fighting for!

Early? It's a '72
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
you paid a deposit , you don't know if it runs or has a title and you don't know what price the guy actually wants for it?

it does have a title.as for the deposit, it's for a bigger deal than just the bus.the guy has two 66 bugs in the deal a shed full of vintage parts for old vw's and porsche.some NOS and some just good parts. im looking to buy the whole lot from him. originally i was just going to look at the parts and thats when i found the bus.the deposit is to get other buyers away from my find.going back up this weekend to start digging through parts and bringing parts back to my house.

Last edited by Stoney Hawk on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough, hope it all works out for you. Smile
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grim reaper wrote:
oorwullie wrote:

it does have a title.as for the deposit, it's for a bigger deal than just the bus.the guy has two 66 bugs in the deal a shed full of vintage parts for old vw's and porsche.some NOS and some just good parts. im looking to buy the whole lot from him. originally i was just going to look at the parts and thats when i found the bus.the deposit is to get other buyers away from my find.going back up this weekend to start digging through parts and bringing parts back to my house.

Man you're always finding good stuff. Wink I'd love to have a DD panel. That'd be sweet. Is that actually putty on the bottom of the pass side or primer? If it's putty then it's going to need some serious work and probably won't be worth much. But if it's primer then it will be worth more. I can't give you a range cause I have no idea what it is worth. I'd deff take it though if he gives you a good deal on it. They are rare and would be an awesome ride for sure. Cool

Geno Very Happy
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

Early? It's a '72

72s are early up front.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say you post the m-plate.
I bet the guys over in the m plate forum would love to see it
Let’s be sure the door matches m-plate

The bus needs a lot of work but let’s face it, how many of you have seen a double door bay in mag or show or even on samba
Like bloog said it might be one of the rarest buses in us
There’s only 4 of the germen postal cars (vw.... don’t know the name) in us I think those are worth 50k+

Either way I would think at least 25k restoredIn current condition $$$ would depend on a persons recourses, desire, & ability to rescue.
compare price on double door splitty to same condition double-double door splitty then figure the bay double would be even more rare

POST M-PLATE PLEASE!!!!
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: