Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommended Garage floor coating
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Recommended Garage floor coating Reply with quote

Curious about what people have used on there floors and how it has stood up in time.

Last edited by empiracer on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
reasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longest lasting coating will be epoxy. It will hold up to high traffic, oil, & tires. We coated the floor in our stores with it 5 years ago and it looks as good today as the day we put it down. It daily gets oil spills and forklift traffic with no ill effect. The key to making it work is surface prep. If it can't get a good grip on the concrete it will peel.

It's made by a number of different companies, but Rustoleum is the easiest to find.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=56&SBL=1
73 KAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reasley wrote:
The longest lasting coating will be epoxy. It will hold up to high traffic, oil, & tires. We coated the floor in our stores with it 5 years ago and it looks as good today as the day we put it down. It daily gets oil spills and forklift traffic with no ill effect. The key to making it work is surface prep. If it can't get a good grip on the concrete it will peel.

It's made by a number of different companies, but Rustoleum is the easiest to find.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=56&SBL=1

That is what I used in my 4stall garage..the area that I park my daily driver(SUV) the coating is peeling bad, winter salt does not help Crying or Very sad
I would use U-Coat it if I could do it over again. Yes I followed the prep instuctions. Looked GREAT the first summer though!

Mark
#3 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=775620Kafer-Cup vintage road racer
mandysbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Recomended Garage floor coating Reply with quote

empiracer wrote:
Curious about what people have used on there floors and how it has stood up in time.

my barn has dirt on the floor.it has alot of oil from various spills.i guess it holds up well its been there since 1888.
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Recomended Garage floor coating Reply with quote

mandysbus wrote:
empiracer wrote:

my barn has dirt on the floor.it has alot of oil from various spills.i guess it holds up well its been there since 1888.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Asunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my garage rebuilt a couple of years ago..an old style A frame two car garage separate from the house. I replaced most everything including a new roof and most of the sides and put siding on it. It looks great now and the old concrete floor was in good enough condition to leave alone, except for a few cracks here and there its nice and flat and has firm surface. My guess is that this floor dates back to the original house/garage construction which is the early 1920s..not bad for old concrete in an unheated garage.

A picture of it below

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

clnvwe2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found a product from Griots Garage and I have been very happy with it.
(Industrial Non-Lifting Floor Paint)
It is expensive but well worth it. For more info www.griotsgarage.com
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My garage floor was power troweled or polished whatever you call it. Have a spill, clean it up right away and no stain. Maybe a previous owner sealed it or something. I like it because it doesn't make dust every time you sweep it and it is easy to sweep. If I was to ever build a garage that is how I would do it. I have heard that peeling can be caused by the heat of the tires when you pull right in, and park after driving any distance long enough to build up that kind of heat. My uncle told me that, after his floor peeled right under where the tires always end up. He fixed it and always parked on those square carpet samples afterward. Never peeled again.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubyah73 wrote:
My garage floor was power troweled or polished whatever you call it. Have a spill, clean it up right away and no stain. Maybe a previous owner sealed it or something. I like it because it doesn't make dust every time you sweep it and it is easy to sweep. If I was to ever build a garage that is how I would do it. I have heard that peeling can be caused by the heat of the tires when you pull right in, and park after driving any distance long enough to build up that kind of heat. My uncle told me that, after his floor peeled right under where the tires always end up. He fixed it and always parked on those square carpet samples afterward. Never peeled again.

Bill

wow! i never thought of that as the reason the paint peels in those spots and now i know why my uncle had those carpet pieces down.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That WWII generation knew their shtuff! We should have listened better when we were kids.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: 2013 Update? Reply with quote

Its been several years since there was a discussion on this topic. In that time, Griot's Garage product has been discontinued. I think even the Benjamin Moore product is now discontinued.

I really don't want to get a Rustolium product. So with that, in 2013, what's the best garage floor product on the market?
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ck this site out.....way more info. than you will ever need

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20
j-sou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go epoxy, use a 100% solids kit like "epoxymaster". The stuff you get from Home Depot sucks. I used epoxymaster on an etched surface and it's perfect. I had a couple friends use the rustoleum stuff and it started peeling up, sticks to hot tires, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: