Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Anomoly
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Electrical Anomoly Reply with quote

Search seems to indicate this is a first or rarely documented effect. That or I am really just stupidly overlooking something obvious that everyone else has in their pocket already.

So I'm out working on my 69 bug last night and I connected my timing light to double check the timing (powering it off the + coil terminal, grounding it on the engine decklid hinge) and when I pulled the trigger to start the strobe light working, the whole engine bogs down. The light still fired when it was supposed to but I could only pulse the light in order to not completely kill the engine. It seems like there is some electrical fault in play here. Electrical is a bit of a nuisance for me and I'm currently fighting other battles on the vehicle so I don't have the time to systematically troubleshoot if it's possible someone else has the magic key to understanding. Any thoughts?

And this may be related: I did rework the fuse box wiring a few weeks ago as it was all goofed up from the previous owner, but I made certain to rewire it per the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual and now everything is back on it's proper circuit. All is working as it was before I tinkered with it with the exception of my oil pressure light not lighting on the speedometer. Something did go awry during the rewiring effort there. I suspect the wire between the sender and the speedometer is bad (99% original) as I know the bulb is good and I can't get the wire to arc when disconnected from the sender. Still, I thought I should add this for reference.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
splitty_smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your voltage at the coil?

---1974 Super Beetle "Gus" 1835 Engle 110 Dual Kadrons
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitty_smile wrote:
What is your voltage at the coil?

Just ran out and checked it. It's 5.9V at the coil and just because it seemed like the right thing to do while I was out there, 12.5 V across the battery.

DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timing light gets connected to the B+ terminal on the gen / alt and ground but you should have battery voltage (or close) at the poitive coil lead when disconnected from the coil.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard about connecting at the generator as well, but always got the impression that it didn't really matter which method you used. In the past, on other cars, I've always had the battery conveniently at hand so this situation never presented itself. Still, when I've timed this engine previously (about a month or two prior was the most recent instance) I've not had any trouble using the coil mount. Is this as simple as saying I need a new coil or is there the possibility that I've just stumbled onto some upstream effect and am just noticing it at the coil? In my experience, when most electrical parts fail, they just fail completely rather than peter out.

bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you only have 5.9 volts at the coil, you have found your problem...you are actually lucky a 12 volt coil will fire enough to run the engine at that voltage..

GEX has. Just sayin
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured as much, but there's always that little bit of me that hopes there's a loophole to keep me from shelling out cash I don't have. Will replace the coil and see what happens. Worse case scenario, I suppose, I've got a spare.

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the coil works and there is only 5 volts to it, the coil is fine, you have a wiring problem. Would hate to see you spend money on something you dont need!
Calex59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
I figured as much, but there's always that little bit of me that hopes there's a loophole to keep me from shelling out cash I don't have. Will replace the coil and see what happens. Worse case scenario, I suppose, I've got a spare.

Check your voltage at the regulator. If you have 12 + at the battery and 5.9 at the positive side of the coil(not the center wire) then you have a problem between the battery and the coil. Your coil is most likely good. Check the regulator, if your getting the correct voltage there, keep checking all your wiring until you find the bad spot.
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, to check your oil pressure wire, ground the wire at the sender with the ignition turned off. Go to the light on the speedometer and read the wire to ground using an ohmeter. If you read "0" ohms your wire is good from end to end. Any thing else and the wire opened or shorted to metal. If you can find out where it is shorted to metal you might also find out that your coil wire is partially shorted at the same place. One more thing. Did your light ever work before you repaired the wiring locations. If it did not did the PO use tape on the sender threads? The sender needs to be threaded into bare metal to properly ground itself.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read in Bentley that condensor can affect the ignition voltage so I checked that this moring and it checked out all right. Which leaves me to check the following today:

1. Check firing on all four plugs (just for my peace of mind, I'm having off idle, under load carb adjustment issues too)

2. Check voltage regulator

3. Check oil pressure switch wiring.

Anything other suggestions? I'll report back my findings.

EDIT:

Used the timing light to see that current is indeed flowing through all four plugs. It doesn't sound like it's missing a cylinder and the plugs themselves were fine about a month ago, I'm not going to pull them and double check.

Voltage at regulator was 11.7 V steady. Still working the verification of the oil pressure switch wiring and the carb adjustment. Damn H30/31.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the others: 5.9 Volts at the coil is not correct, first thing I'd work on.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
woodgoldendale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure the timing light does not have an advance setting on it
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to add as I got distracted today by getting zapped by an exposed lead on a wire. Fixed that and fiddled with the carb some more and now I can drive it again, just need to overrev each gear moreso than normal to keep from sputtering. Tomorrow is back to the electrical business.

Quote:
make sure the timing light does not have an advance setting on it

My timing light doesn't have an advace so I'm good there. Off to study a wiring diagram.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Loaf wrote:
And, to check your oil pressure wire, ground the wire at the sender with the ignition turned off. Go to the light on the speedometer and read the wire to ground using an ohmeter. If you read "0" ohms your wire is good from end to end. Any thing else and the wire opened or shorted to metal. If you can find out where it is shorted to metal you might also find out that your coil wire is partially shorted at the same place. One more thing. Did your light ever work before you repaired the wiring locations. If it did not did the PO use tape on the sender threads? The sender needs to be threaded into bare metal to properly ground itself.

Did the test you described and got 0.5 Ohms. I checked the internal resistance of my multimeter (touched the leads together) and this gave me 0.3 Ohms meaning their is an additional 0.2 Ohms of resistance floating around somewhere in the circuit. This seems awfully small to suggest a short (and not an open circuit as my multimeter displays infinite resistance as the number one on the LHS of the display) which makes me think that wiring is likely good. But if this is true, why can't I get the lamp to illuminate when I disconnect the wire at the sender, ground it, then turn the ignition key? And the lamp did illuminate prior to me straightening out the wiring in the fuse box. Is it possible that the lamp socket housing in the speedometer somehow lost its grounding to the other socket housings? Those housing were stuck in there pretty good when I did the wiring correction. Is my logic just incorrect?

Incidentally, I did double check the wires into and out of the fuse box to make sure everything was still correctly connected. It is.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have 11.7v at the regulator, you need to start working your way to the coil + (15) connection.

BTW, I feel 11.7v is borderline. Is this the voltage you get when the engine is running and the generator is charging? You should see something like 12.8v at the regulator w/ the engine at a fast idle.

First stop should be the back of the headlight switch. Terminal #30 comes from the battery/regulator (thickest wire). You should see something close to 11.7v.

Next the #30 terminal on the ignition switch. This wire comes from the headlight switch.

Next hit the lower end of the #1 & #2 fuses (black wires). This is where the coil gets it's power from. Note the voltage here. If this is anywhere close to 11.7v, then your problem is with the wire run from here to the coil.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

BTW, I feel 11.7v is borderline. Is this the voltage you get when the engine is running and the generator is charging?

No, sorry. This was my voltage with the key on and the engine not running. By means of further information, I checked my oil pressure switch for continuity and it showed as an open circuit so I went ahead and invested $30 to replace that along with my coil. The oil light is lighting again and the coil is seeing the same 11.7 V as the regulator (tested as I described here).

Quote:
You should see something like 12.8v at the regulator w/ the engine at a fast idle.

I'll double check the regulator and coil to insure this is what I'm getting while running at fast idle, but I've got a busy schedule the next 48 hours so I may not get to it too soon.

Thanks for the help! I've yet to repeat my initial test w/the timing light that started this whole discovery process so I'll have to give that a go in my next work session.

bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the values that ashman has quoted are too low...you should have a little over 12v at the battery with the engine (and key) off.... you should approach 14volts when the engine is sped up...if you don't you won't have enough voltage to charge the battery and run the electronics...anything lower than 13.5volts when the engine is over 2500-3000 rpms is too low....
check out speedy jim's site...
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm

GEX has. Just sayin
Bugorsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Anomoly Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
So I'm out working on my 69 bug last night and I connected my timing light to double check the timing (powering it off the + coil terminal, grounding it on the engine decklid hinge) and when I pulled the trigger to start the strobe light working, the whole engine bogs down. The light still fired when it was supposed to but I could only pulse the light in order to not completely kill the engine.

It sounds like you are connecting the positive clip of your strobe to the wrong terminal on the coil and when you pull the trigger it is grounding out the coil and causing the engine to die out. Try connecting it on the other coil terminal next time you use it.
Topline Parts
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Anomoly Reply with quote

Bugorsh wrote:

It sounds like you are connecting the positive clip of your strobe to the wrong terminal on the coil and when you pull the trigger it is grounding out the coil and causing the engine to die out. Try connecting it on the other coil terminal next time you use it.

That occured to me as well as the most obvious solution as the symptoms seems to be textbook counter current issues, but I was reasonably sure I had it right when I did it...connected positive clamp on the gun to terminal 15, not terminal 1. Of course, the fog of time and some self doubt has crept in, I suppose I may have done it wrong being focused on my carb adjustment issues at the time.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: