Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out??
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

I know its a newb question but this is my first bus and i dont know much. But how do i get the Front door window frames out?

Yellowbeard wrote:
I hate people who quote other people...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two phillips screws on the rear edge of the door, two bolts on the front of the door, two more bolts on the inside of the door, and two 6mm nuts under the door frame. Then lift straight up while the door is open.
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 13mm bolts behind 2 plastic plugs on the edge of the door and 2 more under the door panel.

Underneath the frame, up inside the door there are 2 10mm nuts on studs. Lube them up, they have a tendency break off.

Then on the back edge of the door there are 2 big philips screws. Impact screwdriver may be needed.
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

Hi Guys

is it possible to remove the window frames without removing the door??
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

stevo96 wrote:
Hi Guys

yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
stevo96 wrote:
Hi Guys

yes

You can leave the door on.
You do want the door panel out of the way.
Those two 13mm bolts forward of the inner door handle need to come off.
There are two 10mm nuts on studs that point straight down, reach up into the door for those
and the other four fasteners, as was said.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

You really need to get a Bentley reprint of the original VW dealer workshop manual.

1955-1962:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=canonical&q=wolfsburg+west+vw+parts&ia=web

1963-1967:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=book4

Yes, expensive at first glance, but worth every cent.

You can find them used in the classifieds now and then for much less or other places online like Ebay.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

Long time lurker here mining all the good info in getting my 66 Standard Microbus back on the road. I'll introduce myself and my bus in the very near future, however, having recently gone through the process of removing my front door window frame assemblies, let me add one, ok, two things...

1) I would highly suggest that after you remove all the bolts, screws and nuts that fasten the entire window frame assembly to the top of the door and begin to lift it off the top of the door---what hasn't been pointed out yet is that the lower channel of the window frame, under the glass that supports the glass when you remove the entire frameis connected to the legs of the frame inside the door by 4 very small screws, washers and nuts. You can only access them when the frame is out of the door. However, these 4 critical fasteners may have either rusted and fallen out of place or a previous owner may have not replaced them last time the frame assemblies were out of the door. Bottom line: Highly recommend you put a few strips of duct tape on your two window glass pieces---the fixed window and the sliding window---and loop the tape over the top of the frame to hold the glass in place when you remove the frames. Trust me on this one. Heaving up on the frame assembly only to have your two large pieces of glass teetering on the edge of disaster is NOT where you want to be! Because I've recently been there!

2) If you'll notice in the photo above, there is a hole in the side of the door frame between the 2 vertical bolts near the door handle. There is a matching hole in the window frame. Once you get the frame back in place, you can use that hole to place either a long punch or Phillips head screwdriver to lever the frame down just that little bit to compress the seal that fits atop the door between the frame and the top of the door so things will fit well.

Good luck, don't drop your window glass!
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
You really need to get a Bentley reprint of the original VW dealer workshop manual.

1955-1962:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=canonical&q=wolfsburg+west+vw+parts&ia=web

1963-1967:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=book4

Yes, expensive at first glance, but worth every cent.

You can find them used in the classifieds now and then for much less or other places online like Ebay.

What this guy said x1M! The Bentley manual is your friend!

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
2) If you'll notice in the photo above, there is a hole in the side of the door frame between the 2 vertical bolts near the door handle. There is a matching hole in the window frame. Once you get the frame back in place, you can use that hole to place either a long punch or Phillips head screwdriver to lever the frame down just that little bit to compress the seal that fits atop the door between the frame and the top of the door so things will fit well.

Killer help advice. I wonder if that is a factory thing. On the front and rear you could do it using one of the bolt holes but making sure not to damage the threads.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
BonTonRoulet wrote:

Killer help advice. I wonder if that is a factory thing. On the front and rear you could do it using one of the bolt holes but making sure not to damage the threads.

Not all buses have this hole. In fact I have never noticed it on any of my splits. They have mostly been pre-62 though so I wonder if its a push button door thing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

I think you are correct after looking at photos of front doors from the classified section. Looks like the hole between the bolts is a 64-67 thing.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

Duct tape residue is horrible.
I strongly recommend against using it on your bus. It is bad for the paint.

If you feel like your frames might come apart, I suggest using something other than duct tape to secure them. Blue painter's tape?
I haven't had them come apart, but understand it could happen.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

Side question - Aside from the seal that goes around the vent wing (which I've heard is very challenging), are the rest of the felts and the seals relatively easy to do?

I'm working through window seals as they are mostly original and leaking. I wouldn't mind also getting rid of the rattle of the cab door windows if it's not going to turn into a week long project or a bunch of cussing... there's plenty of other ways to fill the swear jar. Smile

Thanks!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

I've done everything but the vent wings several times and they were all pretty easy except for running the seal along the top channel around the door top frame.

I usually have to clean the entire channel out really well, then use lots of lube to get it to slide through.

Pic from a very long time ago
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also like to work with glass on a bare concrete floor because that's super smart and safe Very Happy

The last one I did the door top was installed in the door and it seemed easier.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I've done everything but the vent wings several times and they were all pretty easy except for running the seal along the top channel around the door top frame.

The last one I did the door top was installed in the door and it seemed easier.

Yeah, seems like that type seal (I think it's the same or almost the same as the pop out seal) is always a pain. Having the frame installed looks like it would be simpler since you can leverage the door better... theoretically Smile

EverettB wrote:
I also like to work with glass on a bare concrete floor because that's super smart and safe Very Happy

Isn't that what everyone does? Laughing

Thanks!
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

As for duct tape residue on paint, I didn't think about that since my frames were nothing but rusty looking patina. I imagine most are these days. A bit of WD-40 on a paper towel would clean it up nicely. The main point of the suggestion was don't find yourself in a bind when the frame comes out without the lower channel and your 2 large pieces of window glass hit the floor.

As for the rubber seal that fits around the outer perimeter of the window frame assembly, make sure you use a tool to clean the metal channels where it fits, and unless you are really tall or want to stand on a stool or the sorts, I found it a lot easier to do this job on the ground. A bit of Sil-Glyde (NAPA) wiped in the channels and a thin wipe of the seal, grab the rubber with a pair of vice grips about 1" from the end and pull it through. If it gets tight, stop and grab the tight section with your hand and pull it towards the end with the vice grips. I started from the front and pulled it over the less than 90 degree corner first before the 90 degree corner at the top rear of the assembly. If you are concerned about using vice grips latched to the rubber to pull it around.....the rubber pieces I used were sourced from WCM in 1994 and spent the last 26 years on a shelf, in a storage room attached to a carport.

Now, as to those vent wing seals that fit in the frame, that's a task all to its own and I found it easier to do those with the frame temporarily attached to the top of the door and before the outer perimeter seal. Liberal use of blue painters tape on my newly powder coated frames around the seal and the frame as it was seated was the trick. As for the tool to do this job poking, jabbing and slipping that inner seal into the grooves of the frame and getting the outer lip of the seal to seat nicely on the outer edge of the frames, I turned to my favorite "Go to tools" being various sizes of RC model airplane nylon propellers. A whole lot of places on the old bus that the model airplane propellers get the job done. Want to get that old weather stripping out of the channel around the doors and cargo doors without scratching the paint and encouraging rust? The prop is your friend! Greasy gunk of gear oil, motor oil and dirt from 55 years on the transmission frame horns? Grab a prop!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb Question: HOw do you get the window frames out?? Reply with quote

Tape from a $5 roll of duck tape will leave residue. Tape from a $23 dollar roll of duct tape will not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: