Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Brighten Rear Lights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgSong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: How to Brighten Rear Lights Reply with quote

My first post, however I have been lurking and learning from these boards
since I bought my '87 Westy back in October. It has been fun to work on and thankfully the engine was recently rebuilt so no worries there.

I have thought of adding the Euro Smoke taillights for cosmetic reasonings but do they offer better visibilty to the rear? Can I just go with a higher watt bulbs? I just don't want to have someone ride up on me.

Thanks.

FYI, if you care here is my ride, "Rose" and some mods.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1938876
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoked lenses would certainly add to the "cool" factor, but will only add to the dullness of the rear lights.

If you haven't already, add a brighter bulb, but you'll find that using an LED brake and tail light will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Skip using an LED in the turnsignal, as they will cause your flasher to operate too fast, unless you add a "load equalizer".

Check TK's adds on the parts for sale. He periodically advertises these LED kits.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: How to Brighten Rear Lights Reply with quote

DawgSong wrote:
I just don't want to have someone ride up on me.

Thanks.

Well for what it's worth, here is my solution, triggered when caught in a nasty rainstorm between NY state and Sin City, when with near zero visibility the 18 wheelers were passing me going 70mph+

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turn signal, 55 watts halogens on a switch on/off. Also 55 watts H3s in red additional lights with a three position switch on with brake lights/off/on with parking lights.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have been known to put a small layer of aluminum foil inside of the light housing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hunted up the 50 watt bulbs for the rear stop, turn, and reverse lights. You can find them if you hunt around your FLAPS. The difference was significant.

However, since many holiday drivers appear to be blind to low tail lights, I am considering a second set of lights up in the top half of the window. I do not use that section anyway, it is covered by my AC.

Matt
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my first Vanagon in 1990, the previous owner had installed a 3rd brake light. That recently died, not just the bulb. I think it was a good idea and like to replace it. Has anybody found a good 3rd brake light setup to fasten to the inside of the rear glass?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just use an led trailer light. It's just fastened to the rear ac housing now, but I was planning on prettying it up at some point. I do consider this a MUST have.

I also have added a rear fog light to the existing cluster for times when visibility is bad.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawg the smokes won't get you any brighter, but they won't be duller either. I have a set on mine. I used regular bulbs, They came with 2 colored bulbs and do not say which place to put them. I found them to work best in the running light as they give the proper color there. I have noticed the others don't have as good or correct color due to the smoke lens, same goes for the fronts they also come with colored bulbs. Honestly though I don't worry too much about my taillights, 95% of the time there is a trailer hooked up to is as I only use the westy for camping/events anymore

allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw in the classifieds brighter bulbs on this site. Someone was selling them. I dont know if that is an option for you or not.
brooklynvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Brighten Rear Lights Reply with quote

How can that be good? 55w is the same as a head light. Not as focused but still, It's got to be hell on all the other drivers night vision. You might be trading other peoples safety for yours.

VisPacem wrote:
DawgSong wrote:

Thanks.

Well for what it's worth, here is my solution, triggered when caught in a nasty rainstorm between NY state and Sin City, when with near zero visibility the 18 wheelers were passing me going 70mph+

Turn signal, 55 watts halogens on a switch on/off. Also 55 watts H3s in red additional lights with a three position switch on with brake lights/off/on with parking lights.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to Brighten Rear Lights Reply with quote

brooklynvanagon wrote:
How can that be good? 55w is the same as a head light. Not as focused but still, It's got to be hell on all the other drivers night vision. You might be trading other peoples safety for yours.

VisPacem wrote:
DawgSong wrote:

Thanks.

Unverified assumptions based on facts not on evidence. I thought if I read my own text correctly that I mentioned clearly in:
=> ...near zero visibility... <=

In addition, those "rear fog lights" with H3 bulbs have been commonly used on automobiles in Europe, particularly on the autobahnen without anyone being endangered, blinded, maimed, burned or traumatized. On the other hand many collisions have been avoided.

The last fact being that other drivers coming in, to forcefully kiss the rear end of my van, is most likely to be much more detrimental >>to them<< than to me. Also, I have ==never== been blinded or disconcerted by incoming drivers using white or yellow fog lights 55W or more.

I shall also point out that said rear lights are most useful and safe when used when facing a blinding sun set not even mentioning that I have used with +++proper caution+++ that setup on my three previous Vanagons from California to Oregon and from New York State to California without any objections from anyone, from law enforcement to soccer mom and from senior citizens to teenagers. But then you have not seen them in use.

The only hazard I could imagine could be my back up lights
----IF---- they were NOT wired to reverse, which they are, and as I am not in the habit of driving our beautiful freeways and highways in reverse I do not think they present any kind of problem, not counting that being on an ON/OFF switch I may adapt their use to the prevailing conditions and surroundings when backing up.
Therefore, objection overruled and +++accusation+++ dismissed *****very respectfully****

Danke schohn

But I do wish you a Merry Christmas and a safe holiday.

I do not hold the Truth, I only long for it.

LG aka VisPacemPB
brooklynvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some facts for you.

Your setup is illegal for street use. When you so deem you've got 220 watts of red and yellow lights hanging off your back end.

You can't imagine that your setup would disturb anyones night vision. Which I just don't understand. There's this thing call dark adaptation. http://webvision.med.utah.edu/light_dark.html

You state you have never been blinded. Well that's your words. A sample of one. In your opinion that's as good as solid safe research. And your betting others safety on it. You don't need to be blinded to be impaired.

I believe your lights could cause some impairment to a driver where they would not be able to react in time to see a lesser lighted vehicle after passing yours. Natural human reaction times and the autonomic response of the eye dictate that as fact.

The "rear fog lights" you speak of in europe are often used singularly, and are *fog* lights. Show me where they use h3's as turns and brakes and parking please. Your setup would be illegal to run on the autobahn, wouldn't it? Yet you want to imply that somehow your setup is valid there.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooklynvanagon wrote:
There's this thing call dark adaptation. ttp://webvision.med.utah.edu/light_dark.html.

Interesting site, although I can not figure out why they post bhp/torque curves for the WBX...

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:
brooklynvanagon wrote:
There's this thing call dark adaptation. ttp://webvision.med.utah.edu/light_dark.html.

Interesting site, although I can not figure out why they post bhp/torque curves for the WBX...

Ouaaf ouaaf

You got be from Brooklyn to understand
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooklynvanagon wrote:

Your setup is illegal for street use. When you so deem you've got 220 watts of red and yellow lights hanging off your back end.

You can't imagine that your setup would disturb anyones night vision. Which I just don't understand. There's this thing call dark adaptation. http://webvision.med.utah.edu/light_dark.html

You state you have never been blinded. Well that's your words. A sample of one. In your opinion that's as good as solid safe research. And your betting others safety on it. You don't need to be blinded to be impaired.

I believe your lights could cause some impairment to a driver where they would not be able to react in time to see a lesser lighted vehicle after passing yours. Natural human reaction times and the autonomic response of the eye dictate that as fact.

The "rear fog lights" you speak of in europe are often used singularly, and are *fog* lights. Show me where they use h3's as turns and brakes and parking please. Your setup would be illegal to run on the autobahn, wouldn't it? Yet you want to imply that somehow your setup is valid there.

Very well. This will be my last post on this subject as I have no desire to engage into useless argument with self appointed Regulators/Law "experts" totally ignorant of facts, legal and practical.

My setup is NOT illegal:

California Vehicle Code sections:

My "220" watts has no direct relation with the amount of perceived light as "watt" is NOT a unit of said illumination.
>>The watt (symbol: W) is the SI derived unit of power, equal to one joule of energy per second.<<

A 1000 "watt" bulb inside a closed black box emits NO light. A 10 "watt" bulb inside an anti aircraft projector reflector emits a lot of light. How much, I could not care less.

Anyway, the Law might be different in Brooklyn and enforced by self appointed vigilantes, it is of no concern to me as I have no intention whatsoever of ever visiting this mecca of philanthropist good-doer's. They don't even allow CCWs.

Final end of discussion, as far as I am concerned.
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the law is, but my Audi A6 has both front and rear fog lights (fronts are white, rears are red). The rear lights are about as bright as brake lights, but smaller, to warn approaching cars. The manual even warns the user to use them only in poor visibility situations to avoid distracting drivers.

Since this is a US spec car, I assume there is some sort of regulation to allow this.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, perhaps somebody is over reacting here. A 55 watt lamp, filterd thru a translucent red lens, and diffused by a fog type lens certainly will not blind any drivers. Certainly not like a 55 watt white head lite focused into one's retina.
Surprising about the Audi fog tail lites.
I just re-imported a UK spec 1996 Jeep. It has a lot of lighting features that US cars don't have, like driver adjustable headlight height aiming.
And Fog lights front and rear.
The rears are pretty much like the previously described Audi lights.
Too bad our DOT has to protect us from such improvements.
Al
l
Vanagons:
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: My Way... Reply with quote

Have a look here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161963

Working great, legal, saves battery power. I did use LED's on the REAR flashers, it doesn't bother me that they blink quickly. I WANT them to notice.

Best!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooklynvanagon wrote:

I strongly suspect that this dark adaptation occurs more at lower levels of lighting than are reached by a driver viewing the road with his headlights.
On a related topic, I once read in an automotive magazine, that drivers would all be better off leaving their brights on continuously. I tend to agree. But!! Perhaps my experience is too heavily weighted from driving with the very poor headlights of my 1986 and up Vanagons
How do other feel about this?
Al
Vanagons:
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
On a related topic, I once read in an automotive magazine, that drivers would all be better off leaving their brights on continuously. I tend to agree. But!! Perhaps my experience is too heavily weighted from driving with the very poor headlights of my 1986 and up Vanagons
How do other feel about this?
Al

Last summer while attending traffic safety school (not as a result of driving the Vanagon) one of the points the instructor made was that it is not recommended to keep your brights on for longer than 20 sec or so, because you focus on whats too far down the road and not on what's directly in front of you. I've always just kept them on when they're on (except when another vehicle approaches from the opposite direction or passes me since I've come to expect the same from others), especially in my '84 w/ stock headlights.

EDIT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: