Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need pics of Syncro engine skid plate installed.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic, the arrow show about where we bent it down. It is very subtle. It only needed a bit to give enough clearance to guarantee it would not rattle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you meant you bent the brace. I thought you meant you bent the pipe.

Kind of weird: maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but your #1 runner tube looks like it has a curve in it where it emerges from under the trans. Mine is pretty straight there. But I looked at S&S site and they sell the same model for late 2.1's and Syncros.

I'll just have to see how it goes. I'm going to put a joint in that pipe nearer the collector, so worst comes to worst, I can do a special Syncro #1 pipe with the extra bends for clearance there.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I kind of recall that the S&S system I bought was supposed to be for the Syncro. It has held up rather well. The reddish color is not rust, but backed on Redwall limestone dust from the dirt roads here. It gets everywhere. Kind of a contsant battle cleaning stuff off.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe surface rust is a problem on exhaust tubing, unless you live in an extreme road-salting region. The acidic reactions from carbon on the interior will thin the tubing as fast as surface corrosion on the outside will, but either one will take many years before they necessitate replacement. A lot of folks seem obsessed with how their exhaust pipes look. I might worry about a few things in life, but I would certainly never worry about that.

The S&S stuff is pretty well-made, I must say, construction-wise. Not tuned, but reasonably rugged. Mine has withstood ten years of what I could only characterise as callous abuse, and it's still in decent shape, rust and all. Just about everyone here puts them down, but I don't think most of them have actually bought one of their systems. I'll take theirs over the stock nightmare any day, at least until I have my own.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: