Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

STOLEN -- Ghia was gone this morning.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: STOLEN -- Ghia was gone this morning. Reply with quote

Out of a locked garage. Filed the report and waiting to hear back from my insurance tomorrow. The cop I spoke with thought it was likely on its way out of the country already. I'm still holding hope it will turn up somehow.

I have comprehensive with Geico, but I guess it all depends what they evaluate it at...

Anybody have experience with this? I've never had my car stolen, so any tips are welcome.

Thanks,

Jos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jos, that really sucks! Sad
I'm hoping you'll get her back.

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats terrible.

Hang in there maybe you will get lucky for christmas

I'm reminded of the movie "GONE IN 60 SECONDS"

I guess it isn't just in the movies.

Keep us posted. May the fleas of thousand camels infest the MF that stole it.
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't even imagine something like that happening to me. I'm really sorry to hear it and I know how sick you must feel. I sure hope someone signed you up for Overhaulin.
Cobey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkrapMetal wrote:
I couldn't even imagine something like that happening to me. I'm really sorry to hear it and I know how sick you must feel. I sure hope someone signed you up for Overhaulin.

Ditto, though, I think they only do American.

Home Solar Power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobey wrote:
SkrapMetal wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261977&highlight=foose
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you get it back!!! Good luck!!

Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the support guys -- Thinking I won't be on Overhaulin' or Pimp My Ride -- It was pretty pimped out already -- that's probably why it's gone.

Vince,

Thanks for all your help over the years man. My doors came from you and and lots of other parts, not to speak of the Ghia hotline you answered when I had no clue what chrome trim piece to use, or how to adjust my door gap. I've got some great B&W shots of your back yard I'll have to digitize some time.

Anyway -- maybe she'll be back soon -- we'll see.

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN -- Ghia was gone this morning. Reply with quote

gatorjos wrote:
Out of a locked garage. Filed the report and waiting to hear back from my insurance tomorrow. The cop I spoke with thought it was likely on its way out of the country already. I'm still holding hope it will turn up somehow.

I have comprehensive with Geico, but I guess it all depends what they evaluate it at...

Anybody have experience with this? I've never had my car stolen, so any tips are welcome.

Thanks,

Jos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That really sucks !! Out of a locked garage is even more violating. As far as tips for people to keep an eye for it, you should mention what general area or city it was stolen from. Also mention if the car has any unique or odd charicteristics to look for such as a dent, bodywork, interior type, any recognizabe accessories, etc... Good luck and I hope you find it soon.
RMCLARKSON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear your loss. I am up in No Cal I will keep my eyes open Because you have a unique car I would put out flyers. Maybe someone would call you. Check Craigs List and Ebay. I hope you get it back. Seemes like a sweet ride.

Everyone should think about getting Guidepoint trackers for there cars that why if they are stolen the police just show up and track it. Plus they have a guarantee up to $7000. Sorry I work in a car delaership: but in this case it would work.
Cobey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:
Cobey wrote:
SkrapMetal wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261977&highlight=foose

I stand corrected. (I gave up on the show after the 3rd or 4th season.)

Home Solar Power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a daily driver, if not, you really should not use your normal insurance company, as they will likely screw you.

Use a company like hagerty or grundy, then you just insure the car for a stated value. If you say the car is work $10k, and they agree, you insure it at $10k. Then if something happens to it, there is no discussion, you get $10k.

Really sucks bro.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this a few years ago...maybe some of my experiences would help:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363283&highlight=#363283

Good luck--I really hate that, especially the part about how only another enthusiast would take your car. What an asshole.
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude that totaly blows.
post the pic for us on vwswap.com
so we can keep watch for it .

!@#%% heads deserve a rat trap in the crotch .

Mad
johnny knob dude
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwayne prince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope you find your ride and when you do i hope you find thepos who stole it sitting in the drivers seat.do us all a favor when you do and kick his(or her) ass so bad that people will wonder about the sanity of vw owners and leave our stuff alone.hopefully your insurance won't screw you over and will take some of the sting out of it.my theory is if you want something get a j.o.b. and buy it,everything has a price even if its high.if the thief is reading this-YOU SUCK and turn yourself in ,go to jail and get a wife named bubba while your in there. i'll keep a lookout on this end of the country for it in the meantime,we get alot of california cars here
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Is this a daily driver, if not, you really should not use your normal insurance company, as they will likely screw you.

Use a company like hagerty or grundy, then you just insure the car for a stated value. If you say the car is work $10k, and they agree, you insure it at $10k. Then if something happens to it, there is no discussion, you get $10k.

Really sucks bro.

x2. your regular insurance company is going to go by the depreciated value, not an agreed-upon value. I use Hagerty for all 3 classics. Here's hoping you don't get screwed...would be a shame Sad
kasparkat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Geico Reply with quote

I had Geico insurance until they told me that they will give me what they determine the value of my car to be. Not necessarily the true value. Mine is not a convertible and they were only going to give me $1500 for it. It is a '72 as well. I am with Haggerty now. Good luck.
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Geico today, and they said they would have a third party evaluate the car, and then discuss it with me. I've got about $10k worth of receipts, so we'll see how that plays in. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all the support -- if I catch the thief they will be sorry.

Previous romances:

DerekR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them as much info and pics of your car as you can and give them comparable cars to help them come to the right value. Overwhelm them with info to document their file and they will be able to pay you a proper settlement. Most of the time they just need the info so they can satisfy their superiors. Show them that Nada value is not correct.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decade ago I was with Metlife through my employer and had comprehensive, but dropped them when they told me my VW was so old it had no value, and they wouldn't pay anything, that it would be a fight, so I quit them. But they readily took my money, the &$#^%*^(*$@%&%^@ crooks!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: