Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Non-vent vent windows!?! FAQ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Non-vent vent windows!?! FAQ Reply with quote

Alright, just saw this in the gallery. Where can I get a set? Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you want a set? kind of useless. the direction control you have on vent windows in the summer is awesome...with them closed all the cooler air seems to blow behind you and not on you due to the location of the side window when you do the bus driver lean. vent windows are helpful...i'd recommend keeping them Wink

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_am_cool_fred wrote:
why would you want a set? kind of useless. the direction control you have on vent windows in the summer is awesome...with them closed all the cooler air seems to blow behind you and not on you due to the location of the side window when you do the bus driver lean. vent windows are helpful...i'd recommend keeping them Wink

He wasn't looking for your opinion on wether he needed a set or not, he asked where to get them.

Those non vented wing windows were standard equipment on Buses in Europe. Opening vent windows like here in the US were optional in Europe, and a lot of people are importing the opening vent windows to retrofit their Euro spec Buses. Pretty cool thing to have to be different, but I also enjoy having the vent windows open in the Bus on a nice hot summer day.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bit, tech. Maybe fred is too cool to understand. Laughing

For fresh air I use the directional vents on the dash. As far as the vent wing windows is concerned, the ones on the Dormy have been closed for over 6 years. Once you get a bee suck in your face you may be thinking differently! Shocked

Hence my choice of a ventless window. Not to mention the elimination of yet another source of a possible water leak. Cool
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah once a bee bounces off that window, the first thing it does is sting the first thing it hits, usually the driver. I have had that happen.....Your best bet would probably be to conact one of our members from the UK, maybe do a trade, your vented windows for their non vented.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could try to find a euro-spec bus here in the states...

I do have to admit, at times it would be nice if they opened but as was mentioned, it's also cool to be different. Same for the lack of jalousies... but it sure looks smooth with that solid pane in there. '70 only I believe - ours was one of those tourist delivery jobbies.

tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: a Reply with quote

go to www.earlybay.com and offer to trade someone your vents for that style or put a wanted ad on that site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '70 Belgium imported microbay has those solid vents. Didn't like the looks of them when I first got it but have come to like them.
Your right about the less places for a leak plan.

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mosparx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On those days that your bus "gasses out" and the cab is filled with fumes, it is good to have to working vent wing windows to help ventilate the bus. Spin them all the way forward to ram fresh air into the cab. Works good on really hot days too to keep some cool air circulating. Just makes it really hard to light up a smoke with a Scripto lighter.
aggri1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find them really useful on the Splitty (to 'ram' fresh air straight at the driver/pass', as Mosparx said) but my Bay hasn't got them, and I don't miss them at all - the fresh air vents on the Bay are pretty good. I have actually only seen the opening front vent windows on maybe one or two 'deluxe' Bays, they are almost nonexistent over here.

Cheers, A.
Clembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Uk vans have these as standard, and most UK bus owners are desperate to replace them with opening windows!

Im sure youll be able to source a s/h set from the uk, if you can find some that arent rusted out!
snotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clembus wrote:
Most Uk vans have these as standard, and most UK bus owners are desperate to replace them with opening windows!

Im sure youll be able to source a s/h set from the uk, if you can find some that arent rusted out!

'Tis true what Clem says. Fixed vents standard fitting on most UK buses, so we all import used opening vents from the States Very Happy ... The grass is always greener, etc.

Might try a UK site...don't weigh too much so shipping to US shouldn't be that bad, but be aware that the fixed upright (and d-frames at the front) rot like crazy so be careful what you're buying. Replacements available at a (considerable) price...
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: a Reply with quote

Thanx to all, speacially tub for the link. Razz

tubdub wrote:
go to www.earlybay.com and offer to trade someone your vents for that style or put a wanted ad on that site

Signed up but it takes a while to get "allowed" to post. Highly understandable as I too volunteer to handle some of the "issues" with our own website www.sv2s.com and know full well it ain't easy. Rolling Eyes

I've just never seen this set up before and as I already mentioned, do not want or need them to open, it'd be a kool item to have. However, it's not going to happen any time soon since my plate is overflowing with projects and other more vital needs. Cool
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Signed up but it takes a while to get "allowed" to post. Highly understandable as I too volunteer to handle some of the "issues" with our own website www.sv2s.com and know full well it ain't easy. Rolling Eyes

I've just never seen this set up before and as I already mentioned, do not want or need them to open, it'd be a kool item to have. However, it's not going to happen any time soon since my plate is overflowing with projects and other more vital needs. Cool

pyrOman,

I visit the Earlybay site a lot. Those guys are the tops for posting pics of their work. They take bays that a lot of us wouldn't look at twice and bring them back.

I have seen somewhere a parts site that offered the non opening wing vent parts. I'll see if I can re locate it and get the info to you. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool! Cool
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking! Confused

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Non-vent vent windows!?! Reply with quote

aggri1 wrote:
I find them really useful on the Splitty (to 'ram' fresh air straight at the driver/pass', as Mosparx said) but my Bay hasn't got them, and I don't miss them at all - the fresh air vents on the Bay are pretty good. I have actually only seen the opening front vent windows on maybe one or two 'deluxe' Bays, they are almost nonexistent over here.

Cheers, A.

Rumour has it, that Australia specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2 Kombis, were also equipped with intra-duct, two-speed, electric ventilation-booster fans (aka "Ambulance Fans, in USA parlance), like these!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luxuryluke
Samba Bay Bus Driver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love some stationary 1/4 windows. Can't stand bees down my shirt since "bee handshakes" are fatal for me.
Posted on Early Bay. Lets hope some Brits want to trade fixed for openers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a friend in Europe. Its an M code to "have" vent wing windows.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rebel1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dime a dozen in oz every kombi had fixed vents
they dont leak at all, like opening vents
should be able to pick them up from an aus member
i know ive got some sitting in the shed
youll need upright and vent frame ,glass and seals and your as good as gold
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: