Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW and Volvo an unscientific observation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: VW and Volvo an unscientific observation Reply with quote

Being a former owner of several older Volvo's (740 and 760). I can't help but notice many a Volvo in member photos with their Vanagons....or Buses. I always liked my old Volvo's. Hearty and easy to work on. Does anybody else seem to see a similar relationship? ...or am I just full of it?
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad only owned Volvos and VW (bugs, buses and Westys). Wouldn't drive anything else.
BollingerRD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ain't nothin' but a V thang, baby!" I feel the same - I have only a Volvo and a VW (and a Vespa Very Happy ). Wouldn't trade them for anything else in the world.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I still had a 1990 Volvo 740 Turbowagon that I sold a few years ago. It was sweet. Had to sell it because I needed something with a higher towing capacity.

Still regret it. If I could find it, I'd buy it back, but the guy I sold it to has moved, and I can't find him.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the same connection to Toyota and Subaru too..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two cars: '90 vanagon and '95 volvo 850. One of the last years before ford started making volvos and the quality control slipped a bit. I don't know if I have a point to make here, but this post seems to invite me to ramble on about my cars so here goes.

I love 'em both. The volvo is a much "better" car in the conventional sense. Powerful, reliable, great handling and brakes, front and side airbags, and great stereo. (I bought a used 850 "GLT" with every option, including the premium stereo package.)

I think I appreciate that both cars do what they're designed to do. And both were built by companies that folllowed good design ideas rather than following trends.

The Vanagon I see as the last of the old VW lineage. Not just because it's rear engine, rear wheel drive. But instead because VW used to be a company that made simple, inexpensive cars that were functional, and looked a little goofy. But that was okay because driving one made a "anti-statement." It was like saying, "I don't buy a car to impress you, I drive this thing because it does what I want it to do." In the case of the vanagon, what I want it to do is carry seven people, or transport huge objects, or roadtrip with a fold out bed in the back, while getting 21 mpg, (to name a few things). The vanagon is so functional and useful that I can't believe so many people buy those tiny, cramped minivans.

The Volvo? Different from the van, but Volvo was another company that folllowed good design ideas rather than capitulating to fashion. The company's stated goal has been to make the safest car possible, and form followed function. For many years the Volvo design also looked a little boxy and goofy. (Maybe I just like goofy cars?)

I bought the volvo after test driving cars like the toyota camry and honda civic. Those cars felt entirely lacking in character. Okay, so maybe there is a subjective element here, where I think MY cars have more "character." But I have to say the civic feels like a cheap tin can with some plastic bits added, and the camry drives like grandpa's cadillac. When I test drove the volvo I was sold because I could feel the road and the car handled well. And the quality construction was evident throughout the car. Parts are expensive, but hey, the thing works great and feels good too.

Last edited by funagon on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's car is an '88 Volvo 740 wagon (which replaced her '89 740 sedan). Our Westy replaced my '89 740 wagon. Hmmm...

Erik D.

'82 diesel Westy, 1.9T AAZ, AAP 5 spd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's car is a 2001 V70 XC.
It was her choice.
To me, it's got no soul.
I'd probably be more attached to it if it were about fifteen years older.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wifes car is a 2001 jetta gl. POS. Talk about no soul. I have given up trying to have the dealership solve the forever on check engine light. Bunch of BS. If it ain't blinkin, according to the dealer, it is ok to drive. My thought is drive it until it is dead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, the squarer the better. the new Volvo's are not square enough to me #Sleep .....mabye that's part of the connection Think ....right angles!
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently own 3 vw's and 1 volvo.
There has been 2 more vw's and 2 more 240's in my past.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, same here. I have 3 Volvo's now and my Westy. They are all great cars! My wife wa involved in a collision last year when a dope in a civic lost control of his car in snowy conditions, started spinning, crossed the double yellow and snacked her head on. She and my 2 children walked away. The honda was toast. That's why I like Volvos, they saved my family!

Chris
Buffalo, NY
97 855 T5
98 S70 SE
98 V70 GLT
85 Westy Weekender
84 BMW 325e
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a volvo. Had a whole fleet of jetta's it seems. Only swedish car I have ever owned was a saab. And It was a painful relationship. Fun car to drive when it was runnning though.
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a 240, 850 and now a v70T.

The 240 was like my 58 splitty.....super easy and fun to work on. They were both so simple and straightforward. I miss both of them.

I also love the 5 cyl engines in the Volvo's. Just like the EVC, these 5 cylinders are strong, smooth and in compact enough that you can work on them.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
vwicked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And were do you think those 5 cylinder engines come from originally? Wink
nathan@el
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had three Volvo 240's--an 84 sedan, a 79 wagon, and now a 91 sedan. They have all been excellent cars, even the 79 which was totally abused by it's previous owners and I got it for 400 dollars. They are tough, tough cars. And as slow as an automatic 240 is (non turbo), it feels like a rocket compared to my air-cooled Vanagon. All of our Volvos had well over 200,000 miles--the wagon almost 300,000. You can't kill them, even if you try.

I also had an 89 Saab 900 for many years. It was one of the most reliable cars I had, contrary to other "saab stories" that I've heard. Personally, I think Saab is unfairly ridiculed. If you take care of them--like any car--they will last forever. Mine had 220,000 miles when I sold it and it was running great on the original engine and transmission (even the original clutch I believe). It never stranded me--not once--in the 7 years I had it. Very tough and sturdy car like the 240s. I would buy another one easily, as long as it had been reasonably maintained.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only owned one Volvo, a 265, that was a great car, so long as that Renault V6 held up (no one would repair the motors; just buyt a longblock and swap). But I do have a weakness for the Swedish iron. I've had 7 Saabs I can think of: a 95 (LOVED that car!), two 96's, two different 99's, a 900 4-door and a deluxe 3-door 900 Turbo. All bought from used to ancient, all very reliable adjusting for their age. The two 900's were two of the most dependable and efficient cars I've ever owned. I do like the Swedes' approach to design, avoiding trendy styling in favor of solid designs that provide safety and good performance and durability. The Saabs were the closest thing to an airplane without wings to be found on the road.

My van is only (only!) my fifth VW. Nowadays the driveway is shared with my and my wife's Subarus. Well-built, reliable, uninspiring cars. And my bomb-proof '83 Datsun long-bed 720 4x4.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until an ill-considered purchase of a 95 Subaru in 96, my parents had owned nothing but Volvos and VWs since 1960. Oh, wait! my father's first mid-life crisis involved a red Opal GT.

I inherited the 74 144 wagon and drove it to 235k miles on the original engine and tranny.

Owning a Volvo (particularly air conditioned Volvos) requires a certain dedication and a healthy bank account. Volvo owners are very dedicated to proving the notion that they are reliable and durable. They won't stop sinking money into them to prove the idea! Wink
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Volvo's cousin, Saab. My father owned a few VW's while I was growing up but...~1988 my mother came across a used 86 Saab 900 Turbo SPG and had to have it. It was a legendary car in my mind, big big turbo, major lag but boy would spin up. I turned 16 in 1989. It went forever. My father became a Saab man after that car. At the end of the 90's though, I'm afraid they suffered a bit, as Volvo did.

Volvo is like a cousin to VW to me...and Saab a cousin to Volvo. I guess that makes Saab 2nd cousins to VW...and Audi a younger sibling. Wink
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw an '83 242t flathood(?) for sale in So WI a couple weeks ago. Always liked those and if I didn't have 4 cars already...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: