Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3 year project bus - corvair engine pictures
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: 3 year project bus - corvair engine pictures Reply with quote

For those that are interested, here are some pictures of the engine conversion. Bill Cline (VW Bus Heaven) and I did the install in about 4 days. I know it's not stock VW, but it was an interesting swap and it's still air cooled. When it came down to deciding what engine to use I decided that a six cylinder engine not breathing hard and putting out 110hp, was better than a 4 cylinder engine that was really working and putting out less than 70hp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the extra displacement I couldn't resist the 2.7 emblem for the engine door. I used a Corvair dual exhaust setup with MagnaFlow mufflers.

The rear motor hanger was fabricated from a vanagon bar with the stock Corvair engine mount welded to it. The engine tin was fabbed from aluminum and cut to use a stock VW foam engine seal.

To the bottom right of the alternator you can see where Bill Cline fabricated copper tubing to run to the remote oil filter. The stock Corvair filter hangs off the rear of the engine and the engine door wouldn't have closed.

With the new motor mounts the engine hangs lower than the stock motor.

Here you can see the hot air exhausts from the engine on either side of the oil pan. With the motor running these blow hot air out like a hair dryer. I tried hooking up the stock Corvair heating into the stock VW plumbing, but the smell of oil was too unpleasant. Be happy you have VW "fresh air" heat. I don't use my bus in the winter so it doesn't matter to me.

A key part needed for this conversion are adapter plates to bolt the VW CV to the Corvair transaxle. Clark's Corvair provided these.

The transmission hanger was another key piece from Clark's. It bolts to the front of the PowerGlide Transmission and bolts to the VW frame with a VW front transmission mount from a 67.

Finally I used a stock Corvair dashboard mounted shifter to fit a slightly modified VW dash. I cut up a glove compartment door to create a single slot for the shifter. I moved the fresh air vent lever under the dash.

There you have it. The conversion parts to mate VW to Corvair cost around $300. Clark's may or may not have any more of the conversion kits still available, but I've seen used kits advertised on ebay. The engine rebuild was pricey but I have a completely new engine. The two speed powerglide is bullet proof. It motor fits the engine compartment like it belongs there. The engine sounds like a small block V8 when it idles. It's all good.....

Last edited by MikeHill on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrysmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus kicks ass Mike,but is it not a different one from the one in your avitar?Great color and the inside looks swank yet functional....great job!
barrysmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind,I found the other thread Embarassed awesome job!
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it I checked the specs of the 110 hp Corvair against Jake Raby's Camper Special, which was also a swap I had considered. The Corvair puts out 110hp @ 4400 rpm to the Camper Special's 98hp at about the same rpm. The torque of the Covair is 160 foot lbs @ 2600 rpm vs 128 foot lbs for the Camper Special. If Jake was closer to the NorthEast I might have gone with a Camper Special, but I'm pleased with the performance of the Corvair PowerGlide combo. It's really well matched for the bus.

Last edited by MikeHill on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:01 am; edited 2 times in total
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Jake Raby?

I've thought of doing the corvair conversion myself since I have access to all the corvair parts I could ever need... but decided to stick strictly vw since the parts seem more readily available... of course I had wanted to use the Quad carb set up out of our corsa Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing that and the crazy bent belt and the backwards rotation of the engine steered me away... perhaps I'll put that set up in a dune buggy?

Anyhow, looks great!
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! And good for you for using the Corvair tranny, thou I would prefer a 4 speed. I modified a Corsa turbo engine that put out gobs of power and put it in my custom Ghia conv. Wow! It had an old swing axel so I could swap the ring gear. I'd like a corvair in my bus cept its hard to find parts now. Where did you find new pistons and cyls The crank and rods can be regound but where did you get the bearings. The heads are problematic also. Have you read "How to Hotrod Your Corvair Engine"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words... Holy Crap!

Incredible job, inside and out.
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GusC2it wrote:
I'd like a corvair in my bus cept its hard to find parts now. Where did you find new pistons and cyls The crank and rods can be regound but where did you get the bearings. The heads are problematic also.

Clark's Corvair in Western MA has everything either new or used. There were millions of the Corvairs produced and there wasn't anything I couldn't find at Clarks. GM was smart in that they used stuff they already had on the shelf when they built the Corvair. More of an issue might be finding someone who knows how to work on the Corvair engine. There seems to be a tight Corvair community here in the Northeast so that doesn't seem to be a problem here.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats your mpg?
I had a 2.4L 130hp 911 engine laying around but decided to stay with the VW as I need heat and kept it simple with the Ljet.

95hp is all I need to bomb around I decided as I have the 914 to go fast in.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
whats your mpg?

The motor has about 3500 miles since the rebuild. Best mpg to date is 18.5 but it seems to be steadily getting better now that the it's getting broken in. My problem is that it's tough to keep my foot off the gas....
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorious! Shocked

Rob

Last edited by Hippie on Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
At least you kept it air cooled!
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it! It looks to be a very professional installation. I do however have a few questions;

- Any concerns with the decrease in clearance? How much did you lose?
- I noticed that the tail pipes come out the back vs. the sides, concerns re fumes being sucked in?
- Not sure if anybody can answer this question or not however I am curious to know which install is the simplest, a Porsche 6 cyl or a Corvair 6 cyl?

Really nice bus! I am jealous!

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJMazier wrote:

I really like it! It looks to be a very professional installation. I do however have a few questions;
Any concerns with the decrease in clearance? How much did you lose?!

It might be 2 inches lower, but the 16" wheels bring it up a little. I still have more clearance than in my Jeep cherokee.

CJMazier wrote:

I noticed that the tail pipes come out the back vs. the sides, concerns re fumes being sucked in??!

I have all new seals in the bus all around, but to be honest I never thought about fumes. I'll drive fast...

CJMazier wrote:
Not sure if anybody can answer this question or not however I am curious to know which install is the simplest, a Porsche 6 cyl or a Corvair 6 cyl?

The Corvair fit the space without modifcation (i.e. stock rear deck height).
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame they quit making those cars/engines because of negitive press. I used to love them, and I rebuilt a few of those engines. For a VW/Porsche machanic they were no problem, but the Chevy machanics at the dealerships hated them!!! Crying or Very sad
mark_j_quinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: VW Logo Reply with quote

Where did you find the VW Logo to fit in the dash?

Mark
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause

i absolutely love it. i know where a 69 is sitting with the corvair motor already in it and i think i might just have to buy it now. very beautiful indeed.

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeHill wrote:
My problem is that it's tough to keep my foot off the gas....

That has always been a human problem! Laughing

Though I wouldn't do it myself, yours is definitely a first class conversion right there! Razz
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a clean conversion. Nice job.

JMazier wrote:
- I noticed that the tail pipes come out the back vs. the sides, concerns re fumes being sucked in?

Looks like the tail pipes are just bolt on with those u-bolt exhaust dealies. Easy enough to get some tailpipes on there that curve out and under the corners of the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful bus. I think i saw your bus at nauset beach one day a few years ago.. I reember because I had just sold my bus and seeing yours was like seeing an old girlfriend. i got a little emotional Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: