Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Little-known & rare campervan conversions around the Wor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Little-known & rare campervan conversions around the Wor Reply with quote

The following, are the scanned pictures and transcribed text, from an old advertising brochure, reproduced in an old issue of the British VW Type 2 Owners' Club magazine (i.e. Transporter Talk, Issue 74, December 2004, pp9~12), of the Oxley Coachcraft, Volkswagen Series, Airflow Hightop & Rheinlander models, dating from circa 1971.

My own observations and comments, are appended in red text.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Oxley Coachcraft, Craven Street, Holderness Road, Hull, Yorkshire, England.

Tel. 0482 20072 {obsolete telephone number!)

Oxley Coach Craft, Airflow Hightop & Rheinlander

Judging from the low-level, front direction indicators, the shape of the engine-compartment, air-intake grille and the solid form of the road-wheels with domed hub caps, the Airflow Hightop on the left, is based upon a 1968~70 VW 1600 Type 2.

Similarly, the low-level, front direction indicators, the shape of the engine-compartment, air-intake grille and the perforated-form of the road-wheels with low-profile hub caps, the Rheinlander on the right, is based upon a 1971 VW 1600 Type 2.

In common with most if not all British & European specification, 1971 VW 1600 Type 2s, with front disc brakes, these are unlikely to be equpped with brake vacuum-servo assistance (i.e. brake booster in USA parlance), so drivers need to have a strong right leg or use both legs for emergency braking!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The World at your Fingertips...

Yes, the whole world is yours with the Oxley range of Volkswagen Motor Caravans. Enjoy carefree touring at home and abroad, go where you like when you like, home comfort is with you everywhere, feel free and independent.

Years of experience in the caravan and coachbuilding industry and study of the Volkswagen has enabled us to design two superb motor caravans which are stylish in exterior appearance and provide full facilities for pleasurable and comfortable living.

The graceful Airflow H.T. is expertly designed for a low, pleasing appearance and to diminish and disperse wind resistance normally experienced by high top vehicles.

The attractive Rheinlander low-line model with its big ultra-quick retractable roof gives a sleek appearance when closed and can be easily raised when headroom is needed.

No expense has been spared in producing these two fine models, all materials used are of the finest quality, the interior fittings and equipment are to a high specification normally classed as extra. All windows are aluminium framed and louvred for adequate ventilation. Upholstery is of the best quality nylon mixture material, quilted and rolled-edged for comfort. The walls and floors are lined with washable vinyl and insulated. The furniture is covered in simulated beige antelope hide and all the tops and surfaces are in hard-wearing teak laminate with white reverses.

The combination of teak, gold upholstery and beige leather gives an air of lightness grace and quality synonymous with the name of Oxley. We are sure you will be pleased to become the proud owner of one of these suberb luxury motor caravans – as we are to present them.

Note the relatively unsafe location in the engine compartment, of the Camping Gaz or Calor Gas, refillable LPG butane or propane cylinders; a practice which for a while, was followed by some other British campervan converters. Provision of a gas-point connection for a gas fire, is an unusual feature, which I have not come across on any other VW Type 2 campervan.

Note also, the Rheinlander's rear location of the spare wheel, which seems to be positioned horizontally, above the engine deck, adjacent to a storage drawer, beneath a child's bed.

Both the Airflow Hightop and the Rheinlander, are equipped with a cooking stove, with twin-burner & grill. Grills have always been popular in British campervans and trailer caravans, but do not seem to carry favour in Europe, which is perhaps the reason why Westfalia campervans, lack this useful facility.

SPECIFICATION

Oxley Motor Caravans are manufactured of the best quality materials and fittings.

The deep UPHOLSTERY is of lightweight density foam covered in gold coloured quilted Nylon mixture material. CUSHIONS are fully shaped with built up rolled enges for comfortable seating. Matching CURTAINS are on runners concealed by teak pelmets.

FURNITURE is covered in beige simulated Antelope hide, all white laminate reverses. SINK and DRAINER are of polished stainless steel and fitted with a FOOT PUMP and TUCK AWAY FAUCET.

The TWO RING BURNER and GRILL is of modern design in white easy clean Vitreous Enamel. The GRILL RECESS is lined with easy to wipe Acrylic Aluminium with rounded corners. WALLS, ROOF & FLOOR arecovered with washable Vinyl and INSULATED where necessary.

WINDOWS are Aluminium framed and Ventilated by louvres. GAS CONTAINER is fitted in the rear engine compartment and piped to the cooker and GAS POINT.

Other items include LARGE CAPACITY COOL BOX, WATER CARRIERS, 2 FLUORESCENT LIGHTS, SHAVER POINT, CROCKERY HOLDERS, WARDROBE, ABUNDANT STORAGE COMPARTMENTS. SLEEPS 5/6 People.

OPTIONAL EXTRAS: Refrigerator, Radio, Cab Bunk, Cab Centre Seat, Side Awning, etc.

For further details see price list or Vehicle Manufacturers Specification. Vehicles can be supplied without roofs or with special layouts including Continental arrangements.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Oxley Coach Craft, Airflow Hightop

This view shows the suberb styling and quality of the Airflow H.T. The low-line high top gives adequate headroom, with an interior insulated headlining of high quality washable material. The long louvred transom windows in the roof give extra lighting and ventilation.

Large locker space is provided at each end for luggage and other items. Abundant storage space is to be found beneath the bunks, in the shelved wardrobe, the attractive Welsh dresser day seat and in the large kitchen unit.

This suberb unit is unsurpassable, incorporating an extra large coolbox, deep storage compartment with easy access for water containers, large durable stainless steel sink, easy clean 2-ring burner and grill and an automatic supply of water by means of a foot pump or optional electric pump.

In a second, with minimum effort, the rear dineete seat immediately transfers to a large double bed, leaving adequate floor space for undressing and preparing the evening or morning meal. Additional seating whilst travelling or dining is provided at the forward end of the lounge, seating 4 to 5 people at the dining table.

Sleeping facilities are one double bed, two large sized single bunks and one large cab bunk, if required. Two attractive fluorescent lights give ample lighting and a 12V shaver point is included. A Gas Fire may be used from the gas point provided.

View of dining arrangement for 4 or 5 people, incorporating the removable additional passenger seat and cushioned pull out cabinet seat. The whole converts to a double bed.

The relative positition of the galley (i.e. cooking stove, sink & draining board, plus the storage cupboards beneath), dining table and dinette seats seems somewhat awkward. I find it difficult to image how one would effectively organise the sequence of food preparation & cooking, the serving-up of food and the repostioning of the seating & table. Once the dining table is erected, it restricts access to the cupboard, plus the sink & draining board.

View of the well equipped kitchen unit, comprising cooking and washing facilities, deep cabinet for water containers, cool cabinet and large cupboard space.

View of large deep coolbox in the Airflow Hightop showing drainage outlet and adjoining deep water storage compartment. Drop down lids provide good working surfaces.

Oxley Coach Craft, Rheinlander

This view shows the clean cut lines of the Rheinlander, with dinette converting to a central double bed and allowing for a child's large bed above the rear engine, this portion being raised to allow storage facilities beneath for the spare wheel and separate deep drawer for linen etc.

adequate dining area is available for 4 to 5 people, with forward dinette seat being reversible for additional seating when travelling. Ample hanging space for clothes is provided in the rear wardrobe and large volume storage space is available in the roof locker, below the dinette seats and in the split kitchen unit, one part of which contains a modern stailess steel sink, knife drawer and storage cupboard also incorporating easy access container for two water carriers.

Water is supplied by means of a foot pump. The other part, to the left of the entrance has a fold-away, modern, easy-clean 2-ring burner and grill with storage space in lower cupboard for cooking utensils, etc.

Sleeping is provided for 5 to 6 people with one double bed, one child's bed, two large roof bunks and optional cab bunk. The large quick-action roof is fully lined and ventilated by a central opening roof-light. Lighting is by two modern fluorescent lights and a 12V shaver point is included. A gas fire may be used from the gas point fitted. A large capacity coolbox for provisions is fitted beneath the rear dinette seat.

Interior view of lounge showing divided kitchen and dining facilities.

View of large capacity coolbox beneath dinette seat, also drawer beneath child's bed over engine compartment.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:27 am; edited 11 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice! are there any living, breathing ones out there today?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigyellowdogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkswagen Graduate School
VDUB 600
"A History of the Volkswagen Bus and Its Numerous Variations"
Professor Nigel Skeet

i love your posts. you find the neatest stuff.
thanks for sharing!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Little-known & rare campervan conversions around the Wor Reply with quote

bigyellowdogs wrote:
VDUB 600
Professor Nigel Skeet

thanks for sharing!

bigyellowdogs wrote:
VDUB 600
Professor Nigel Skeet

thanks for sharing!

I have never knowingly seen one of these Oxley Coachcraft conversions and only learned of them when the brochure was reproduced in Transporter Talk. There might be a reference to them in David Eccles' relatively recent book as follows, but I do not posses a copy:

David Eccles, "VW Camper: The Inside Story: A Guide to the Various Camping Conversions and Interior Layouts used for VW Campers 1951~2005", Crowood Press, 2005, ISBN 186 126 7630.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Danish DIY Fixbo furniture & equipment conversion kits Reply with quote

Here are some pictures and text, which I scanned and transcribed from a magazine article (Sven Stigø, "Her er vejen til det selvekørende feriehus, Camping, May 1982, pp~54, Danish Camping Union), which I found at a campsite outside Friedrichshavn, Denmark, during my Scandinavian, summer touring holiday, in 1982.

As far as I have been able to determine, it discusses the retro-fitment and financial cost of campervan furniture & equipment kits, for the 1968~79 or 1973~79 VW Type 2, manufactured by a company called Fixbo, which might or might not be Danish.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of hole-punching the pages, so some of the word-letters have been obliterated. Where it has been impossible for me to deduce the identity of the missing letter or letters, I have substituted a green-coloured # symbol.

Note that this article quotes example prices of 5.000 & 10.000 kroner, which in English-speaking countries, would be written as 5,000~10,000 kroner, meaning five thousand to ten thousand kroner.

The full stop " . " is being used in the same manner, as English-speaking countries use the comma " , ", to partition large numbers, greater than 999, into three-digit groups. In general, European countries use the comma, " , ", to mean a decimal point, so be wary of confusion!

My own comments and observations in English, I have appended in red text.

Her er vejen til det selvkørende feriehus

Af Sven Stigø

Som lovet i sidste nummer af Camping, fortæller vi her, hvordan man som a#giftsplaget dansk campist billigst har mulighed for at anskaffe en motoriseteret campingvogn. Det kan lade sig gøre, og så har man både en hverdagsbil og et rullende feriehjem på de samme 4 hjul. Man gør som følger:

Man tager ... sådan indledes de gamle madopskrifter. man tager en ældre VW Transporter. Eller rettere. Man tager rundt hos bilforhandlerne for at vælge en gammel VW Transporter, en VW-bus eller måske enældre taxi.

MISSING PICTURE, OF RIGHT-SIDE VIEW, OF 1973 VW TYPE 2 PANEL VAN

(1) en årgang 1973 kan afængig af moterens kilometeral og karosseriets stand købes for 5.000~10.000 knoner + moms. Koster den de 10.000 knoner, skulle den helst fra forhandler leveres synet. Alle varevogne er på gule plader og kan ikke umiddelbart benyttes til camping.

Man må ikke montere noget som helst, der kan minde om eller fungere som sidde- eller soveplads i en varevogn på gule plader. For at kunne benytte varerummet til ophold under og efter kørslen, skal bilen omregistreres på hvide plader.

MISSING PICTURE OF, FRONT & LEFT-SIDE OBLIQUE VIEW, OF 1973 VW TYPE 2 PANEL VAN, ON VEHICLE HOIST, WITH ALL WHEELS OFF.

(2) Men først skal vognen gøres klar til syn ved Bilinspektionen. Karosseriet skal gås efter, og nødvendigt pladearbejde udføres. Det gælder naturligvis især alle de bærende knostruktioner. Arbejdet kan på værksted godt løbe op i 10.000 kroner + moms. Styretøj, bremserog lygter skal yderligere være i orden.

Visiting the Danish MOT centre, with the 1973 VW Type 2 Panel Van, for a road worthiness test and certification. I am not sure about the strictness of this test, but it is probably at least as strict as the British MOT. It's debatable how many North American registered vehicles of this vintage, would be able to pass these British & Northern European road worthiness tests; especially the German TUV!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=372163

(3) Når det er gjort, stiller man til syn, efter forlods at have bestilt tid og betalt 180 kroner i stempelmærker. Finder Bilinspektionen kun mindre fejl, kan man stille op til check af det, der skelle rettes.

(4) Når bilen er synet, fremstilles den for Toldvæsnet til omregistrering. Omregistreringen fra gule til hvide plader beregnes af Toldvæsnet efter motorens kilomterstand og karosseriets stand. Afgiften kan svinge meget stærkt. For en bil, VW transporter årgang 1973 kan det blive mellem 8.000~11.000 kroner, dog alt inklusive.

View through the roof aperture, showing the dinette seats and storage cabinet, plus the stainless steel, combination two-burner cooker, sink unit & draining board.

It's a very large roof aperture, which would necessitate the removal of one of the roof cross braces and hence weaken the vehicle's structural integrity, especially with regard to roll-over incidents.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=372162

(5) Når bilen har fået hvide plader, kan man med sindsro indsætte det tilbehør, der gør den egnet som auto-camper. Der kan købes selvmonteringssæt, hvor de fingernemme sparer megen arbejdsløn, eller man leverer vognen til et specialfirma. Først bør bilen dog males. Pris 3.500~4.000 kroner + moms.

Udgiften til tilbehøret: Sovearrangement, køkkensektion, eventuelt hævetag med ekstra sovepladser, afhænger helt af, hvor megen luksus man fordrer. Man kan klare sig med udstyr for få tusinde, men det realistiske er vel, at man må indstille sig på mellem 15.000 og 30.000 kroner. Her bør man få brochurer og prislister fra firmaer, som leverer dette udstyr og så lade pengepungen afgøre udstyrets omfang.

Kun de mest rutinerede hobbyfolk kan klare dette monteringsarbejde tilfredsstillende.

Drejer det sig om at få hævetag og ståhøjde i bilen, skal arbejnet udføres professionelt, fordi man ikke uden videre må ændre på bilens grundkonstruktion af hensyn til færdelssikkerheden.

(6) Her har firmaet Fixbo i Møgeltønder skåret VW-Transporter tag op. I vognbunden ligger en svær træplade, boltet til karosseriet, og i selve taget er indstøbt træforstærkninger, der gør vognen tilstrækkelig vridningsstabil. Denne konstruktion er skriftligt godkendt af Volkswagenwerk i Vesttyskland.

(7) Før montage af automøblerne, er vognen isoleret med plastskum på alle sider og beklædt med en mahogni-fineret plade. Så sættes gulvtæppe og møbler på plads.

Bordet kan kures frem og tilbage i sin skinne og give arbejdplads. Det løftes nemt bort – og med ekstra betaling kan det forsynes med flere støtteben, så det kan være fritstående udenbils. DEt samme gælder de to sofasæder.

Håndvasken og køkken- og gasbord er i rustfrit stål. Vasken har afløb til det fri. Enten er vandtilførslen eldrevet (vandtank nederst i skab), eller man vælger en vandtank på bilens tag over førerrummet så vandet løber ned af sig selv, når der åbnes.

Forreste skab, nærmest køkkenbordet, har dybde til vognbunden, så kjoler kan hænge frit på bøjle. Det andet når ned til dækpladen over motorummet. Her er tre rum ialt. Ovenover en hylde med slingrekant.

Jalousiruden i siden med myggenet er også ekstra, og koster ca. 2.000 kroner + 200 kroner i montering – det hele plus moms.

Interior view of the furniture, showing the dinette seats, storage cabinet, double louvre windows and dining table, plus the stainless steel, combination two-burner cooker, sink unit & draining board.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=372161

(8) Et vippetag med teltdug og ventilattionsvindue i gavlen koster ca. 7.000 kroner + moms. Her er der soveplads til 2 voksne. Madrasser og betræk indgår i prisen.

Rear-hinged, wedge-shaped, elevating roof

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=372160

Note that both of these campervan conversions, using the retro-fitted Fixbo campervan furniture & equipment kits, are based upon the 1968~79 VW Type 2 Panel Van and that side windows, rearward of the sliding door, have not been retro-fitted to either side of the vehicles.

Elevating roof cum roof tent

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=372159

Although this type of elevating roof cum roof tent, would provide more sleeping accommodation, I am dubious about the support mechanism, requiring two vertical poles, which could be damaged or dislodged, by people blundering about a campsite, in the darkness and/or in a drunken state.

(9) Et foldetag, der giver »veranda« koster 10.000 kroner + moms, og leveres med madrasser og betræk til soveplads for 4 voksne.

Ønsker man kun udført hævetag på sin bil, beregner eksempelvis Fixbo sig ekstra 1.000 kroner + moms.

Den viste bil, VW transporter årgang 1973 kan fra Fixbo leveres fiks og færdig for 55.000 kroner. Denne pris er inklusive moms og indbefatter følgende udstyr: Valgfrit hævetag til enten 2 eller 4 voksne med madrasser. Køkkensektion med stålvask, elpumpe, bord og sofasæder til at opstille i det fri, 2 sovepladser i nederste kabi### jalousirude med myggenet og eldrevet køeskab med ekstra akkumulator.

Alle biler købt færdige ved Fixbo i Møgeltønder leveres standard med denne omfattende montering. Der er altså penge at spare ved købe en færdig vogn – blandt andet tjenes alene mere end 3.000 kroner, hvis man ønsker sig et vippetag til 4 personers soveplads- og køleskabet koster normalt 3.600 kroner i indkøb, hvis man selv anskaffer det.

Man kan herefter overveje, hvor meget af det nævnte arbejde, man (eller venner) er i stand til at gø selv, og dermed finde frem til, hvor meget der kan spares. der et blot enn ting, man skal vide. Hvis arbejdet ikke er udført med tilstrækkelig rutine og finish, går det ud over brugtvognsprisen, den dag man vil sælge.

Note the roof tent, similar to that of the Fixbo conversion, but this appears to be supported, without recourse to the use of vertical poles, reaching to the ground outside the vehicle.

A couple of years ago, David Eccles, the editor of Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine, sent be the above picture, which is said to relate to another Danish manufacturer of campervan furniture & equipment kits, for the 1968~79 VW Type 2.

I have also asked in the following link, in International Forum of The Samba, whether anyone can sumarise (i.e. translate into English!) the important information content of the article and give any further infornation about Fixbo and POBA, plus their campervan products.

Fixbo & POBA: Danish 1968~79 VW Type 2 campervan kits?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2413257&highlight=#2413257

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Little-known & rare campervan conversions around the Wor Reply with quote

for those to whom it is of interest, I have appended additional transcribed text, plus further personal observations and comments, in relation to the British Oxley Coachcraft campervans, plus the Danish Fixbo and POBA, campervan furniture & equipment kits.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nigel you wouldn't happen to have any information on Contempo campers out of California would you?

current 1979 fiat spider, 72 Contempo Hightop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Little-known & rare campervan conversions around the Wor Reply with quote

GostaBerling wrote:
Hey Nigel you wouldn't happen to have any information on Contempo campers out of California would you?

I must confess, that your question, is the first I have heard of Contempo campers. There were probably hundreds of small coachbuilders around the World, who converted just a small number of 1968~78 VW Type 2s into campervans for local sale or who manufactured & sold, DIY campervan furniture kits & equipment.

You might like to consult the following book, or make direct contact with David Eccles, through Jazz Publishing, who publish the Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine, of which he is the editor.

David Eccles, "VW Camper: The Inside Story: A Guide to the Various Camping Conversions and Interior Layouts used for VW Campers 1951~2005", Crowood Press, 2005, ISBN 186 126 7630.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Nigel, I will look into that book.

The only written info I've seen about them was an article that samba member posted up comparing the Sundial, Adventurewagen, and the Contempo. Unfortunately, he didn't scan in the review of the Contempo.

current 1979 fiat spider, 72 Contempo Hightop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Little-known & rare campervan conversions around the Wor Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
GostaBerling wrote:

I must confess, that your question, is the first I have heard of Contempo campers. There were probably hundreds of small coachbuilders around the World, who converted just a small number of 1968~78 VW Type 2s into campervans for local sale or who manufactured & sold, DIY campervan furniture kits & equipment.

You might like to consult the following book, or make direct contact with David Eccles, through Jazz Publishing, who publish the Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine, of which he is the editor.

David Eccles, "VW Camper: The Inside Story: A Guide to the Various Camping Conversions and Interior Layouts used for VW Campers 1951~2005", Crowood Press, 2005, ISBN 186 126 7630.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

GostaBerling wrote:
Thanks for the info Nigel, I will look into that book.

The only written info I've seen about them was an article that samba member posted up comparing the Sundial, Adventurewagen, and the Contempo. Unfortunately, he didn't scan in the review of the Contempo.

Since my last post, I've discovered that the Colchester branch of the Essex County public library, holds a copy of David Eccles' "VW Camper: The Inside Story" book, which is out on loan until the end of August, but I have submitted a request to borrow it, when it becomes available.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Little-known & rare campervan conversions around the Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
GostaBerling wrote:

I must confess, that your question, is the first I have heard of Contempo campers. There were probably hundreds of small coachbuilders around the World, who converted just a small number of 1968~78 VW Type 2s into campervans for local sale or who manufactured & sold, DIY campervan furniture kits & equipment.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Through my local public library, I was recently managed to borrow a copy of the aforementioned book, but I could not find any mention of Contempo campers, in California or anywhere else.

I recently learned from my magazine (News & Products, Volkswagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 32, November 2007, page 13) that yet another book about VW campervans, has recently been published:

Richard Coping, "Volkswagen Camper: Forty Years of Freedom: An A to Z of Popular Campervan Conversions", Veloce Publishing, 2007.

This new book, which is described as an archive of original sales brochures of popular campervan conversions, with further background information, might contain some information about Contempo campers, but I am not optimistic.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Little-known & rare campervan conversions around the Wor Reply with quote

1972 Poba Auto Camper, brochures were available in several languages, including English and German.

This is a transcription of the text (I needed a powerful magnifying lens to read it!), from one Poba brochure in German, reproduced in miniature, in David Eccles' book, which read as follows:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

POBA Auto-Camper

– Ihr Heim auf Rädern –

MISSING PICTURE, SHOWING SIDE VIEW OF VEHICLE, WITH SLIDING DOOR OPEN AND ELEVATING ROOF RAISED

POBA Auto-Camper mit Schlafgelegenheit für 4 Erwachsene und 2 Kinder

Mit Poba Auto-Möbeln in ihrem Wagen haben Sie einem Auto-Camper für längere Reisen und Wochenenderausflüge in ganzen Jahr.

Keine Geschwindigkeitsgrenzung - keine teuren Hotelzimmer mehr - keine überfüllten Campingplatze - ob Wald oder Strand - Jagd oder Angelsport - schlechete Straßen kein Hindernis - Sie selbst bestimmen wohin und wann Sie fahren wollen, den in ihrem neuen Poba Auto-Camper können Sie zu jeder Zeit bequem wohnen.

Poba Auto-Möbel

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Poba Campette mit oder ohne Durchgang im Dach des Autos

Die Poba Campette ist ein kombinieter Gepäckträger mit Dachzelt. Dadurch haben Sie noch für weitere 2 Erwachsnene oder 3 Kinder Schlafgelegenheit.

Nach Wunsch konnen Sie den Eingand zur Campette von innen haben, ansonster ist sie von außen zu benutzen. Die Campette kann auch als Boot aus Glasfiber geliefert werden

MISSING PICTURE, SHOWING OBLIQUE VIEW OF VEHICLE, WITH ELEVATING ROOF RAISED, ROOF-PLATFORM EXTENSION WITH TENT-CLOTH COVER AND SURROUNDING FAMILY

Unsere verschiedenen Zeltmodelle können zusammen mit der Campette oder dem Auto benutzt wedern. Möchte man einmal schnell im Auto wegfahren, kann die Kombination freisteherd zurückbleiben.

MISSING THREE MINIATURE PICTURES OF FREE-STANDING ANNEXE TENT & CAMPERVAN, WITH & WITHOUT RAISED ELEVATING ROOF

Neuer Prospekt über Poba Campette und übrige Zeltmodelle medio Dezember.

Poba: Dänisch Design und Konstruktion von Poul Bader

Poba Auto-Møbler
Peter Bangsvej 122
DK-2000 Københafn F
Telf.: 01-71 14 02
Tel.adr.: Pobacamper

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Danish 1968~79 VW Type 2, Fixbo campervan article Reply with quote

Her er vejen til det selvkørende feriehus

Af Sven Stigø

Translation from Danish to English, by Henrik Larsen, Denmark
English Translation Edited & Revised by Nigel A. Skeet, Great Britain

It should be noted that the prices are quoted in Danish Kronor, for early 1982, which is about 25½ years ago. I have yet to discover the typical currency exchange rates for 1982, but at present (i.e. September 2008), the approximate exchange rates are: £1•00 Sterling = US$1•75 = 9•00 DKr. This means that 1,000 DKr is approximately equivalent to £110 Sterling or US$200.

Original article in Danish, by Sven Stigø

Som lovet i sidste nummer af Camping, fortæller vi her, hvordan man som a#giftsplaget dansk campist billigst har mulighed for at anskaffe en motoriseteret campingvogn. Det kan lade sig gøre, og så har man både en hverdagsbil og et rullende feriehjem på de samme 4 hjul. Man gør som følger:

Man tager ... sådan indledes de gamle madopskrifter. man tager en ældre VW Transporter. Eller rettere. Man tager rundt hos bilforhandlerne for at vælge en gammel VW Transporter, en VW-bus eller måske enældre taxi.

As promised in the last number of Camping, we are now explaining how a Danish camper, has the possibility to have a cheap motorized mobile home. It is possible, and at the same time you also have your self a daily driver. What you need to do is visiting a car dealer with the purpose of buying an older VW Transporter, VW bus or maybe an old taxi.

As promised in the last issue of Camping (i.e. magazine of the Danish Camping Union - presumably referring to the preceding month of April 1982), we will now explain how a Danish camper, can have a cheap motorcaravan or campervan. It is possible for this to serve as both a campervan and a daily driver (i.e. a vehicle for daily use). One first needs to visit a second-hand car dealer to buy an old-model VW delivery van (i.e. panel van, in USA parlance), VW minibus or maybe an old minibus-taxi.

MISSING PICTURE, OF RIGHT-SIDE VIEW, OF 1973 VW TYPE 2 PANEL VAN

Original article in Danish, by Sven Stigø

(1) en årgang 1973 kan afængig af moterens kilometeral og karosseriets stand købes for 5.000~10.000 knoner + moms. Koster den de 10.000 knoner, skulle den helst fra forhandler leveres synet. Alle varevogne er på gule plader og kan ikke umiddelbart benyttes til camping.

Man må ikke montere noget som helst, der kan minde om eller fungere som sidde- eller soveplads i en varevogn på gule plader. For at kunne benytte varerummet til ophold under og efter kørslen, skal bilen omregistreres på hvide plader.

(1) One year model from 1973 depending on the condition, can be bought for around 5 - 10.000 kronor. Plus tax. Beware of the fact that you can’t use a vehicle on yellow license plates as they are not fully taxed which do not allow people to be sitting in the back.

(1) A 1973 model-year VW Type 2 vehicle, can be bought for around 5,000 to 10,000 kronor, plus tax; depending on the condition. Beware that a vehicle with yellow license plates is not fully taxed and hence may not be used to carry people sitting in the back, rearward of the cab.

MISSING PICTURE OF, FRONT & LEFT-SIDE OBLIQUE VIEW, OF 1973 VW TYPE 2 PANEL VAN, ON VEHICLE HOIST, WITH ALL WHEELS OFF.

Original article in Danish, by Sven Stigø, Denmark

(2) Men først skal vognen gøres klar til syn ved Bilinspektionen. Karosseriet skal gås efter, og nødvendigt pladearbejde udføres. Det gælder naturligvis især alle de bærende knostruktioner. Arbejdet kan på værksted godt løbe op i 10.000 kroner + moms. Styretøj, bremserog lygter skal yderligere være i orden.

(2) First of all the car needs to be ready for Danish MOT (Statens Bilinspektion). This means that the vehicle among a lot of things has to be fully checked for corrosion on the chassis, as well as the steering and brakes has to be fully checked.

(2) First of all the vehicle needs to be prepared for the "Statens Bilinspektion" (Danish road-worthiness test, similar to the British MOT or German TUV). This means, that in addition to many other things, the vehicle must be properly checked for corrosion of the chassis, plus the correct function of the steering and brakes.

Nigel Skeet's personal note:

I am not sure about the strictness of the Danish road-worthiness test, but it is probably at least as strict as the British MOT. It's debatable how many North American registered vehicles of this vintage, would be able to pass these British & Northern European road worthiness tests; especially the German TUV!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=372163

1973 VW Type 2 Panel Van, waiting outside the Statens Bilinspektion test centre

(3) Når det er gjort, stiller man til syn, efter forlods at have bestilt tid og betalt 180 kroner i stempelmærker. Finder Bilinspektionen kun mindre fejl, kan man stille op til check af det, der skelle rettes.

(3) When this is done you can take your vehicle to MOT (Danish carinspection) paying 180 kronor. Do they find any defects on your vehicle, you would need to have this done.

(3) When this is done, one can take one's vehicle to the "Statens Bilinspektion", for which the test fee is 180 kronor (i.e. at 1982 prices!). If they find any defects on the vehicle, one would need to have these rectified, before it is retested.

(4) Når bilen er synet, fremstilles den for Toldvæsnet til omregistrering. Omregistreringen fra gule til hvide plader beregnes af Toldvæsnet efter motorens kilomterstand og karosseriets stand. Afgiften kan svinge meget stærkt. For en bil, VW transporter årgang 1973 kan det blive mellem 8.000~11.000 kroner, dog alt inklusive.

(4) If you have the vehicle on yellow license plates (not fully taxed) you must have it registered as a vehicle allowing passengers to be in the back.(white license plates and taxed fully paid ) which at the same time allows us to build it as a camper. The tax you need to pay on a 1973 vw transporter would be around 8.000 - 11.000 kronor.

(4) If the vehicle is licenced as a commercial-vehicle, with yellow license plates, indicating reduced tax liability, one must first have it reregistered as a passenger carrying vehicle (in which passengers may be carried, rearward of the cab), having white license plates, indicating full tax liability, which then permits it to be converted into a campervan. The tax you need to pay on a 1973 VW Transporter would be around 8,000 to 11,000 kronor (i.e. at 1982 prices!).

Nigel Skeet's personal note:

There are a variety of taxation systems applicable to vehicles in different countries. In some countries, certain categories of vehicles were exempt from payment of one-off taxes, such as Purchase Tax, Car Tax, VAT (i.e. Value Added Tax) or Sales Tax, etc., when purchased new. If the purpose or function of the vehicle is changed to one for which there was or is some one-off tax liability, then in some countries, this must be payed before the new function commences. In Great Britain, this is certainly the case for old panel vans, which later have side windows retro-fitted, rearward of the cab.

There are also periodic taxes, usually each year, the amount of which, depends upon engine capacity and/or the purpose for which a vehicle is used, such as: private vehicles used by the owner, friends & family; commercial vehicles used to carry goods, public-service vehicles used to carry several fare-paying passengers; and other related categories.

(5) Når bilen har fået hvide plader, kan man med sindsro indsætte det tilbehør, der gør den egnet som auto-camper. Der kan købes selvmonteringssæt, hvor de fingernemme sparer megen arbejdsløn, eller man leverer vognen til et specialfirma. Først bør bilen dog males. Pris 3.500~4.000 kroner + moms.

Udgiften til tilbehøret: Sovearrangement, køkkensektion, eventuelt hævetag med ekstra sovepladser, afhænger helt af, hvor megen luksus man fordrer. Man kan klare sig med udstyr for få tusinde, men det realistiske er vel, at man må indstille sig på mellem 15.000 og 30.000 kroner. Her bør man få brochurer og prislister fra firmaer, som leverer dette udstyr og så lade pengepungen afgøre udstyrets omfang.

Kun de mest rutinerede hobbyfolk kan klare dette monteringsarbejde tilfredsstillende. Drejer det sig om at få hævetag og ståhøjde i bilen, skal arbejnet udføres professionelt, fordi man ikke uden videre må ændre på bilens grundkonstruktion af hensyn til færdelssikkerheden.

(5) When the vehicle fully taxed it’s now possible with peace in mind, to put in that interior you want which will make it a camper as well. There is two ways of transforming your vw transporter into a camper. Either you buy the camping interior your self which means that you have to assemble it on your own, or you chose a special company to do it for you. For those handymen who would like to do it on there own you will only save the wage. Before taking off on the project we recommend that you have your vehicle resprayed.

The expenses for the accessories, being sleeping facilities, kitchen, maybe a elevating roof with room for sleeping all depends on how much luxury you want. It’s possible to buy interior for only a few thousand kronor, but it’s most likely and very realistic to expect a price between 15,000 and 30,000 kronor. Here you really ought to get brochures and pricelist from company who supply these types of solutions and finally let your purse decide whatever you choose.

Only those “do it your self “type of persons with lot of experience would be able to do this job satisfactory.

If you whish to have the elevating roof and also being able to stand up inside the camper you have to have this done by professionals as you will need to change the basic construction of the vehicle.

(5) When the vehicle is fully taxed, you may legitimately install any interior fittings you wish, making it both a passenger carrying vehicle and a campervan as well. There are two ways of transforming your VW Transporter into a campervan. Either you can buy the campervan interior and install it yourself or employ a specialist company to do it for you. Handymen who would like to do it themselves, will save only on the labour costs. Before commencing the project we recommend that you have your vehicle resprayed.

The cost of furniture and equipment, such as sleeping facilities and a galley (i.e. name given to the kitchen, in a campervan, motorcaravan or boat), plus maybe an elevating roof with additional sleeping berths, will all depend on how much luxury you want. It’s possible to buy a campervan interior for only a few thousand kronor, but you should more realistically expect a price of between 15,000 and 30,000 kronor. At this stage, you really ought to obtain brochures and price lists from companies who supply these types of product and finally let your budget determine your choice.

Only people who are competent and experienced in "do it your self " work, would be able to do this job satisfactorily, for themselves.

If you wish to have an elevating roof, combined with the facility to stand up inside the campervan, you should have the work done by professionals, as it is necessary to change the basic structure of the vehicle.

(6) Her har firmaet Fixbo i Møgeltønder skåret VW-Transporter tag op. I vognbunden ligger en svær træplade, boltet til karosseriet, og i selve taget er indstøbt træforstærkninger, der gør vognen tilstrækkelig vridningsstabil. Denne konstruktion er skriftligt godkendt af Volkswagenwerk i Vesttyskland.

(6) Here has the company Fixbo located in Moegeltoender cut the roof open on a vw transporter. In the vehicle floor there is bolted on a thick wood plate and the roof has some wood reinforcements attached which will make the vehicle sufficiently stabile. This construction is approved by the Volkswagenwerk in Westgermany.

Question from Nigel A. Skeet to Henrik Larsen: Where in Denmark, is the town of Møgeltønder?

(6) The picture shows a VW Type 2 Transporter, with the roof cut open, undertaken by a company called Fixbo, located in Møgeltønder (a town in Denmark, sometimes written as, Moegeltoender). The vehicle is structurally reinforced, by bolting a thick wooden board to the floor and additional timber is attached to the roof, which together, will make the vehicle sufficiently rigid. This construction is approved by the Volkswagenwerk in West Germany.

View through the roof aperture, showing the dinette seats and storage cabinet, plus the stainless steel, combination two-burner cooker, sink unit & draining board.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=372162

It's a very large roof aperture, which would necessitate the removal of one of the roof cross braces and hence weaken the vehicle's structural integrity, especially with regard to roll-over incidents, unless otherwise reinforced in some way.

(7) Før montage af automøblerne, er vognen isoleret med plastskum på alle sider og beklædt med en mahogni-fineret plade. Så sættes gulvtæppe og møbler på plads. Bordet kan kures frem og tilbage i sin skinne og give arbejdplads. Det løftes nemt bort - og med ekstra betaling kan det forsynes med flere støtteben, så det kan være fritstående udenbils. Det samme gælder de to sofasæder.

Håndvasken og køkken- og gasbord er i rustfrit stål. Vasken har afløb til det fri. Enten er vandtilførslen eldrevet (vandtank nederst i skab), eller man vælger en vandtank på bilens tag over førerrummet så vandet løber ned af sig selv, når der åbnes. Forreste skab, nærmest køkkenbordet, har dybde til vognbunden, så kjoler kan hænge frit på bøjle. Det andet når ned til dækpladen over motorummet. Her er tre rum ialt. Ovenover en hylde med slingrekant.

Jalousiruden i siden med myggenet er også ekstra, og koster ca. 2.000 kroner + 200 kroner i montering - det hele plus moms.

(7) Before assembling the interior the vehicle is isolated with plasticfoam all the way around covered by mahogni plates. Next you put in the carpet and furniture’s.

Question from Nigel A. Skeet to Henrik Larsen:

Are these "mahogni plates" something like thick, tongue & groove wooden mahogany planks such as used in houses or thin (e.g. 3 mm thick) sheets of mahogany-faced plywood, similar to the paited birch plywood, used in the Westfalia campervan?

The table can slide back and forward on a rail and give room for working. It can easily be removed and for an extra amount of money it can be delivered with extra legs to support the table so it can be placed outside the camper. This is also possible for the two sofa-seats.

The sink, kitchen and gastable (cooker) is in stainless steel. The sink has an outlet out in the open. Either the water supply is electric (watertank in the bottom of the closet) , or you choose a watertank on the vehicle-roof just above the driver so that the water can run down by it self when you turn the water open.

The front closet nearest the kitchen table, has the size so you with out any problem can hang dresses on hangers. The other one reaches the coverplate over the engine. Here is 3 three rums all in all and on top of that, a shelf with rolling edge.

Question & Comment from Nigel A. Skeet to Henrik Larsen:

I am somewhat confused by your description! What do you mean by, "The other one reaches the coverplate over the engine. Here is 3 three rums all in all and on top of that, a shelf with rolling edge"?

In the picture (seen from the right-hand front cab seat), I can see a double louvre (i.e. jalousie) window; above a combination two-burner cooker/stove, draining-board & sink; above a refrigerator & cupboard (i.e. closet) with two sliding doors. Immediately rearward of these, is another cupboard (i.e. closet), over the engine-compartment ceiling (i.e. sometimes called the engine-deck, or rear load platform), with two sliding doors, which might have an unseen number of shelves inside and one on the top with a retaining lip (like that of the Westfalia Continental & Helsinki).

The jailously window with mosquito-net is also an extra feature which will cost around 2.000 kronor + 200 kronor for installation - every plus tax.

(7) Before assembling the interior, the vehicle is insulated throughout with foam polymer (e.g. expanded or extruded polystyrene, foam polyurethane, etc.) and then covered with mahogany boards or mahogany-faced plywood sheets. Next install the carpet and items of furniture.

The table can slide back and forth on a rail, providing space to work. It can easily be removed from the campervan and used outside, when fitted with removeable, factory-supplied, extra-cost, optional legs. The two bench seats can similarly be removed and adapted for outside use.

The combination two-burner, LPG stove (i.e. cooker), draining board and sink (i.e. hand basin) is of stainless steel. The sink has an external drain outlet (probably beneath the vehicle). One may choose one of two water-supply options; either electrically pumped, from a water tank in the bottom of the cupboard (i.e. closet, in USA parlance), or gravity-fed from a roof-mounted water tank, just above the driver, so that water flows of its own accord, when the tap (i.e. faucet, in USA parlance) is turned on.

The front wardrobe (i.e. clothes closet, in USA parlance), nearest the kitchen table, is large enough to easily store dresses (and other clothes presumably!) on hangers. The other one reaches the coverplate over the engine. [color=darkblue]Here is 3 three rums all in all and on top of that, a shelf with rolling edge
(I am confused as to how to interpret this dark blue-coloured text!).

The louvre window (i.e. jalousie window, in USA parlance) with mosquito-net, is also an extra feature, which will cost around 2,000 kronor + 200 kronor for installation - both plus tax.[/color]

Interior view of the furniture, seen from the right-hand, front cab seat, showing the following furnishings & equipment:

Tall, rear storage cabinet (i.e. cupboard, or alternatively, closet, in USA parlance) with sliding doors.
Double louvre windows (i.e. jalousie windows, in USA parlance);
Stainless steel, combination two-burner stove, sink unit & draining board below;
Storage cabinet with sliding doors & refrigerator beneath;
Dining table, supported by a slide-rail;
Front & rear bench seats.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=372161

(8) Et vippetag med teltdug og ventilattionsvindue i gavlen koster ca. 7.000 kroner + moms. Her er der soveplads til 2 voksne. Madrasser og betræk indgår i prisen.

(8) An elevating roof with canvas tent and ventilation windows in the end, will cost around 7000 kronor plus tax. Here there is room for to sleeping adults (Nigel asks, if this means 2 sleeping adults). Mattresses and fabrics are included in the price.

(8) An elevating roof, with canvas sides, ventilation end-windows and upholstered bunks, large enough to accommodate a total of two sleeping adults, will cost around 7,000 kronor plus tax.

A campervan conversion, with rear-hinged, wedge-shaped, two-berth elevating roof

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=372160

(9) Et foldetag, der giver »veranda« koster 10.000 kroner + moms, og leveres med madrasser og betræk til soveplads for 4 voksne.

Ønsker man kun udført hævetag på sin bil, beregner eksempelvis Fixbo sig ekstra 1.000 kroner + moms.

(9) An elevating roof which gives a kind of a veranda is around 10.000 kronor plus tax and will be supplied with mattresses and fabrics and will house 4 sleeping adults.

Ønsker man kun udført hævetag på sin bil, beregner eksempelvis Fixbo sig ekstra 1.000 kroner + moms. (Section from the original article in Danish, which appears to have been omitted from the translation)

Four-berth elevating roof cum roof tent

Although this type of elevating roof cum roof tent, would provide more sleeping accommodation, I am dubious about the support mechanism, requiring two vertical poles, which could be damaged or dislodged, by people blundering about a campsite, in the darkness and/or in a drunken state.

(9) A four-berth elevating roof, with adult-sized upholstered bunks, which also doubles as a form of awning or canopy (on the passenger side, above the exit from the sliding door), costs about 10,000 kronor plus tax.

Ønsker man kun udført hævetag på sin bil, beregner eksempelvis Fixbo sig ekstra 1.000 kroner + moms. (Section from the original article in Danish, which appears to have been omitted from the translation)

Integral roof rack & four-berth, side-hinged, elevating roof cum roof tent, the overhang of which, is supported by external poles. Also shown, are what appear to be the outside use of the front & rear bench seats, plus dining table, fitted with optional legs.

Although this type of elevating roof cum roof tent, would provide more sleeping accommodation, the two external, vertical poles, could be damaged or dislodged, by people blundering about a campsite, in the darkness and/or in a drunken state.

Den viste bil, VW transporter årgang 1973 kan fra Fixbo leveres fiks og færdig for 55.000 kroner. Denne pris er inklusive moms og indbefatter følgende udstyr: Valgfrit hævetag til enten 2 eller 4 voksne med madrasser. Køkkensektion med stålvask, elpumpe, bord og sofasæder til at opstille i det fri, 2 sovepladser i nederste kabi[color=cyan]###
jalousirude med myggenet og eldrevet køeskab med ekstra akkumulator.[/color]

What are the few missing letters (obliterated by the hole-punch!), which I represented by [color=cyan]###
?[/color]

Alle biler købt færdige ved Fixbo i Møgeltønder leveres standard med denne omfattende montering. Der er altså penge at spare ved købe en færdig vogn - blandt andet tjenes alene mere end 3.000 kroner, hvis man ønsker sig et vippetag til 4 personers soveplads- og køleskabet koster normalt 3.600 kroner i indkøb, hvis man selv anskaffer det.

Man kan herefter overveje, hvor meget af det nævnte arbejde, man (eller venner) er i stand til at gø selv, og dermed finde frem til, hvor meget der kan spares. der et blot enn ting, man skal vide. Hvis arbejdet ikke er udført med tilstrækkelig rutine og finish, går det ud over brugtvognsprisen, den dag man vil sælge.

The vehicle shown, the vw-transporter from 1973 can be supplied by Fixbo for around 55.000 kronor. This price is including tax and the following interior: Elevating roof with room for either 2 or 4 adults and mattresses, kitchen with steel sink, electrical pump, table and sofa seats which can be use out in the open, 2 sleeping accommodations in the cabin, jailously window with mosquito-net, electrical powered fridge supplied with an extra battery.

Does the first sentence mean, that if you took your own resprayed 1973 VW Type 2 Transporter, to the company called Fixbo, they would supply and fit to your vehicle, the elevating roof, jalousie window, furniture and other equipment, for a total price of 55,000 Danish kronor, including tax?

All the vehicles which are assembled by Fixbo are delivered with this extensive setup as mentioned before. So there will be money to save if you chose to buy a ready-made solution as you earn more 3000 kronor if you whish a elevating roof for 4 persons and the fridge will normally cost 3600 kronor if you purchase one your self.

Then it’s worth considering how much of the mentioned work that needs to be carried out, you(or your friends) are able to do by yourself, and in that way being able to see how much money there is to be saved. There is only one thing you should know. If the work isn’t carried with sufficiently rutine and finish it will effect the price on the vehicle when you choose to sell it.

Vehicles such as the 1973 VW Transporter shown, can be converted by Fixbo for around 55,000 kronor, including tax. The price includes: 2-berth or 4-berth elevating roof with adult-sized sleeping bunks; 2 sleeping berths in the main passenger cabin; louvre window (i.e. jalousie window, in USA parlance) with mosquito-net; galley (i.e. kitchen) with steel sink, electrically-operated water-pump & electrically-operated refrigerator, supplied by an auxiliary battery; plus table & bench seats which can be removed and used outside.

All the vehicles converted by Fixbo, are of this comprehensive specification. So there will be money to save if you chose to buy a ready-made solution as you earn more 3,000 kronor if you wish an elevating roof for 4 persons and the fridge will normally cost 3600 kronor if you purchase one your self.

Then it’s worth considering how much of the mentioned work that needs to be carried out, you(or your friends) are able to do by your self, and in that way being able to see how much money there is to be saved. There is only one thing you should know. If the work isn’t carried with sufficiently rutine and finish it will effect the price on the vehicle when you choose to sell it.

Note that both of the illustrated campervan conversions, using the retro-fitted Fixbo campervan furniture & equipment kits, appear to be based upon the 1968~79 VW Type 2 Panel Van and that side windows, rearward of the sliding door, have not been retro-fitted to either side of the vehicles, which is better with regard to thermal insulation, but further limits visibility for the driver and passengers.

Nigel A. Skeet

Olddog52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN the 70's I worked for a car dealership that sold Contempo conversions. Contempo was very big into VAN conversions in California. They were a coachbuilt conversion company and did mostly American Van conversions, they may have done some VW's also. Contempo was one of the first to produce what was generally know as a surf van, that being a van with shag carpet on the floor and walls and wood paneling on the roof. No real camping amenities on the inside, maybe a cabinet or two for storage, but no sink, fridge or dining options. They did make a few camping type conversions, but I suspect they couldn't compete with the big companies like Westfalia or Riviera and didn't continue it very long. The reason there may not be many if any brochures or info for Contempo is that they were basically a factory to dealer company and sold to new car dealers and not so much to general public. If memory serves, they were located in the SoCal area around Orange County I believe.

Not trying to hijack Nigels great info thread here, just trying tohelp out about the contempo.

Very Happy
VW Trike with 70 engine.
jackm316
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: oxley rheinlander Reply with quote

My Granddad owned a oxley rheinlander from 1979-1986 , and he always says it was one of a very small hand full imported to Britain, he had a permanent roof one and my mum says she has fond memory's growing up in the back of the VW and we actually have discovered a cine film of the oxley which we will soon be converting to DVD. But ever since he sold the camper he never saw another one of that type again and mum seeing the pictures of the interior she says this is the first time in years she has seen the type camper that she grew up in. But sadly my Granddad died 5 years ago and he never saw his camper or any of that type of camper again.
thanks
Jack.
Gustav_t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: POBA auto möbel car as found 2013 Reply with quote

I found this 1972 "POBA" camper a few weeks back. It has a complete "POBA" funiture set. It has been sitting in storage since 1999. My friend (also a bus enthusiast) works with the son of the late Poul Bader (Founder of Poba auto möbel).

G.

1967 fastback TL
1967 callooker
1972 Poba camper conversion
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!, obviously a Euro delivered bus but where was POBA made?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Gustav_t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POBA was made in Denmark.
Denmark is a small country sitting on top of Germany, next to Sweden.
1967 fastback TL
1967 callooker
1972 Poba camper conversion
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Cool!, obviously a Euro delivered bus but where was POBA made?

If you look at one of my earlier posts in this topic thread, you will find POBA's address in Københafn (a ferry port, in north east Denmark).

Poba Auto-Møbler
Peter Bangsvej 122
DK-2000 Københafn F
Telf.: 01-71 14 02
Tel.adr.: Pobacamper

Gustav_t wrote:
POBA was made in Denmark.
Denmark is a small country sitting on top of Germany, next to Sweden.

Sadly, not everyone on the west side of the Atlantic, have heard of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway & Sweden (i.e. Scandinavia), but some might be vaguely aquainted with Germany, owing to involvement with the later half of the Second World War.

Gustav_t wrote:
I found this 1972 "POBA" camper a few weeks back. It has a complete "POBA" funiture set. It has been sitting in storage since 1999. My friend (also a bus enthusiast) works with the son of the late Poul Bader (Founder of Poba auto möbel).

G.

Hello Gustav.

I shall be interested to learn more about your VW Type 2 with POBA campervan furniture and perhaps make contact with your friend who works with Poul Bader's son.

My impression of the 1968~79 VW Type 2 POBA campervans, is that they had only the cab-door, sliding-door & rear-hatch windows; there being no other rearward side windows, possibly related to tax requirements!?!

Nigel A. Skeet

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Sadly, not everyone on the west side of the Atlantic, have heard of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway & Sweden (i.e. Scandinavia),
I neber heard of those places bafore, I be from the udder side of de Atlantics Osean, we dumb. Laughing
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: