Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odyssey down, Optima in
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsombrero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Odyssey down, Optima in Reply with quote

My Odyssey PC1200 is less than a year old and it won't take a charge. I ran it down a few times and I guess it was too much for the pup. I replaced with with an Optima Yellowtop, the much-hyped deep-cycle batt.

If you search the forums for Optima advice you'll find everything from "Yeah it fits in no problem!" to "I ain't cutting into my mf'in van for no mf'in battery" and "dude, I ruined it". So I gave it a whirl. Here's an actual pic that shows the notches you have to cut in the metal under the seat. Mind you this is freakin gute Deutsche Steel and it took me 30 minutes with a Dremel and a jigsaw.

If you have swivel seats you definitely have to install it on its side. I did not wanting to risk cutting off the posts and wrecking a $200 battery. I don't see any other way around cutting those two fugly notches. I painted over them to stave off rust.

There is room to use the side terminals but just barely. I had to insulate it from the batt compartment lid, and fabricate a hold-down.

Meanwhile the Odyssey is powering a small fan in the greenhouse Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 Westy, Syncro-nated
2003 Aprilia Caponord (now with Jif)
Atari 2600
1970 Earthbound Humanoid
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that running these type of batteries down is an expensive DOH!. Having just installed my Odyssy, I think a low battery alarm is the way to go. Just have to find one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a a relay that would trigger at below 11.5 volts and cut off power. Problem is, something to handle the amps would eat power on its own. I was depressed when I realized I had killed my optima. Now I have voltage gauges everywhere.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone gave a link to some LVD's for the RV crowd that could be a good solution to stoning your cabin battery. There are also small solar charge controllers aplenty that incorporate load control. So if you're also going to have a PV panel, you can roll all the controls into one. The prices are pretty reasonable. Some even have programmable day/night on/off controls, so you can have the van's porch light come on at dusk!

Just some examples:

Here's the LVD's link from that other thread:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-converters/battery-brain.htm

A programmable LVD:
http://www.solarconverters.com/ss-1.htm

A 20A version of a really dependable solar charge controller with LVD:
http://www.affordable-solar.com/morningstar.sunsaver.20l.12v.charge.controller.htm

Shop around, there are many versions of these type of components.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: