Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

horn pics?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: horn pics? Reply with quote

I get the gist of the wiring routing (I think), for a '70 model horn. I was just wondering if any of you have any pics for the tab on the steering coupler. I think the negative side of the horn runs to a tab on the column itself, plastic-protected from the frame. The po of my westy evidently just got pissed off & jerked everything out, including the wire that runs through the center of the steering tube itself, & I can't see the tab on the coupler or the one on the inside of the tube. Also, I've now got 100 miles on my new engine, do I have to replace valve cover gaskets each & every time I adjust my valves? Thank you so much for your help.
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: horn pics? Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me if there should be 12 volts of electricity on my steering column if wired properly? Seems that if the power goes through the horn, & attaches to the tab, there should be... right? Please reply, I know this subject is drivin into the ground, but my steering coulumn is apart & I feel like a dumbass. Embarassed
DubKru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve covers are cheap. Don't be cheap.

As far as I know, the steering column is ground for the horn. There's a wiring diagram available online that shows all the wires.
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you don't have to replace your valve cover gaskets every time you pull them.

I use Permetex #2 gasketmaker on the valve cover side to stick them on, and wheel bearing grease on the head side.

After about the third time though, the cork is cooked/hard and you get to swap them out. I really, really wish that Felpro's reusable gaskets were worth something, but they stretch out and compress in weird ways on my small block chevy. Cork is cheap... and a perfectly clean install with good quality valve covers doesn't leak for a long time. Haven't tried them on the bus, maybe the rubber ones with steel core are better than rubber only. Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: