Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PS Hose (Updated)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: PS Hose (Updated) Reply with quote

I have a tiny hole in the rubber ps hose that runs from the end of one of the metal pipes up to the top of the PS pump.

No problem, i think. Simply remove the hose and take it to the nearest hydraulics workshop. Only one problem. I cant get the damned thing un done at the connection to the metal pipe! I have soaked it in WD40 and 3 in 1 for days bu cannot get the damned thing to budge!!

Has anyone got any suggestions/hints/tips/morale boosters? I dont want to drive it with the leak as i dont want PS fluid spraying onto the engine.

Oh, and happy new year everyone!

Last edited by dragonfire709 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roy - You might have to hit it for several days with PB blaster, Wd-40, something along those lines. I've had this same problem with other "problem" fasteners, had to soak them over a few days
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a set of vice-grips or heavy-duty pliers on it where it connects over the metal nipple, and TWIST sideways.....it should move. If it does twist you can go ahead and pull while twisting a bit. It should work.

Photo ?

Good luck,

Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you absolutly can't get the hose off--drive it to the hydraulic hose shop.

How?

Simple.

Slit a piece of heater hose, slip it over the hole, and clamp it down onto the PS hose where the pin hole is.
2-3 aircraft clamps will be good.

It'll slow the leak down enough to get you where your going, without making a mess of your engine compartment.
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin-hope you are well. Ive been blasting it with WD40 for 10 days now. Thought it would have budged by now!

Heres a photo of the connector in question, Chester;

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My new thought is that maybe its not supposed to undo?

Thats a good suggestion TK. I've already put another pipe loosely over the top of the leak(to stop it spraying directly onto the engine). If I clamp thet in place it should hold a bit of the fluid in.

Thanks for your help, guys.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using flare-nut wrenches?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: PS Hose (Updated) Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies. I Have managed to get the damned thing undone now and hope to get to the hydraulics place tommorow.

I guess you were right, Kevin!
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PS Hose (Updated) Reply with quote

dragonfire709 wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. I Have managed to get the damned thing undone now and hope to get to the hydraulics place tommorow.

I guess you were right, Kevin!

Good news....and I was thinking of the low pressure return line.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: