Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Admirer
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Admirer Reply with quote

Yesterday spring finally arrived in CT, so I took my Ghia out for a spin. In the distance I saw... A THING! I had to floor it to catch up and really check it out, and it was a beauty. Now I'm cruising the samba classifieds. Rationally, I should concentrate on my one VW, but who's thinking rationally? Maybe I'll at least study the forum a bit and learn more about them before I buy, but just wanted to send some fan mail to all you Thing owners out there. Hope to join the ranks soon!
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful. You may not want to stop with just the Thing, although that's a heckuva good pairing with your Ghia if you "limit yourself" to two VWs. Two distinctively different rides, two different missions, both cool. Good luck shopping.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you saw the restored yellow one in West Hartford. That one is sweet. Seeing that driving around w/ the top down last August motivated me to get off my ass and get my '74 back in shape in time for this summer...
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing Love is stronger than a young V8 and something to make us all proud that we're still human enough to appreciate beauty of the Thing. My yellow Lab "lucky" seems to prefer riding in the wide open feel of the Thing with her top off over the Ford Expedition, but, you can still tell that he doen't love either of them as much as he loves chasing birds and balls and the like. Only Momo Sapiens love Things (Thing Owners with Momo steering wheels). Smile

Thank you for this Thing sighting on the eastern front. Things will work out real well for you when you get your very own Thing. Good luck.
Richard Myers
74 Thing Owner
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Monica, you may be interested to know that my nicest VW is a 73 Ghia that was originally purchased at Willimantic VW. I hope I spelled that right, but since you're from CT, you probably recognize the town anyway. The original owner was an engineer who was fanatical about it. He ended up in Oregon, died a year ago, and his widow put it up for sale. It was one of those sleepers in the classified ads...you'd have never guessed that the car was a time capsule until seeing it.

As I alluded to earlier, while I love that Ghia, I also enjoy several other VWs for their own special reasons.
Monica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ZL688, it was the yellow Thing of West Hartford! Now that I know it lives close by I'll hope to see it more often. Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I've always had the VW itch, since growing up with two buses, three bugs (parents had six kids). You're right though, scarroll, I need to be careful. I've been looking at a Notchback that I like, too... but the Thing is a Thing of beauty! I've got to ask for that raise and get the garage cleaned out...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: