Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BollingerRD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added Redline "Water Wetter" to the cooling system. Replaced Temp 2 sensor.

Tomorrow, replace gear oil with Redline MT-90.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's still pretty early in the morning, but I plan to continue working on the top bunk today. I'm in the process of reinstalling the interior after gutting the entire van for a complete makeover that included: different color paint job, cabinet reskin, new seat covers by Sewfine(with seat heaters) and all new fabric for interior panels. I'm taking full advantage of my slow season to get this tank back on the road. I either have time and no money or money and no time, it seems.
mr. c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I fixed the odometer, but messed up the speedometer. The usual worm-gear problem occurred, but instead of completely missing the gear, the odo make a pronounced CLICK! every time it missed. This is not acceptable, so I dug in.
The first problem I found was the housing was cracked where three of the four screws hold the speedo in. The faceplate was a little loose, and after I gently pried off the speedo needle with two screwdrivers, the two screws that hold the faceplate in fell out. The clear plastic was cracked on one corner, and complete cracked where the two faceplate screws go. Consequently, the speedo spring is 'floating' on the middle crossbar of the plastic plate, held in place on by the press-fit of the small disk on the shaft. I was able to loosen the three screws that hold the clear plastic in place and push it so it was biased to the worm-gear side, which solved the click. I used electrical tape to secure all the cracked plastic (except the part attached to the speedo needle). I reinstalled the whole deal, and now the speedo reads 10-15 mph high at low speed. I didn't have teh time to roll on the highway, so I'll have to check that later.

But, hey, no click!
BoWingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on my "new to me" '85 Westy off and on for a couple of weeks now. I guess it's time I post some of my progress here before I start to forget what I've done.

The van's been parked for at least 5 years.

Started with an oil change where I encountered a rounded off drain plug. Had to use a bolt-out kit to get the damaged plug out. Found a replacement drain plug and washers and finished the oil change.

Removed the spark plugs and shot some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders. With the van in neutral, I turned the pullies with a screwdriver and broke up all the crap that had stuck to the tops of the pistons.

Ordered a replacement fuel line kit and spent the past few nights replacing all rubber fuel lines, the plastic firewall union, and filters. Wanted to take care of this before even putting a battery on the van.

I'm headed to the Battery Store (really, that's the name) tonight to price batteries.

Getting excited. Very Happy
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reversing the engine wiring harness (the small harness that actually sits on top of the engine) on my Subaru conversion. The result is a neat and tidy appearance with a lot of the wiring hidden under the air intake. Received the stainless steel coolant return from Mastercraft....will now need to modify. I'm only days away from trying to start the engine..... Very Happy

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
UH60Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed new water pump, new rubber coolant hoses, new belts, discovered that new water pump leaks when you forget to torque its mounting bolts and nuts and they are only fingertight when you add coolant, torqued nuts/bolts on water pump, had celebratory beer when it didnt leak, made first attempt at bleeding cooling system, drove around, observed steam coming from radiator area, observed temp gauge a needle width above the LED, re-bled system, got sick of growling fuel pump, replaced nasty fuel filter, had celebratory beer when fuel pump ceased growling, and now contemplating how many damn times I will have to bleed the radiator before all the air is really gone. Man, what a freakin fun ass day! Totally priceless to wrench on my baby.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
79panel.uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the old girl running after i have had to replace the head gasket, she had no compression on no1 but after a post on here i managed to get her running, many thanks to tencentlife.

so i went for a drive with the lovely heaters on full!!!
driving a heater less bay for 6 weeks has been killing me.
65 deluxe bus
89 golf cab
93 golf cab
69 dodge charger (baby sitting)
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
Finished reversing the engine wiring harness (the small harness that actually sits on top of the engine) on my Subaru conversion. The result is a neat and tidy appearance with a lot of the wiring hidden under the air intake. Received the stainless steel coolant return from Mastercraft....will now need to modify. I'm only days away from trying to start the engine..... Very Happy

- Chester

I ca feel the excitement!! Been fun following your thread! You do good work!

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tomswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the ice and snow gone from the roads I took my westy on a drive around town. Been over a month since the last light of day but safely back into the garage until the next winter break.

Come on spring!! I know it's the first day of winter but you can always dream.

Happy Holidays....
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabricated some magnets to hold my rear table in place when driving. No matter how tight I cranked down on the two tightening knobs, it would still swing out on a hard left turn. Two kitchen cabinet magnetic latches later, no swingee. $4 mod, the best kind.

Swapped out the 10mm spacers from Loogy with 12mm spacers from Loogy. 2mm made all the difference. My new grease caps now clear with no grinding, and my speedometer cable is now working. Previous grease cap had rounded out the speedo cable hole. Thanks Loogy!!

Also took it to the car wash to rinse off a few days collection of bird crap on the fiberglass roof. Looks much better.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out today and was greeted again with 74 degree weather, so I replaced the oil pressure switch (1.9 litre). Then gave it a nice wash and wax job.

Love these winter days!

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, it was yesterday, but I began cleaning up the wiring system in my Westy. I've had two problems bugging me, and I wanted to upgrade some things.

So far, I've accomplished cleaning up the dash wiring, including replacing one of the worst botched wiring snafus I've ever seen. The ground wire coming out of the heater box (I assume it's for the blower) had been snipped less than two inched away from where it exited the box. Getting my hands and tools in there to properly splice that was a challenge!! I really thought I was going to have to remove the dash to get to it, but I finally got a solid splice, and ran the ground to one of the grounding clusters on the firewall.

I also found a splice in my headlight relay wiring that was a "little" suspect, so maybe that's why I've blown a few fuses, Time will tell.

Planned for today: (1) rewire and repair my dash lighting for the heater controls. Never have worked, but they will soon!!, and (2) install a double cigarette lighter terminal in place of the single stock monstrosity.

BoWingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cranked it! Dancing This may not seem like a big deal, but this is the first time that this van has cranked since it was put into hibernation by the previous owner 5 years ago! We tried to crank it a couple of days ago. A lot of troubleshooting, complaining, and one relay later, and it cranked right up.

I bet the neighbors will also appreciate the fact that we moved it from the street to the driveway. We were headed for the garage, but it turns out the van's too tall.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally test fitted the Porsche 928 16" wheels to the 1980 Westy. The custom 1 1/2" adapters worked great and cleared the dust caps. Lucky guess Very Happy
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: paid it a visit Reply with quote

Hung out in the garage (doors open, thanks) with the van running and gave it a nice mid-season check.

It is protected from Minnesota street salt during winter, but boy do I miss it.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I got out early and had the BFG A/T's rotated and balanced then I changed the oil and filter and installed a set of CB 1:25 rockers and Jay Cee aluminum pushrod tubes.

Today I changed the tranny and front diff. oil and adjusted the passenger door.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
techbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok not all today but this weekend!

Got all my power locks working! Started with the rear hatch..
Had to grind down a burr on my rear lock that was keeping my actuator from sliding across.. (sorry for the bad picture)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PO had removed slider lock and switch and I was nervous that I would uncover an electrical gremlin if I just replaced them w/ newly acquired parts..

plug and play though! Works like a dream..

I also replaced the driver's side window weather stripping and gave Bunter a good vacuuming and tidying..

oh yea. and because I'm a dork.. a little interior decorating!

good times! Now that all my power locks are working great I'm thinking about putting in the gowesty remote lock kit. Anyone here use that one? Looks like it installs pretty easy!
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4187&category_id=253&category_parent_id=
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed my tempII sensor this morning hoping to fix rough cold start problem and when I was done, saw this:

yikes. good thing I caught it this morning. not the way I wanted to spend my Sunday.
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulled down what remained of the A/C (after tree fell on vanagon), lay on my back and carefully pushed really hard with my legs to get some of the big dents to pop back up. Now my head doesn't touch the ceiling, I can see out of the rearview mirror, and the roof no longer holds 3 gallons of standing water (down to about half a gallon).
Can't wait to get the CHC on there, its going to be sweet....neccessity is the mother of invention.
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finally finished my svx conversion... its been a long time going.

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild
Front cab changed from brown to black with new homemade door panels, etc.
Soon to remove fridge/sink/cabinet and make custom bench seat!!!

89 wolfsburg/ bluestar.... finished the stick to automatic conversion,
tiico motor
Daily driver, 20mpgs and has enough hair in it to make a few dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 630

Jump to: