Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Injector Service or Rebuilt ??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Injector Service or Rebuilt ?? Reply with quote

So I sent some injectors to cruzin 3.5 years ago
well after I got done fixing a burnt exhaust valve over the holidays I noticed when I pulled the head
that both injectors on the head with the burnt valve
were drippin now I have the dual filter system
so how can injectors start dripping in such a short period of time with what I assume is hiqh quality filtering ... the pintle cap looks good

So lets assume that this time I want to replace those injectors but I am choking at 130-200 for new injectors

So I have had good results with www.fuelinjectioncorp.com I have their rebuilt afm and a brand new $99 fuel pump ...
So i thought I would try http://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/products/injectors.php
their rebuilt it looks more comprehensive (you get brand new coil )
than JUST a cleaning & the price is 42/unit ...
any comments on this or other HQ rebuilds or should I just shovel my spare set of injectors off for another cleaning ??
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in giving someone other than Cruzin a try, I just had my injectors cleaned by WitchHunter Perfromance (thanks for the tip Chris). They did a great job and price was absurdly low at $17.00 each.

I just called Gordon at WitchHunter and told him about your problem and asked if he knew anything about Fuel Injection Corporation rebuilding injectors with new coils. His response was "Well that's news to me because the plastic is molded in place. How in the hell are they able to get them apart, clean them and replace the coils for $42.00?".

According to WhitchHunter, the main cause of dripping fuel injectors in an otherwise clean fuel system, is water in the fuel. The moisture can cause corrosion inside the injector, at which point they are usually junk. He said that 3½ years is not unheard of as far as cleaning injectors. He said that it is definately on the short side though. He recommended trying to have them cleaned again because if the dripping is not caused by corrosion, they can most likely be saved. If the dripping is caused by corrosion, whoever cleans them will catch this before they are returned to you.

One other thing concerning the coils. In WitchHunters opinion, 99.9% of the time, the coils either work or the don't work, that simple.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris, you beat me to it.

When I talked to Gordon over at witchhunter, he told me pretty much the same thing. He also said, there is no such thing as a rebuilt injector. They are either new, or bead blasted, cleaned, and flow tested (which is what he does). In my opinion, he seemed like a pretty stand up guy and I have no reason to doubt him, especially since he is up to his neck in injectors all day long and does this for a living. And, for $17 a piece, I'd easily add it to the 'to-do' list for maintenance every 4 years. Try witchhunter, and if they act up after that, go the new route. my .02
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:

I just called Gordon at WitchHunter and told him about your problem and asked if he knew anything about Fuel Injection Corporation rebuilding injectors with new coils. His response was "Well that's news to me because the plastic is molded in place. How in the hell are they able to get them apart, clean them and replace the coils for $42.00?".

well you got me all inquisitive & stuff with that molded plastic stmt...

So I called down to FIC and spoke with Bob-925-371-6551 & ...para phrasing
-we chip away the molded plastic connector
-pull the coil & guts out of the injector & clean
-sonic clean/ alcohol bath all the parts
-install NEW Chinese made coils
-install NEW custom plastic injection molded connector

and yah that all for $42
hmmm dam I am sold and anybody else wanta vette that with Bob

Last edited by tclark on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark wrote:

that's where you lost me.

no wonder they can do it for $40 a piece. I'm still skeptical. If you do go that route, I'd love to see some pics of the finished product once you receive it. I'm very curious. Please do a follow up post tclark!
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavanagon wrote:
tclark wrote:

that's where you lost me.

no wonder they can do it for $40 a piece. I'm still skeptical. If you do go that route, I'd love to see some pics of the finished product once you receive it. I'm very curious. Please do a follow up post tclark!

well now I find out after little more sloothing BD actually re-sells
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=390206
but still no pics I wonder If I could get BD to send some pics
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have cleaned and calibrated 30 year old German injectors than brand new rebuilt Chineese crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked, copper was the same exact atom in China as here. Chinese workers can wind wire around an armature just as well as German or Brazilian ones can. That leaves the wire's lacquer insulation. I would bet good money that the wire they use in the Bosch plant comes on spools labelled "made in China".

If your nozzles drip under pressure (fail to hold), the coil hasn't got anything to do with it. It's corrosion or mechanical degradation of the surfaces of the nozzle and pintle, or a failing pintle spring.

What accounts for the cost of good injectors is the very fine machining and microfinishing on the stainless nozzle and pintle. Because the seal has to be perfect between two metal parts, tolerances are extremely tight so that means that many parts are rejected. That's why superficial corrosion on these parts results in leakage (that's also why you need very fine filtration, for both solids and water). The coil, core, and connector are the cheap parts no matter where they're made.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
L
If your nozzles drip under pressure (fail to hold), the coil hasn't got anything to do with it. It's corrosion or mechanical degradation of the surfaces of the nozzle and pintle, or a failing pintle spring.

hmm in that case a service would probably only fix the pintle spring so I am better off not sending mine out to get cleaned since I am probably gonna hear i got corrosion/mechanical issue with these injectors
an i should get different injectors in any case

OK anyone know GB Remanufacturing
http://www.gbreman.com/view.php?doc_id=309
http://www.fuelinjectorsoutlet.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=842
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark wrote:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=390206
but still no pics I wonder If I could get BD to send some pics

well well well you gotta be careful here if you order em from BD
I talked to rick@bd he described the a FIC injectors he had yellow, blue, turquoise(dark green) plastic but the blue/yellow still had the bosch# on the injector
The dark green brand new looking injectors w/o bosch part#
these are the real rebuilt injectors from FIC with the new coil && internal seals
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send a couple of sets. Use the best. That is what I did. Glad I did. I had an issue with one injector. I was happy I could mix in another from my second set.

Now I have to send that one injector back along with the third set that was the set in the car while I got the two others serviced.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: