Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone make custom cabinents and seat?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Anyone make custom cabinents and seat? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever made their own custom cabintry in their bus. I am planning on making my own to save money but I need ideas. Does anyone have plans or pics. Also, has anyone ever made their own custom seat behind the drivers or passenger seat? I also need plans and pics of this. Thank you very much.
matt
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Anyone make custom cabinents and seat? Reply with quote

I've found a few sites on the web with custom work. Most of it was done really well, some was crap. You didn't mention what year your bus was, but I bet you could find a junker cheap to use as patterns or just use the cabinets themselves. I don't think you will be able to save much once you price decent plywood, hardware, and all of the incidentals. Where are you located? My brother has a couple of wrecked Westy's he's parting out that still have furniture in them.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Anyone make custom cabinents and seat? Reply with quote

I live in Greeley, CO. Where is your bro located. I would be interested in buying the cabinents if I can find them cheap enough. THanks.
matt
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone make custom cabinents and seat? Reply with quote

Lexington, SC- It'd cost too much to ship them to be worth it I think. Check your local pick and pulls, the Samba classifieds, etc. Occasionaly they show up on ebay too, but be careful of the prices especially if they want to charge you for shipping and crating.

I personally am not talented enough to make my own and have them fit right, but I've seen some that easily rivaled anything in a house. I'm sure they spent some serious time on them though and cabinet grade plywood (stainable) isn't cheap.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Anyone make custom cabinents and seat? Reply with quote

Hi Matt, check out www.Zproducts.com and look under van camper kits. they make these for bays and vanagons including cabinets, curtains, and Z-beds. Hope this helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Anyone make custom cabinents and seat? Reply with quote

I'm working on my own cabinets now. Very time consuming, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Im basically using the old ones as patterns. So far, so good!

EZ
77 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Anyone make custom cabinents and seat? Reply with quote

I'd tend to agree with the other posts here... if you want to do a decent job it won't end up saving you money in the end. Just read this the other day, though; very interesting--http://www.nateswaterart.com/vw/camper_interior/interior_prep/
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Anyone make custom cabinents and seat? Reply with quote

Should be pretty easy for you to find a Bay window Westy set up thats correct for your Bus. Check the Coloradovwbusclub.com first to see if anyone in the area has something for you. Maybe try Blakes in Eerie. That is pretty close to you up in Greely. I wouldn't even bother trying to cobble something together that I could get as factory original and simply bolt in. A z bed frame will set you back the price of a decent Westy interior if you shop around and are a bit patient. If you live in CO, you know how many campers are around, especially late model. Just remember that if you find one to part out, take every last nut and bolt, wood bows, etc. with you! Aside from that, when you go to sell the Bus someday, it will be worth more if it doesn't have a hokey homebuilt hippie setup in it. Just my two cents.

VIVA COLORADO BUS MILITIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: