Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Engine Bay Fire
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Thing Engine Bay Fire Reply with quote

It was a sad day in Thingdom last Sunday. I picked up my coil that had vibrated out of the little holder mounted to the dog house, while performing a pre-cruise check of the oil and fan belt. I was goint to slide it back in the holder. Well, it arc'd on the carb linkage. That caused the voltage regulator cover, also mounted on the dog house, to pop off and arc with other metal. The result was an instant fire on the wire casing that goes between solenoid and coil. The orange flame started right at the grommet protecting the wiring harness from the body as the harness exits the engine bay.....right behind the right carb. Luckily, I keep a little fire extinquisher mounted next to the "shotgun" seat up front. I grabbed it and doused the flame, made a huge mess, but, saved my THING.

Man-O-man, it happened in a half of a second! Aside from a mess, the damage is confined to some wiring and the voltage regulator.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you caught it before the damage was worse!

Which brings to mind a couple of quick tips-
1. always keep an extinguisher handy- and inspect it periodically to make sure it will work when you need it.

2. No matter how small the job, ALWAYS disconnect the battery when you have to tinker with the electrics.

The entrance requirements to the School of Hard Knocks are a breeze... but the tuitiion is prohibitive.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the key must have been turned on. Shouldn't be any power to the coil with the ignition switch off.

Glad it didn't turn into something bigger.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad that happened! I am never happy to do work to correct damage from my own carelessness! I have a couple of fire extinguishers in two of my VW's and I will be getting one for the thing now. Did it start by arcing on the hot wire of the voltage regulator? Good luck getting it back up and running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the key was on....the motor definitely was not running, as I started this ordeal by trying to check the oil before a drive.

The first thing that I noticed was an arc between one of the wires attached to the outside of the coil (please excuse my ignorance here). It arc'd off of the metal carb linkage bar above it as I tried to pick up the coil to reinstall it in its bracket on the dog house. The next thing that I know the voltage regulator cover fell off, just as smoke and an orange flame started pouring from behind the right (brand new webber 40idf!!!!!) carb. A closer look at the vr cover shows an burn mark on the inside of it. In fact, I couldn't tell how it was ever attached.....no screws, no snap engagement. Its like the vr cover was "glued on" to the base. Anyway, the coil sent some serious voltage to it, enough to make it melt and burn the big wire (hot wire???) between the vr and the solenoid on the starter. This wire housing was crispy black and fried all the way to the solenoid, even the section of it that is inside the main wiring harness (it joins/enters the rear wiring harness right at the fire wall). It scared the sheep out of this thinger because this STUPID stuff never happens to smart guys like me. Yeah, right. I almost witnessed two years labor and about 13k go up in smoke in my driveway. EEEEEEEEEEEck. Get a fire extinguisher, fellow thingers. You see, I should have never needed one because I keep my car well maintained, yada, yada, yada. Smile
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an order from Things Unlimited is forthcoming!

Good luck. Maybe we should all mount a fire extinguisher in the engine bay just so it is back there in such a case.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a better spot would be closer to the drivers seat for a fire extinguisher as you may get burned trying to free up one in a burning engine compartment,but I just put them behind the rear seat in my air-cooled VW's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a better spot would be closer to the drivers seat for a fire extinguisher as you may get burned trying to free up one in a burning engine compartment,but I just put them behind the rear seat in my air-cooled VW's.
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out my signature block. i learned the hard way. i mount my fire extingusher right in front of the passenger door in my Super. unfortunately its not a thing (i wish).

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: