Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corvair in a Baja
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushdownforreverse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Corvair in a Baja Reply with quote

I as I have stated in a couple of previous posts the boy and I are kicking around the idea of doing a baja. We already know we are going to stay with king/link to keep the cost in check and push the front ang go 6 wider on the front and I am still unsure aout the rear either 3x3 or 4x5. I have the opertunity to buy a conv. husk of a body and have'nt decided if we are going to go full body or run the conv and cut the back half out and full tube it. Anyway my question is why are guys not running the air cooled corvair motors? I know where I can get a 140 H.P. which is a stock motor for an almost take it for free price. Is there a drivabilty issue with these engines offroad or is it just a supply thing? Just seems to me with a mild amount of turbo boost you could have a very stout lowbuck extremily reliable motor. Any thoughts. Just looking for a little experianced direction. Thanks
motorbreath53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its science... watercooled motors draw in the ladies like no other. proven fact.

I never looked into the idea of a corvair, but I imagine they have become less popular as the supply decreases... Plus, fuel injected lightweight water cooled power plants are becoming easier to find as well... subaru, ecotec, duratec, LS1, Northstar etc... Those are out of the box 170hp and up with factory reliablity... once you get past the ECM...
pushdownforreverse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather try and tune 4 carbs than mess the computer. Plus there is the different power plant and just plain coolness of having something that everyone else does not have. But on the 4cyl inj note I guess an S2000 with a charger would not be so bad either. I think those are 240 hp without the charger.
pushdownforreverse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am just not sold on how the water cooled engines look on the back of the Baja's. They just look kinda awkward. I think they look awesome on the rails and buggies but just don't quite look right. Maybe if the back half was tube it may not be so bad. Just my opinion.
motorbreath53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion... thats what makes this fun... my opinion is, I would happily punch a nun in the jaw to have the back of my car look like this one....
pushdownforreverse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutley awesome Baja. It just looks really heavy back there. Now that may not be the case and I know for a fact those type of setup work great I guess I just can't get past the look. That's my issue. Anyhow we are just trying to keep the finances in check and keep it fun.
Rockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a Corvair in one of our buggies and here's what I've learned:

1. Get a different, readily available carb for it. We're running some aftermarket Holley, and it's pretty hard to get parts/rebuild kits for it on short notice.

2. The fan belt situation is horrible. On the Corvair, the crank and fan belt pulley are on different axes. As a result, the belt will not stay on if you try to rev it (5000 rpm seems to be the limit, sometimes more, sometimes less). We always bring a couple of extra fan belts with us since they get eaten pretty often. So, either try to make a guide system to keep it on or get an MSD digital rev limiter for it.

Great thing about the motor is other than occasional carb rebuild and oil change, it's been stupidly reliable. We bought this motor with unknown history from a guy and just threw it in 10 or 15 years ago, and it's still running strong with just a little oil consumption. Always starts up quickly and never quits.

BTW, it goes without saying that you should use a VW trans with these. The transmission is made of IRON (weighs a ton), the clutch is almost always out of adjustment and the linkage is some crap cable setup that's about as accurate as an insurgent with an AK47 at full auto... Very Happy
motorbreath53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all about the budget to man... If all goes well, i'll have less than 2k in my ecotec swap....which is not dirt cheap by any means, but should be more reliable than a $2000 vw motor, and have more power... I can still drive my car too with the 1600dp while i'm collecting parts too......... looks good on paper anyway.....
twistingawrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im pretty sure that the corvair engine is reverse rotation so if you were running a type 1 or bus trans you would have to run it with the trans behind the engine. mid engine style.. just some thoughts..

RON PAUL 2008!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushdownforreverse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockwood do you have any pics of your setup. Also where did you get the trans adapter or did you make it?
pushdownforreverse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying that I am set in stone with this idea just more curious at this point. This build when started will have a moderate budget and I just just don't want to take up the budget with the motor, harness ,ecu, custom headers,blah blah blah.
Rockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushdownforreverse wrote:
rockwood do you have any pics of your setup. Also where did you get the trans adapter or did you make it?

No pics, and if you saw them, they'd make your eyes hurt (buggy that's been kept outside for the better part of 20 years).

No trans adapter. I found out the hard way about all this Corvair trans crappiness because that's what's still in the buggy... Crying or Very sad

I do know that my Grandfather-in-law had a VW "truck" (converted bus) with a Corvair in it way back in the day, so I think it rotates the same way (unless he flipped the diff).
ElCaminoManT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corvairs rotation is different. but ive seen it done numerous times so its possible to run a vair with a dub trans. heck, just find yourself a nice lil powerglide transaxle and run that, no shifting! j/k, all the vair transmissions are heavy as stated above.

we are a corvair family: 62 corvair 95 rampside pickup with a powerglide, 61 rampside with a 3 speed, 62 700 coupe with a powerglide and a ragged 64 monza with a powerglide. also have a resonably built 140 engine in the garage on a stand waitin to either go into the 62 rampside or 62 coupe, not sure yet.....

www.glamisdunes.com
1FASTHOE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how difficult is it to locate parts for a corvair engine ?
Class 11 wannabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Class 11 wannabe on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arent exhausts and parts spendier?

If memory serves right the holley carb used is a 2100 or 2200
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a little info on the reverse running thing, you can flip the ring gear on the vw trans, and that will work, but it is not as strong because now you are running on the back of the gears, not the pre loaded side, you can also put in a reverse rotation cam (not sure who makes these anymore), and that works best, I believe if you flip the ring gear, you have to come up with a starter that turns the opposite direction. I think there are also some issues with hanging that much extra weight off the vw trans, might need a rear support. Some where I have seen an aftermarket belt system that corrects the problem with the belt flying off. By the way, Corvairs sound awesome running thru glass packs.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twistingawrench wrote:
im pretty sure that the corvair engine is reverse rotation so if you were running a type 1 or bus trans you would have to run it with the trans behind the engine. mid engine style.. just some thoughts..

Twistingawrench is correct....

Corvair is reverse rotation.... You have to use a transaxle that you can flip the ring gear in or get a "reverse rotation" cam and install it in motor...

Quite frankly I go for large VW motor capable of 140 horse before I added the extra weight of Corvair engine and the push ups to get 4 speeds forward and one in reverse....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
bugseller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do NOT go corvair. the motors spin reverse so theres a big reason. two go start pricing engine parts like p/c's just like a bug but 10x the price. sorry but the vair was the best bet until about 10 yrs ago when the parts stopped being made and went up like a porsche. and to the guy up top the corvair is air cooled one of the main reasons they used them back in the day(no h2o). the most popular way is to reverse the engine rotation with a cam and some other parts. trust me though you could easily do a suby swap with all the info on wiring or just buy a harness from outfront (formally outback) and it just hooks up a couple basic wires. or KEP has the wire pinout on a piece of paper. also to the guy that says water cooled engine dont look good search (turbo V6 baja) and check mine out. I am willing to bet there is not one h2o powered guy that will ever go back to bug engines, lol.

also the rotary was a sweet option but as they cost $$$ for a quality rebuil it kinda kills the whole swap idea. good luck and if you swp take pics.
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I know where I can get 2 corvair motors and a trans for $400 both suposedly ran when parked or pulled. How would they do in a BAJA, I dont know diddly about corvairs except they are chevy.

I Got Your Jeep Thing! Now It Hurts When I pee.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: