Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie Question - Auto transmission
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Newbie Question - Auto transmission Reply with quote

Just about to purchase my first Type3, so sorry if this question has been posted before and I'm pretty sure it was....

The squareback I'm looking at has an automatic transmission. I know a lot of people hate them and a lot of people swear by them. I just need to know what are the options out there if things go wrong? Can they be rebuilt OK? I've heard that replacing it with the manual tranny is a pain in the ass. Thanks in advance.....
wolfman's brother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISPwest has been known to have rebuild kits,the hardest part is the vacuum module if it should go out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search this forum. I think the vacuum part, along with many others, is shared with 1970's and 1980's Audi's. Remember, VW and Audi were kissing cousins at one time.
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember, VW and Audi were kissing cousins at one time.

They're still cousins. The Golf and Jetta (as well as NB) get a lot of trickle-down parts and tech from the Audi TT and A4, among others. It really helps that VW owns Audi (of course, you already knew that part Smile ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grethi,

I couldn't remember if Audi was weaned away from VW or not. At one time you could open the hood of an Audi and see VW stamped on many parts. I thought that in the 1990's Audi went out on it's own. It's been difficult to keep up with since VW acquired Rolls Royce and has done much horse trading. Either way, it is important for Noobs to be aware that the automatic is nothing to be shy of. I had plans to put my 1965 T34 body on a 1970 Square pan that was an auto. Had to get rid of all that stuff, but man did I have the dream going!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: