Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best way to fix this?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dockaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Best way to fix this? Reply with quote

I just purchased a '72 Adventurewagen. The body is pretty solid, but there are a few things that a PO did that I'd like to undo.

Specifically, he built a couple of racks for exterior gas cans and bolted them to the rear hatch:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are the eight holes, plus a crease in the hatch just under the bolts on the driver's side. I'm not looking to do a full resto at the moment and my experience is limited to a little filler and sanding work. First, how would I go about removing the crease?

Second, what about the holes? I'm guessing welding.

Thanks!
Scott

1966 Westfalia - 1600
1972 Adventurewagen - 1700
http://www.cube13.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
junk4cash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say hammer and dolly and then weld the holes, grind the welds, prime and try to get as close as you can as far as a match with some rattle can paint until you're ready to do a resto on it.
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junk4cash wrote:
I'd say hammer and dolly and then weld the holes, grind the welds, prime and try to get as close as you can as far as a match with some rattle can paint until you're ready to do a resto on it.

x2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or find another hatch, bay parts are still cheap. Just spraycan the body color, top will already be white most likely. Keep the old hatch and fix it right as mentioned above if you ever restore the bus.
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Or find another hatch, bay parts are still cheap. Just spraycan the body color, top will already be white most likely. Keep the old hatch and fix it right as mentioned above if you ever restore the bus.

That is what i would do as well, i would find another hatch.....you probabally could find one that is real nice for not much money and it would save alot of headache.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: