Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

suppressor shield on the distributor cap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: suppressor shield on the distributor cap Reply with quote

My 87 Westy doesn't have the suppressor shield on the distributor cap.
Should this be replaced and if so where can I find one and any hardware associated with it?
No access to junk yards with van parts locally!
JUST SOLD HER, WESTYLESS!
Good by cruel world!
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some had the metal shield and some had plastic with metal shielding molded inside. The plastic one is black. Do you hear a lot of radio noise? If it did, I would be concerned. Otherwise life will go on without it. If your future progeny have three eyes or some other odd genetic twist, maybe....

No, it is mainly for noise. The tiny gap the spark must jump, from the rotor to the pole in the cap is actually a very powerful source of radio emissions. In fact early short wave transmitters exploited this spark gap technology. It is most apparent in the AM band. It will induce a bit of energy in the surrounding wires, as they act as antennas. Potentially, it could confuse the ECU on the O2 sense wire, as part of it is unshielded, and its signal is very low in the first place. It is more of a precaution than a problem.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
Some had the metal shield and some had plastic with metal shielding molded inside. The plastic one is black. Do you hear a lot of radio noise? If it did, I would be concerned. Otherwise life will go on without it. If your future progeny have three eyes or some other odd genetic twist, maybe....

No, it is mainly for noise. The tiny gap the spark must jump, from the rotor to the pole in the cap is actually a very powerful source of radio emissions. In fact early short wave transmitters exploited this spark gap technology. It is most apparent in the AM band. It will induce a bit of energy in the surrounding wires, as they act as antennas. Potentially, it could confuse the ECU on the O2 sense wire, as part of it is unshielded, and its signal is very low in the first place. It is more of a precaution than a problem.

The only reason I inquired was because of my reading about ECU and O2 Sensor wire inteference, not Radio interference which I do not notice, since, I only use FM and i-pod anyway.
Van runs well except for cold start issue, which I'm working on.
Thanks, anyway!
Good by cruel world!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty low tech part. If you can't find one then you could easily make one. Functionally a piece of a tin can wire tied to the outside of the dizzy and grounded would work as well as the OEM one.
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered what the extra ground on my Dizzy was for!!!
Good by cruel world!
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: dist. shield Reply with quote

Is there much of a difference in functionality between the plastic ones with metal inside and the all metal ones? Are they interchangeable? Does it depend on the distributor?

Ed
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually swapped my metal one for the plastic/metal one on purely cosmetic issues, besides I already had both (the metal one was getting that crusty look). There is no difference in performance or noise (I looked with an oscilloscope). They both fit the same.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: