Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel injector cleaner
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: fuel injector cleaner Reply with quote

Does anyone run injector cleaner through their fuel. The guy that I bought my first van from said not to because it gums up the injectors. I've never done it since he told me that. Is this the case or was he misinformed?
bing
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mis informed I would say.

I like to run a can through it every 5K miles or so, but it really doesn't do much good or harm.

If you think yours are munged up, just send them off to cruzinperformance or witch hunter and have them cleaned and calibrated for <$100.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say he's misinformed. What gums up injectors is varnish residue accumulating on the fuel-handling parts of the injector. Cleaner dissolves the varnish and cleans the parts, especially the very finely-fitted nozzle and pintle which create the orifice and define the spray pattern.

Cleaner is a good thing, but there are some inferior products on the market, I suppose. I use a bottle of Techron about once a year, although I often fill at Chevron where the Techron is blended in the gas. It's been tested by Consumer Reports to actually do the job. Good thing to do an oil change soon afterward as petroleum distillates tend to thin the oil some.

Marvel Mystery Oil is also used by some as a fuel additive. It has detergents and will clean and lube the fuel system, as well as provide a little upper cylinder lubrication. Can't hurt. I don't know how effective it is at cleaning dirty injectors, though, compared to petroleum distillates like Techron. I would look at the MMO as more a maintenance thing than an outright cleaner, but I'm sure others will differ.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like BG 44K but i would be carefull with harsh additives. it not only cleans the fi system, but i also think its knocking crud loose in the tank. i also think the 10% ethanol gas at first played havoc with my bug and the vanagon when it was unleashed on most of us in spring of 06. my vanagon did not have clogged fuel fliter problems until the sumer of 06, not long after using the 10% blend. its just now started to settle down after about a doz fliter changes in the past 18 months. and i have not had to change the fliter in a few months.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Lucas brand every now and then,i'd say every 7-10 tank fulls.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of the MMO thing before. How much of it do you add to the tank.
thumpergti84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Redline.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

binger59 wrote:
a few ozs per tank full should do it. you dont want to go overboard with it.
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:
binger59 wrote:
a few ozs per tank full should do it. you dont want to go overboard with it.

yeah, if you add too much I'd imagine things would start to get a bit smokey

from the MMO website:

Quote:
ADDING TO FUEL

How much Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) do I put in my gasoline tank?
Marvel recommends using 4oz of MMO for every 10 gallons of gasoline.

Can I use MMO with every fill-up?
Yes. In fact many Marvel users who use MMO with every fill-up report significant increases in fuel mileage.

Will MMO cause any damage to oxygen sensors, fuel sensors or catalytic converters?
No. MMO has undergone rigorous testing to ensure the safety of all internal components in your vehicle including highly-sensitive oxygen sensors, fuel sensors and catalytic converters.

Can MMO be use in vehicles with fuel injectors?
Yes. MMO can be used in vehicles with fuel injectors. MMO provides additional lubrication to the injectors and helps prevent the formation of hard carbon deposits on the injectors. Injectors fouled with hard carbon deposits do not perform optimally and reduce mileage and performance.

Can I use Marvel Mystery Oil with diesel fuel and if so, how much do I use?
Yes, you can use MMO in diesel fuel as well as gasoline. Use the same amounts as the gasoline treatment recommendations-4ozs of MMO for every 10 gallons of fuel. However, MMO does not comply with federal low sulfur content requirements for use in model year 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles.

Is MMO compatible with BioDiesel?
Yes, MMO is compatible with BioDiesel and will provide the same benefits as when added to typical fuels.

Will the use of MMO in diesel fuel change the color so that it is easily confused with off-road diesel fuel?
When MMO is used in the recommended amounts in diesel fuel, it will not change the color. Off-road diesel fuel is dyed a bright red using a specific dye and concentration. Neither the dye used in MMO nor the concentration are the same as that used in off-road diesel fuel.

Can MMO be used with racing fuels such as methanol?
No, MMO cannot be used in racing fuels such as methanol. Certain components of MMO are not compatible with methanol and will not mix with methanol.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/main.taf?p=5
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
m2008s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Wayne wrote:
I use the Lucas brand every now and then,i'd say every 7-10 tank fulls.

- second
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually having a problem with stumbling acceleration; figuring at worst it was a $4 waste, I put a bottle of techron into about 1/2 a tank. Stumbling was gone by the end of the tank, never to return. I think cleaners of this sort are generally in the won't help much, won't harm at all range. This time it worked, so I'll be using Techron periodically after the engine rebuild, just to keep things on the cleaner side.

That said, getting your injectors cleaned is by far the better solution, and not much more in terms of money.

Recommend you try Cruzin or Witchhunter; I know every Volvo guy I've talked with that has done so has been more than satisfied with cost, service and quality of both shops.

Best,

Lanval
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I could drive I have always tried to fill up w/ Chevron. All of my cars have been very happy, and very low maintenance, even under heavy use conditions. I don't know squat about fuels (so I won't claim this/that/&theother), but what I do know is that Chevron fuels have been very good to me and the engines in all of the vehicles that I have owned. fwiw.......
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try and use Chevron gas as well. Lately Ive been using Arco because its Supreme gas is 50cents cheaper than Chevrons regular gas. Shocked
I recall a posting from ratwell that said he liked STP cause it contained
Jet Fuel in its formula.
Dr Bill Wattenberg ( anyone hear of him ) says all gas is the same and with the cleaners and detergents they put in todays gas its a waste of money to put in a Supreme when a Regular will work just as well and its just throwing money away to use any of injector cleaner.
I was told not to use any type of fuel injector cleaner or any type of fuel system cleaner cause it will degrade the seals on the injectors.
I havent used any cleaners of any kind since my engine rebuild and I did have FIC Corp, rebuild my injectors so Im going to leave well enough alone.
Maybe my next long trip Ill drop a few oz's of MMO in the tank just for giggles.
Its funny how we hear so many different opinions on the same subject, but thats what keeps the world rotating..
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Amzoil PI, the stuff has a lube to help the valve guides. Old engines seem to respond well to it. I have been using it for years.

Chevron Techtron is also very good but mostly a cleaner i think.
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splurge every 5th tank fillup with Shell, Mobile, or Exxon, and with a mid or high grade fillup. All three use a good fuel cleaning additive that helps keep the injectors clean.

Or follow the advice abouve and add a pint full of the fuel injector cleaner you can buy at your favorite FLAPS.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: F.I. Cleaners Reply with quote

I alternate between BG 44-K, which is considered the industry standard of fuel injector cleaners, and Techron--which is half as expensive. I'm essentially covering my bases. I must be doing something right, Winston purrs like a 4-cylinder opposed kitten. I only run the F.I. cleaners, though, twice in the year. You can overdo anything.

I do run the MMO in Winston's gas, not in his oil. Larry Blazer liked the idea, the Boxer isn't the worse at all for some top-end lubrication, and I find myself inclined to believe Marvel when they say it would prevent carbon deposits in the injectors. May as well keep the rings from getting too gummed up.

If you REALLY want to do something for your injectors, 'ticularly in an older Vanagon, make sure you've got two fuel filters in place--the little plastic one before the fuel pump, and the great big metal 'can' one after it. tencentlife so terrified me on the subject of what particles would do to my injectors that I retrofitted a 'can' into Winston at once.

Shocked

Best!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have an engine that isn't running right and I think that the problem is fuel related, whether fuel injected or carbed, the first thing I do is add fuel injection/carb cleaner. Real often the problem clears up within seconds. Can't imagine sending injectors out to be cleaned when when a $2 bottle will do the trick. I used to worry that I would damage some seal or hose doing this, but in twenty years of pouring cleaner in once or so a year I have never had any problem.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Wildthings...what brand of cleaner are you using.
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italian tune up = 1 can BG 44K + open highway at night + foot floored

I have no idea how effective 44K really is but I know a tuner who has helped many panic stricken customers who showed up at his shop with a rough running engine. After adding a can and going for a high rpm spin they were sent happily on their way.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is BJ 44K+...........Im a bench rest rifle shooter and this sounds like a "wild cat" cartridge some one has developed...
Can you be mnore specific. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: