Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for Gas Heater Rebuilding
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Source for Gas Heater Rebuilding Reply with quote

Scored a gas heater out of a totalled 73 thing. Who is a good source for rebuilding? i considered doing this myself...but I kinda don't like screwing with gas and electricity when I don't really know what I'm doing...

Tried to send Ark Mirvis an e-mail but it got returned as no-good...address was [email protected] <[email protected]>...

thanks,

dog
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://members.aol.com/arkmirvis/heaterman.html
You might try calling the number listed on his home page.
I seem to remember discussions elsewhere trying to contact him and not having any luck.
Perhaps his personal situation has dramatically changed.

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

When you put the 2 words "The" and "IRS" together it spells "Theirs"

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a copy of the latest Type 181 Magazine cd, it has an ad from a company in Oregon that rebuilds them. I'll post it later when I get home.
Spanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is JUNE 18th and THE HEATER MAN'S email address still bounces. Is he gone???
What about the company in Oregon?
Name please.
Thanks
1979 Vespa Scooters (2), 1981 BMW R65
'73 Thingy.
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found that company that repairs BN 4 heaters. It's Wagen Werks. Contact Kevin Penington 321 SE Craig Rd, Shelton WA 98584. 360-427-0530. [email protected]. I don't know if he's still in business. The ad in Type 181 Magazine says you get a 10% discount if you give him your membership number.
DUNEDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned to overhaul and repair mine, they are really simple when it comes right down to it.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUNEDRIVER wrote:
I just learned to overhaul and repair mine, they are really simple when it comes right down to it.

They sure are.. I've rebuilt close a dozen of them

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thermostat is the problem with mine. The bi-metallic spring is sprung and I cant get it to make contact. I still need to play with adjusting the cable to see if that will work.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I got screwed up, Ark was going to sell me the gas heater business said he was retiring, so I dont know what he did with all his stuff. He must have moved. You can try a nationwide search for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Heater Repair Reply with quote

I repair the South Wind Heaters. I have a lot new and used parts from Stewart Warner South Wind. I am rebuilding two fuel pumps and two combustion chambers for guys on the east coast. Another will be for a customers of Al at northeastheaters, which I am currently buying out.
I have used thermostat and microswitch used, tested and good for 75.00, 85.00 with shipping.
If you need your combustion chamber rebuilt I can do it for 225.00 including shipping. The rebuild will be with new parts.

Let me know what you need.

Last edited by kme_eone on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another resource is marty allen from denver. he is an expert on the later BN2 and BN4 heaters and does excellent work. i've installed his rebuilt heaters and they are perfect. he is a samba member.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9870
EddieWong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Source for Gas Heater Rebuilding Reply with quote

mstatedog wrote:
Scored a gas heater out of a totalled 73 thing. Who is a good source for rebuilding? i considered doing this myself...but I kinda don't like screwing with gas and electricity when I don't really know what I'm doing...

Tried to send Ark Mirvis an e-mail but it got returned as no-good...address was [email protected] <[email protected]>...

thanks,

dog

Hi-
I do gas htr service for all VW models built. If you know what you' re going to put it in and what condition it is I might give you the advice you need. [email protected]
mrea46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: HEAT...HEAT... Reply with quote

After reading the posts on here I was able to go through my BN4 and now it produces Real heat.... BWAHHHAAAA.It Western Colorado That is a nice thing to have in the fall and winter..

Thank you all so much for your discussions. I could not have done it with out the thread..
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: HEAT...HEAT... Reply with quote

mrea46 wrote:
After reading the posts on here I was able to go through my BN4 and now it produces Real heat.... BWAHHHAAAA.It Western Colorado That is a nice thing to have in the fall and winter..

Thank you all so much for your discussions. I could not have done it with out the thread..

Congrats!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrafindley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine is the fuel pump but not sure i wish it would work. I get mine to spark and the fan blows but thats it and the timer switch works cause it will turn off after a while of blowing and I have to turn it again

http://w2.wolfsburgii.com/downloads.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://veewiki2.webfactional.com/HeaterBN4/

Quote:
When the pump is working, it'll click once every second or so. You can hear it in a Thing if you put your ear near the left-front wheel well. If you don't hear the pump clicking when the heater is running, you can remove the wires feeding it and check to see if it's getting that 12v pulse. If you see the pulse but the pump isn't clicking, then the pump is the issue.

Usually, the pump locks up requiring some maintenance. It's quite hardy, but will freeze up if not used every month or two. Hitting it with a hammer will often fix it - give it a few gentle whacks to free it up and it'll often start working again. If it hasn't worked in a long time, you may have to pull it from the car, wash out all the old fuel, give it a few jolts of 12v direct from the battery (CAREFUL CAREFUL of spark and shooting fuel!) and reinstall.

Note that the polarity of the wires to the pump does not matter. If you look very carefully, you'll see that there are no markings for which lead is which on the pump. The solenoid doesn't care.

mrafindley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try this good info must have missed it before

http://w2.wolfsburgii.com/downloads.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: heater trouble Reply with quote

From much investigation on this heater stuff:

when you get 12v solid, no pulse at the fuel pump;
it's usually the contacts inside the heater thats supposed to: for every 33turns of the fan 'click' which is supposed to pulse the 12v to the fuel pump, the pump is actually a solenoid so it works via voltage applied in an 'on off fashion' (not steady like you'd think a regular fuel pump should be).

I tested mine with a volt meter in place of the fuel pump, no pulse.

the Prev Owner of my THING said other items were diagnosed as bad for the heater, but I believe they were incorrect.
Alas; I have yet to pull this heater and investigate it but I thought I'd provide what I know to this point if it helps anyone.

I'm always open to help as well, a working heater would be wonderful.

I'm planning on visiting the Kentucky Kubel Treffen in July so I'm going to try to get more info from some folks in the know and go from there.

Be nice if we had a East coast Heater Guru!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddie'O and I fixed his points - it was a pain to do. Took us a few hours to disassemble the heater, took some creative work to get the points to the correct setting (can no longer just use the factory gap - no enough motion) then took a few hours to put it back together. It ran once we installed it though.

Anybody every install a relay inline to alleviate the high-current through those hard-to-replace and impossible-to-buy points?
imanerrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for Gas Heater Rebuilding Reply with quote

Hi guys, I need a Safety Thermal Cutout switch for my heater. Anyone know of a supplier ?[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: