Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

paint job cost?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Led Zeppelin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: paint job cost? Reply with quote

Can anyone give me an estimate on how much a new paintjob on a bug would cost (same or different color)?
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on the type of paintjob, meaning what type of prep work they do for you, what type of primer, paint, clear, etc. the quality varies and therefore so do the prices. like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. you can get a paintjob for 300, 400 bucks or even less i guess, but i assure you it will be crap and will probably start chipping off or fading in a few months. and you can pay into the thousands.

my car spent a year at a friend's body shop. it was stripped to bare metal, the rust got taken care of, and they did a superb prep job. they used good quality primer, paint and clear. it was worth the wait, and i ended up paying like 3000 dollars for it. a lot of money? for sure, but it's a damn good paintjob. and that's what good paint jobs cost, at least from what i've seen/heard from other people too.

i dunno that's my two cents. bottom line is that you get what you pay for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Led Zeppelin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx!
ottobahn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on where you go,I went to Miracle and they did a fairly decent job,it was around 600.00,two tone. Word of advice,pull off all the rubber you can,around the fenders,take out the fender beading,it's easy to do and replace it with new when painting is done,its cheap and easy to do.Take off running boards,outside door handles,anything that covers up the metal on the body.Take your time looking at the car and think about all the stuff that gets in the way of your metal body parts.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am budgeting about $4k, but I suspect it will run a bit higher for the quality I am looking for.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: $1000 Reply with quote

I'm expecting to spend about $1000 for the labor of prep and painting. I am providing the paint, sealer, and primer myself...which cuts down on the cost because it is easy to order direct from HOK.

I think that if I can get good, quality paint and a paint shop that KNOWS how to prep a car that $1000 will get me a good paint job that will last me years. From what I've been told...it's ALL in the prep. Cheap paint jobs are cheap because the shop doesn't spend enough time prepping the car.

I've seen paint jobs done in someone's garage using Krylon spray cans that look better and last longer than some full service body shops "special" reduced price paint jobs. That's because of the prep.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to spend a fortune, you just have to do it right. Check out this guys site . Not a bad job for less than $500.

jeffrey
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check around at the local body shops. I had a bug painted for 600. I stripped all parts that needed and I reassembled when it was done. I had a little body work done at the time also. Its a daily driver paint job, looks good a 10 foot. Could have gotten the same job and paid 2 thou if I wanted. Oh forgot to mention it took 3 months, guy would work on it in his spare time. Tell them what you want and how much pre prep you'll do. The more you do the less it costs. You find the right shop and youre set. Just remember check out some of their work on other cars first so you know what your getting.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500 to $10,000, depending upon what the painter charges, not necessarily upon quality. Though for the higher end of the range, you MIGHT get a better paintjob. No guarantees, though.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pickdr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Earl Shieb Reply with quote

Got mine done at Shieb. the people there paint cars for a living, they are good at it. 98% of a good paint job is preparation. take your time sanding it, use some good primer, and i'm sure that will cut down on the cost in the end. you won't have to pay someone for the work that you can do yourself. as long as you do a good prep, you can get decent paint (especially for a daily driver) for 500-600 bucks!
-dave
HomespunKustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint it yourself!! If something goes wrong you will only have to deal with yourself and it will be a great learning experience.

'68 type 1 Kit

I am Spiderman. (part deux)
casurfer911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have any info about painting a car yourself, like a howto guide. And how well can it turn out if you do it yourself?
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if nothing else, you can prep it yourself. removing (and reinstalling) all of the little bits, bumpers, lights, windows, handles, wipers, etc. takes a lot of time in itself, not to mention sanding to a smooth, stable surface... and its also something you can do in your driveway without upsetting the neoghbors. delivering a bare car to the painters should save you 25% no matter where you go, not to mention ensure thay dont paint over the trim pieces and door handles. i prepped my fist bug myself and took it to scheib. at the time, they were charging $99. i chipped in a bit extra for the "upgrades". it was a darn nice paintjob for the price -- no runs or orangepeel. especially for a $1000 71 standard. on the flip side, i took a 51 ford (which was a prop for a movie) with *no* prep for a quick "refresher" before filming and the same shop painted over everything -- including the previous aligator-skin paintjob... good thing the final shot was a drive-by and not a close-up.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just reserch online you can find LOTS of helpful info. The first paintjob I did was on my bug in December. Let me just start by saying that its tons of work. It was however, lots of fun. Its amazing to go out to the garage the day after its finished and see it after you havent been staring at it all day. And you know that you did it yourself. Also keep in mind if you are going to use HOK, its 3 times more work and money than a standard bc/cc. HOK does have the coolest colors available though. I was able to paint mine myself, and buy all the top of the line equipment (guns, buffers, da's) and still spent less than the quotes I got for the same job from the pro's. And since I had the equipment, I have painted a car and 2 motorcycles and made up all the money I spent on mine and the tools, plus had money left over to boot.
kalamazoovwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spent $3500 having my '62 baja painted. it was rust free, and i removed all trim, windows, etc... before dropping it off. Paint was expensive (lexus champagne silver), it had to be stripped down to bare steel (had 4 layers of paint), and had quite a few dents.

Around here, you're lucky to find a body shop that will even do non-insurance work.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lucky kalamazoovwguy, I looked everywhere within a 100 mile radius of my house and only found 2 guys that would do my car, all the rest only wanted insurance work. The 2 bids I did get were between $6,000 and $7000 to do the color I was doing. Thats why i decided to paint it myself.
casurfer911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking into repainting my interior, would a sandblaster be too harsh to remove all of the crap ie old insulation. Or would i still be able to paint over the sandblasted area?
casurfer911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking into repainting my interior, would a sandblaster be too harsh to remove all of the crap ie old insulation. Or would i still be able to paint over the sandblasted area?
RATRODVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it's of any use to you, but I work for a PPG jobber here in Santa Rosa, and I can give some good deals on paint, and I also know a lot of good painters looking for side jobs and the such. Wink Anybody need help or advice email me at [email protected].
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: