Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can a propane tank from a 70's Van be used in an 80's Van?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
id
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Can a propane tank from a 70's Van be used in an 80's Van? Reply with quote

I have an 86 2.1 L Vanagon with a propane tank that is rusted to the point of the tag being held on by two welds.

I have located a used tank from a 70's Westy that is in good shape. Will it work with the van I've got?

(It's a bit of a hike into the States to get the "new" tank)
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same.
id
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what ways do they differ? Can the tank be easily modified to work on my van?
shoblime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think nowadays you are supposed to be using a new tank altogether, someone can correct me if this is wrong, but I thought there was a new type of safety valve or something mandated now.
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the old tanks (i.e. vanagon era) are fine ~ the regulations were discussed in a thread here last summer, and the consensus was that the vanagon tanks were always in compliance with the regulations that are stipulated, at least here in CA.

Some other issues seem likely though; one is that the baywindow tanks were on the opposite side of the bus ~ underneath the sliding door. At the very minimum, the outlets would probably be facing the wrong way. I would also assume that the mounting brackets are NOT the same, and thus would require drilling in either the brackets or your van. There might be other concerns as well, like with the regulator pressure being different or something like that.

At the end of the day, I would have to think that a gas tank is a gas tank. Mine is an 82, so only 3 years older than a 79 baywindow. That would suggest there can't be THAT MUCH difference in terms of safety/quality in the tank itself ~ allowing that there were no major changes in tank safety regulation between those years (a situation of which I am ignorant).

You might consider posting this question over on the bay window forum, on the assumption that those guys will be more 'up' on the viability of using the earlier tank ~ questions of regulators and whatnot being something they should know plenty about.

Best,

Lanval
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have sent at least 5 PM's to a fellow Samba poster here for a propane tank he had for sale for my 84, and never got a response back after his initial acknowledgement that he had one stored away. I vent and digress.

I finally found another from an earlier model Vanagon, a late 70's I'm guessing. Anyhow, I had to buy a steel plate from a recycling center to mount this propane tanks brackets to, then the plate was mounted to my 84 Westy's mounting location. In all, it was cheaper to do this than to pay for a new one.

You may have to modify the gas lines, as the propane tank I installed has the regulator and gas lines to the right of the tank, whereas the original tank for the 84's had this setup on the left. Again, no big deal if your handy with a tube bender.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
id
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lanval et al for the information. I guess if the tank is fitted with the outlet piping facing to the right and the mounting bolts are at a different spacing I could try mounting the tank under the sliding door.

(This has been discussed on other threads I believe?)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: